dana 30 axle truss - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > dana 30 axle truss

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-16-2004, 11:32 AM   #1
js2

dana 30 axle truss

I am looking to truss my front dana 30 anyone have any pics ? I want to fab it myself any help much appreciated!!!! Thanks

Unread 10-18-2004, 03:43 AM   #2
rockdw72

http://www.stu-offroad.com/fabbed/fab-1.htm

I kind of like this one
Unread 10-21-2004, 08:08 AM   #3
BamaJeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by js2
I am looking to truss my front dana 30 anyone have any pics ? I want to fab it myself any help much appreciated!!!! Thanks
Why in the helll would you???
Unread 10-21-2004, 11:53 AM   #4
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaJeeper
Why in the helll would you???
I was kinda wondering the same thing myself. Normally, an axle is trussed to resist axle tube bending forces associated with either torque (like a dragster where the tires are trying to drive forward so hard they can bend the axle tubes forward) or upward force (as in jumping the vehicle where the hard landings can bend the axle tubes upward). Since your average Jeep is neither a pavement pounding dragster nor a Baja Racer (I assume) then you really don't need one unless you just want it for looks. Plus, it takes away from ground clearance.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2004, 11:12 PM   #5
Qman

i would like to know how they are turning 44x18.5 hawgs a D60 would have a hard time holding up to those tires...
Qman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2004, 11:04 PM   #6
Jnmielcarek

Have you looked into a front axle upgrade? I'm currently working on a dana 44 for the front of mine. My dana 30 housing and tubes have been the least of my hassles. Broken carriers, u-joints, and shafts have been the weak points of a Dana 30 for me. I have, however, gotten my Jeep airborn on several occasions. Three weeks ago I launched the front end about an honest five feet when coming out of a dry pit. (Thought I was going to set the Jeep on the back tire carrier). I have not bent the tubes as of yet and I'm lugging around a heavy 360 V-8. I ALWAYS have the tires aired down when I'm off-roading and that helps cushion the landing a lot.

[COLOR=DarkRed]"It's not a party until something gets broke!"[/COLOR]
Jnmielcarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2004, 02:48 PM   #7
js2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnmielcarek
Have you looked into a front axle upgrade? I'm currently working on a dana 44 for the front of mine. My dana 30 housing and tubes have been the least of my hassles. Broken carriers, u-joints, and shafts have been the weak points of a Dana 30 for me. I have, however, gotten my Jeep airborn on several occasions. Three weeks ago I launched the front end about an honest five feet when coming out of a dry pit. (Thought I was going to set the Jeep on the back tire carrier). I have not bent the tubes as of yet and I'm lugging around a heavy 360 V-8. I ALWAYS have the tires aired down when I'm off-roading and that helps cushion the landing a lot.
Yes , I have been looking into axle swap as well. I want to do both front and rear to widen stance and gain stability. I have blown 2 u-joints since purchase 1 each time I have wheeled it. Clearly the 30 isn't up to the task!!! I was just looking for something cheap I could do to beef up what I have and possibly help on the resale side to help pay for new axles. I jumped my jeep first time out. I didn't even come close to 5 feet, Maybe 1 foot but both tires off the ground , does that count as a jump. I'm running the 304 with 44" tires aired down to 5 lbs. thanks for the helpful response.
Unread 10-31-2004, 05:10 PM   #8
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Jumping a Jeep isn't all that good for it. Jumping a Jeep with a D30 is looking for trouble. Jumping a Jeep with a D30 and 44" tires is begging for trouble. You need to have the video camera ready next time so you can capture the spectacular failure at the steering knuckles or spindles when the front tires fold up in grand fashion.. just talking a little smack 'cause it's Halloween..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2004, 04:50 AM   #9
BamaJeeper

If you are gonna be jumping and want more track width then start looking for D60s or better yet 2.5 ton Rockwells.

You are asking WAY too much from a D30!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.