Customizing my roof rack. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Customizing my roof rack.

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-20-2014, 04:10 AM   #1
HAFICON

2012 JK Wrangler 

Customizing my roof rack.

Well after going back and forth for almost a year I finally broke down and got a rack. It was between Gobi, Garvin or Rugged Ridge Shepard. I though I liked Gobi till I looked at it on a few different Jeeps and was really turned off I know it is a quality product but not of my liking. The Garvin Expedition rack was another great option, my father had one on his TJ and it was nice but the square tubing just would not look right with the accessories I already have. So I took a chance and got the Rugged Ridge rack, primary reason was I like the windshield mount, the majority of people who had it like it and I want a one of a kind rack no one had any really good option for building one from scratch so I figured buy a sturdy frame and have a custom basket built.

Got a basic design drawn up. Most likely it will change but here is some of what I am looking at building. For weight reduction I am going to try and have this build from aluminum. End goal for the rack is to be primarily for expedition runs.

Over all concept will be a tubular basket frame, same diameter as the rack itself I might go a bit smaller just have to see what is available for materials.

The basket will use the current load bars that is on the rack, plan is for the load bars to run as shown with the floor of the basket attached to them.

The license plate will be counter sank into the frame by about 1/2".

The frame.

Load bar is at a little bit of an angle, the header bad mount was not welded properly Rugged Ridge is sending me another one.

From Rugged Ridge web site.

Overall I really like the design of this rack, it is a little more sturdy than I expected, I think if I can have the basket built from aluminum it will be fine.

4.88's and TNT truss.
My build thus far.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...tures-1509366/
HAFICON is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2014, 02:52 PM   #2
mattman998
2002 TJ Wrangler 

It would be awesome to build something that fits between the two long bars and is recessed so all the weight of your cargo isn't as high up. Is that what you're planning?

Kinda like this?
mattman998 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2014, 01:47 AM   #3
HAFICON

2012 JK Wrangler 

Not really.. with the soft top there is only about a 1" air gap between the horizontal load bars and the top. Looking to have a full basket made and maybe angle it down ward on the outside edges kinda hard to explain. I want to make it functional with both tops but not have a visible air gap when the hard top is on.
4.88's and TNT truss.
My build thus far.
Unread 07-26-2014, 09:52 PM   #4
HAFICON

2012 JK Wrangler 

I stole these pictures from random google searches but something like this..

I like the first photo better as the base of the rack is wider than the top. If I was to go with this design I would do away with the load bearing bars. Load bearing bars are the bars that run front to rear.

I would have the basket attacked directly to the rear bar:

and just use the pre existing mounts on the windshield mount.

But like I said the air gap you see between the load bars and the hard top is 4" with a soft top it is only 1". So I can go any lower than the bottom of the load bar. However I plan on the basket being wider at the base than the roof of the Jeep. Kind of like the first basket pictured, but bring the sides down where it is wider than the Jeep to hide the air gap but still allowing for use with both top and not interfering with any thing like doors. This would also act as a light weight slider for the roof should I tip over into a tree again...
4.88's and TNT truss.
My build thus far.
Unread 07-27-2014, 09:47 AM   #5
HAFICON

2012 JK Wrangler 

The air gap between the soft top rack.

4.88's and TNT truss.
My build thus far.
Unread 07-28-2014, 09:28 PM   #6
HAFICON

2012 JK Wrangler 

Little more done.. Got good start anyway.

4.88's and TNT truss.
My build thus far.
Unread 07-28-2014, 11:10 PM   #7
HAFICON

2012 JK Wrangler 

Close to done got to change the angle of the front so an Air Dam will fit on it and all sat.

4.88's and TNT truss.
My build thus far.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.