Dana 44 shaft length - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Dana 44 shaft length

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-11-2014, 08:03 PM   #16
jason m
your ad here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by baktie_91YJ View Post
ltrail normally I would agree with you, but this is going to be a full float dana 44 with 14 bolt shafts
Why? A 14 bolt shaft works so well cause it backed up by the rest of the axles strength, you add those shafts to a lighter duty axle like the 44 you wont gain anything but a shift in where the next failure will come from, the R&P.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...lys/mytire.jpg

I put the hole weight of my Jeep onto one wedged 14 bolt shaft to the point were I did not move forward but upward. Yes the front tires came off the ground trying to unwedge that rear tire, finally it broke free. The rock was touching the inside of the rim in that pic.

So ask yourself, yes you will have 14 bolt shafts, but what will the rest of the axle handle, oh and when we were done for the day I pulled the shaft figuring I had a twisted spline and of course the spline were fine.

Nothing beats a 14 bolt, period. Build it right the first time and it will last for years.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2014, 11:20 AM   #17
baktie_91YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The plan is to take a Currie Rockjock 44 (uses JK44 gears) and weld the spindles on to make it full float. The operating diameter of the 14B shafts is large enough that I can get them shortened and resplined to the 44 30 spline pattern. I only ever plan on running 37's so I'll have almost 1 ton strength and 44 clearance. The front is going to be a hybrid too, HP44 housing with D50 gears and 35 spline D60 shafts and outers with a 35 spline ARB
baktie_91YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2014, 05:23 PM   #18
jason m
your ad here...

The neck in the shafts will be the breaking point on the rear 44. If you decide to run a 35 spline rear 44 the pinion becomes the next weak link. So even your idea of a 44/50/60 the 44 pinion is what will give up first.

I'm not here to tell you how or what to fab, but a 60/14 bolt shaved ( both axle's ) will give you plenty of ground clearance with 37's. Heck I got friend that run 37 red lables on one ton's with no shave.
The minor difference in ground clearance is not worth giving up the strength and if you stick to a one ton platform and not a "maybe one ton" you can grow into your axle's.

Build the 50 front if you all ready have it into a 35 ( 35 spline side gears machined into the 50 carrier welded into a spool ) and at least you will have a 35 spline 1.5" axle in a larger ring gear axle than the 44.

Again not trying to tell you how to build it, just search pirate or were ever and see who built a hybrid axle like your talking about, see were they are with that front, either they out grew it fast or it never really lived up to what they wanted.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2014, 07:22 PM   #19
baktie_91YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

the rear is going to be 30 spline so im not too worried about that. especially with only 37's
Unread 02-13-2014, 06:41 AM   #20
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

One other benefit of using factory one tons.. off-the-shelf parts.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2014, 07:19 AM   #21
baktie_91YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I'm using stock 14 bolt shafts just resplined, stock hubs. Just combined with other stock parts
Unread 02-13-2014, 09:42 PM   #22
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

Why not a sterling? Has the 35 spline if memory serves me and clearance of a 60, disks, all the bells and whistles. Let me say that two weeks ago a samurai on d44's had a bad day on 36 iroks on a trail. Broken shaft which wobbling wiped a ball joint. I know it was a front, but smaller tire, lighter rig, etc. Jason has saved me from wasting astronomical amount of money on something (more than once) that would have worked, but could have been a lot better. As much preaching as one of us could do may or may not sway your build. But if it helps its for the greater good.

I still will eventually build 609's, 35 splined, with 10" gears, but that's still more effective than d44 tenfold. You You could do a Jana 54, but then you shifts back to the skinny shaft idea, or a pinion. Best of luck to you!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.