Dawson's M-416 Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Dawson's M-416 Build

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 10-09-2008, 11:40 PM   #1
dawsonc61
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Dawson's M-416 Build

Look what I found!

The guy I bought it from had a new tub fabricated to the same specs as the original, just made out of 1/8" steel this time around. The sides and bottom are made of a single sheet of steel with the front and rear welded on. The front and rear sheets need to be cut, as you can see in the pics. The tub isn't bolted to the frame yet either. I'm going to need to weld some angle iron onto the bottom in order to bolt the tub to the frame.

I'm live in the DFW Metroplex so if any of you guys live here and can help i need it!:

Step 1: Cutting. I need to find someone with a cutting torch or plasma cutter. I'll bring beer and reimburse for any costs incurred. Disclaimer: The author of this thread is not responsible for any accidents caused by anyone drunkenly wielding a cutting torch/plasma cutter.

Step 2: Welding. I need to find Someone with a MIG or TIG welder and welding skills. Again, I'll provide beer and reimbursement for any cost incurred. Disclaimer: The author of this thread is not responsible for any accidents caused by anyone drunkenly wielding a MIG/TIG welding instrument.

Step 3: Sand Blasting. I used ICA to sandblast and powdercoat my PSC Rocker Knockers so I'll probably use them again for this sandblasting. That is unless anyone knows of a shop that'll sandblast for cheap. Please let me know!

Step 4. Paint. I'll probably buy a pneumatic paint gun and do this on my own.

Thanks in advance for comments/suggestions. I really need help from those of you who have welders/cutting equipment.

Thanks,

Dawson

Last edited by dawsonc61; 10-12-2008 at 06:24 PM.. Reason: Metal is 1/8" thick, not 3/16" as originally estimated.
dawsonc61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2008, 07:14 AM   #2
USMCredneck
1979 CJ5 

I wish I could find something like that.

Nice looking trailer. Keep the pics coming.
Unread 10-10-2008, 04:17 PM   #3
Bigbob

I'd love to help ya. Have you weighted it yet? The 3/16" is gonna be awfully heavy. With 3/16" there would be no need for a frame.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2008, 11:54 AM   #4
2K1TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob View Post
I'd love to help ya. Have you weighted it yet? The 3/16" is gonna be awfully heavy. With 3/16" there would be no need for a frame.
x2!!!

Looks really nice though. What are your plans for it? Stock-type build or something different?
2K1TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2008, 01:38 PM   #5
prd_cdn
Web Wheeler

Nice!! Great Find ~~ Have fun !!

prd_cdn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2008, 06:23 PM   #6
dawsonc61
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob View Post
Ha ha. True...i overestimated on the thickness of the metal. It's only 1/8", but still pretty thick. I don't know what the original thickness was. Hmmm.
Unread 10-13-2008, 06:50 PM   #7
scooterchef
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i dig the trailer, but i like the sticker in your back window better!!!
scooterchef is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2008, 10:40 AM   #8
dawsonc61
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Well my new buddy Keith and I did a little work on the trailer yesterday evening. We mounted the tub to the frame with some 3/16" tabs and 1/2" grade 8 bolts.

Then we mounted the old trailer lights and and wired it up so I could drive home safely! This is temporary. I think we will build a bumper and put lights directly in the bumper.

When I got home, I took a cutting wheel and removed the excess metal from the front and rear of the tub.

Before:

After:

Anyway, just keeping everyone updated. A BIG thanks to Keith Maddox for his help and expertise.
Unread 10-16-2008, 10:59 AM   #9
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawsonc61 View Post
Ha ha. True...i overestimated on the thickness of the metal. It's only 1/8", but still pretty thick. I don't know what the original thickness was. Hmmm.
1/8" is still thick, but it should be a tough trailer. I think the original was 16-18 gauge. The original floor was probably 1/8".

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterchef View Post
i dig the trailer, but i like the sticker in your back window better!!!

Ditto X 100
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2008, 11:17 AM   #10
mg2000xj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

looks solid, I wish I could find one.
Utah Jeep Crew Member #119
My Webshots
New Build
Old Build
mg2000xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2008, 12:32 PM   #11
gribbles
2000 TJ Wrangler 

looks good man.....also wanted to say I am diggin on the NObama sticker

My Jeep

2000 TJ, 100" wb on leaves
2007 WK CRD
gribbles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2008, 11:22 PM   #12
dawsonc61
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The NOBAMA sticker has been a big hit. Lots of thumbs up on the road. I did get the finger the other day from a dude in a Prius....go figure!
Unread 10-19-2008, 01:34 PM   #13
garthbrown
2003 TJ Wrangler 

What are you planning to use it for? Hauling, camping, everything?
1955 Willys Wagon SBC

Last edited by garthbrown; 10-19-2008 at 01:34 PM.. Reason: Misread prior post...
garthbrown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2008, 02:24 PM   #14
dawsonc61
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by garthbrown View Post
What are you planning to use it for? Hauling, camping, everything?
Camping, once finished It will have a lid and a RTT on top. Onboard with be a 40 gal water tank, 3 Energizer deep cycle marine batteries (run in series to a power inverter), 2 propane tanks, a small kitchen compartment with burners and hot plate, and some sort of LED outdoor lighting system. I'm sure I'm leaving off things but you'll see it develop.
Unread 10-24-2008, 09:09 AM   #15
dawsonc61
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Well I've been messin' around with Google "SketchUp" and here's what I've come up with:

I'll be designing the interior of the tub next, including a water tank, deep cycle batteries, sliding runner with kitchen components and propane setup.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.