Dawson's M-416 Build - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Dawson's M-416 Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 11-24-2008, 01:08 AM   #31
TwistedcaB-
1991 XJ Cherokee 

i would use some stock jeep flares when ya get to em that would look pretty BA

TwistedcaB- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2008, 09:55 AM   #32
mcneil
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawsonc61 View Post
T

I'll figure it out sooner or later. Looks like i need to revise the sketch-up file!

Did you beadlock your trailer wheels? That's extreme!

Also, give us a systems overview please. You've got a lot of equipment boxes hanging on the tongue there, what's it all do? Is that a power distribution center? did you put a camping shower on there?

This project is an inspiration for the bare metal frame that came together in my garage this weekend (build thread to come..)
mcneil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2008, 10:13 AM   #33
Hybrid Jeep
1976 CJ5 

Yep.. that is by far the coolest thing I've seen. I lay awake at night thinking of a trailer like that!

Any pics with the tent expanded? Also.. any pics with it on the Jeep? Offroad on the trail pics? Very cool indeed.
Hybrid Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2008, 10:31 AM   #34
dawsonc61
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry guys, not my trailer. You need to go back and read post #29 a little more carefully. I just put that picture there to illustrate what i wanted to do to my trailer. Boctor's build thread can be seen here
dawsonc61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2008, 10:37 PM   #35
dawsonc61
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Well big thanks are in order for BenE for helping me out tremendously this weekend. He managed to fit my little project into his schedule and I really appreciate it. Beer, welding, and shootin' the bull. What else can you ask for?

I went down to the metal yard on Saturday morning to pick up some 1x1 square tubing. Ben does the hard work by welding the 1x1 to the lip of the tub. I just cleaned it up with my flap wheel. Anyway, it looks so much better and doesn't look so "unfinished" even though I've got so much more to do.

Before:

After:

I'm hoping to get a welder for Christmas so things are really going to take off on this build in January.
Unread 12-31-2008, 12:11 AM   #36
dawsonc61
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I've finally made a little more progress on the M416. A huge thanks to Mike Green for his help and expertise. We cut the tail off and framed it out. We also welded the fenders on. Next step, the tailgate itself. Here are some pics of the work we've done so far:

More to come!

D
Unread 12-31-2008, 12:19 AM   #37
kolten493
2000 TJ Wrangler 

looks sweet
why does your square tubing say turkey? made in turkey lol?
Unread 01-01-2009, 10:40 PM   #38
dawsonc61
2003 TJ Wrangler 

yeah I noticed that too. I guess it was imported from Turkey.
Unread 01-02-2009, 05:10 PM   #39
JeepFreak21

Nice build so far! Any hopes of making that tailgate water tight for deep crossings?
Billy
JeepFreak21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2009, 11:32 PM   #40
dawsonc61
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'll put a rubber gasket around the edge of the gate to make it water "resistant" but I doubt I'll be fording any rivers anytime soon so water proofing isn't necessary.

D
Unread 01-05-2009, 06:35 AM   #41
04RedTJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

It sure is coming along nicely, been watching the build for awhile. It looks like a very capable trailer.
04RedTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2009, 10:10 PM   #42
dawsonc61
2003 TJ Wrangler 

OK People!!!! Updates!

I went over to my good ol' buddy Mike Green's place to finish up phase one of the trailer build. We welded the top and bottom rail to the diamond plate section of steel. I had this piece cut to fit at a metal shop. We then welded the hinges and gate onto the tub of the trailer. I haven't gotten the clasps, rubber weather stripping, and cables installed yet but I'll take care of that this week. Here are the pics of the progress:

Tail gate with top rail welded

We went ahead and took the tub off of the frame to make welding a little easier

Prepping opening for welding

Without tub

We put the trailer up on end to weld the hinges to the bottom of the tub. We welded the other side of the hinge to the inside of the gate so it wouldn't be visible from the outside.

Mike welding the inside of the gate and hinge together

And back on the trailer

Closed

I really like the way this turned out! I'm able to utilize the entire back end now instead of the small space i would have been left with if I had used the CJ tailgate as originally planned.

I really need to weigh this thing! The weight will determine the final design of the lid and roof rack. More updates to come!

I'm now in the market for a roof top tent so if anyone knows of a seller keep me posted. Thanks a ton for all the comments and interest.

D
Unread 01-24-2009, 11:06 PM   #43
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Lookin' good...

Need a server? Buy this one!

COTM - October 2012!

If you want to help the sport of offroading visit the EnviroBeat Forum!

Blue Ribbon Coalition | Idaho State 4x4 Association | UFWDA | NAXJA | The KAT Team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Oh man Chili. I feel like a recovering addict that just had a bag of blow, a bottle of Jameson, and a sack dropped in his lap. You screwed me man!
ChiliPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2009, 11:01 AM   #44
prd_cdn
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPalmer View Post
Lookin' good...
x2 Absolutely !! Lookin real good !!
prd_cdn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2009, 08:06 PM   #45
dawsonc61
2003 TJ Wrangler 

No real updates today. It's pretty nasty outside! I started from scratch again on Shetch-up. My last mock up was not to scale and I guessed on a lot of the measurments. This one is exactly to scale to my trailer. This is what my lid will look like after it is made. The RTT will come soon after that.

Hopefully I'll have the Lid done next week and the RTT should be on the week after that!

Thanks,

D

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.