Cut my DOM for my steering too short what should I do? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 01-19-2012, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Ezalycasaid

Cut my DOM for my steering too short what should I do?

Im making my steering out of 1.5 x .250" DOM and I cut my damn drag link 2 inches too short somehow.. I have a 1 3/4 and a 3/8" piece I can sleeve over. Now should I even attempt this and if so should I just cut it in the center and weld those pieces there. OR should I use those peices on the end and sleeve them there. Im useing weld in threaded bungs. OR should I just start over. I also have about a 1 foot piece I can use of the 1.5" dom. What do u guys think?

Old build 99 TJ 100wb on 35s and arbs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New build D60s, 40s etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I void warranties.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-19-2012, 03:45 PM
Airborne4X4

1948 CJ2A 

I'd not feel comfortable sticking it back together to get that 2". I'd get another piece of DOM and start over.

Measure twice, cut once...not Measure twice, cut once, then re-weld it.

1948 CJ2a
post #3 of 13 Old 01-19-2012, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Ezalycasaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne4X4 View Post
I'd not feel comfortable sticking it back together to get that 2". I'd get another piece of DOM and start over.

Measure twice, cut once...not Measure twice, cut once, then re-weld it.
I actually measure 4 times... I dont understand what happened, unless the tubing slipped out of the cutoff clamp while I wasnt looking .

New build D60s, 40s etc.

I void warranties.

post #4 of 13 Old 01-19-2012, 04:46 PM
timatoe
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'd start over. That being said, I couldn't use the stock draglink when I went to cross over steering so I got a stock XJ draglink, cut it in half butt welded it and sleeved it with square tubing, been working great for about two years. But if I shell out the bucks for DOM and all the rest, I'd want it to look better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #5 of 13 Old 01-19-2012, 05:16 PM
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Strength wise, I think you could probably get by with the sleeving as a last resort. However, if I were this far, I'd just pick up another tube and start all over.. to wind up with a cleaner product in the end.

What about using the shorter DOM for a Drag Link?

'80 CJ5 w/AMC360, T176, D44 w/Detroit 4.56, RE 4" YJ lift and 35s..

post #6 of 13 Old 01-19-2012, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Ezalycasaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
Strength wise, I think you could probably get by with the sleeving as a last resort. However, if I were this far, I'd just pick up another tube and start all over.. to wind up with a cleaner product in the end.

What about using the shorter DOM for a Drag Link?

Well I guess I could go that way but this was my initial plan.
Attached Thumbnails
steeringfixed.jpg  

New build D60s, 40s etc.

I void warranties.
post #7 of 13 Old 01-19-2012, 09:03 PM
webdog
1990 XJ Cherokee 

I welded a 6" section in on my steering, I chamfered the edges and made sure to clean it really well before welding. It has held up, but I plan to replace that tube soon, when I redo my track bar mount.
post #8 of 13 Old 01-20-2012, 04:27 AM
jon1371usmc
2004 LJ Wrangler 

If it was me, and with the cost of DOM tubing I would sleeve it but on the inside rather than the outside. Get a 12" piece of smaller dom tubing (1x.120 wall), cut main tierod tube in middle, drill several holes on either side around entire circumference, also cut the extension piece out of same size of main tube with holes drilled, insert inner sleeve into one side and plug weld the holes. Slip on extension and then the other side, fill all plug welds, and weld up each butt joint. Grind welds and paint. No reason it can't be just as strong if not stronger due to the sleeving. if your technique is good plus if done right you'll never be able to tell. Just weld in small increments to keep heat to a minimum to prevent warpage
post #9 of 13 Old 01-20-2012, 05:58 PM
jason m
Nothing but the facts

Sleeve it with a chunk of 2" 1/4 wall, but dont cut the sleeve flush, on each end cut them at a angle and then weld them. Ive done it a few times and never broke one.
I then place my steering lug on the 2" chunk and just tell peaple I wanted it there for more strength

Jason.

1993 YJ 4.0 60 Front, Rear steer 60, bolth spooled, 5.38's, 700r/241 39.5 iroks and beating it like it owes me money.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt...

The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.

post #10 of 13 Old 01-20-2012, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Ezalycasaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason m View Post
Sleeve it with a chunk of 2" 1/4 wall, but dont cut the sleeve flush, on each end cut them at a angle and then weld them. Ive done it a few times and never broke one.
I then place my steering lug on the 2" chunk and just tell peaple I wanted it there for more strength

Jason.
lol nice. I actually just bought new tubeing. 31 more dollars but now I have extra DOM. Heres a tacked together shot. Its BEEFY.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0317.jpg  

New build D60s, 40s etc.

I void warranties.
post #11 of 13 Old 01-20-2012, 09:10 PM
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Just something to remember, sleeving a piece of tube has been done like..... forever to repair or lengthen a section so it's ok if done properly.
post #12 of 13 Old 01-20-2012, 09:13 PM
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Are you doing this on the beach or something??? Lol! Looks good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
Sometimes a restoration project is a labor of love, at which point cost, time, and labor involved become irrelevant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
post #13 of 13 Old 01-20-2012, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Ezalycasaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussler View Post
Are you doing this on the beach or something??? Lol! Looks good!
Lol nope. Wish though. Thats actually river rock we have in the back yard where we park our camper/trailers/ and other vehicles. Its were I do all my work. Its not too soft on the body though. Haha and everything is a crap shoot as far as being level on the jeep goes.

New build D60s, 40s etc.

I void warranties.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.