Custom UHMV skid plate - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Custom UHMV skid plate

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 05-20-2013, 06:34 PM   #1
SFRautomotive
#TeamUnibody

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Custom UHMV skid plate

figured some of you may be interested in this, i wish i would have taken more pictures during the framing part of the build but i was trying to move through it at a nice pace.

anyways, i needed to build a skid/trans mount for a customers CJ8 build. needed to be reasonably low profile and still protect the dana300 and TH400, along with containing a mounting point for the trans mount and the stub half of the 2 piece driveshaft setup.

i first drilled out some holes and welded in some 1/2 ID bosses

then took some 2x2x.25 angle and conformed it to the shape of the frame and framed it up with some 1x1x.120 box tube and some 1x2x3/16 tube, then welded some angle up for the driveshaft and trans mounts

painted it up

took some 1/8 plate steel and cut out the 3 panels i would need to cover the skid.

then began the process of drilling out all the plates and drilling and tapping the framework

painted the steel up

and the impact resistant 1/2" UHMV showed up

set the plates up and outlined the cuts i needed to make

bolted the plates to the framework and put a few welds on it to help it keep its shape

cut out the UHMV and put a shallow groove to help with the bending. and marked all the holes for drilling and countersinking

the UHMV was drilled and all the edges were angled

and bolted it all down and used a heat gun to help make the bends in the UHMV more permanent

and also added 6 seperate bolts that are only there to hold the UHMV to the steel plate so that when the skid is removed the plate stays attatched the UHMV. the bolts are painted white to keep from confusing them with the other bolts

annnnnd, thats it

SFRautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 06:59 PM   #2
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Nice!
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 05:31 PM   #3
lar308

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Very nice, I'll be using some of you ideas, if you don't mind. Ron
lar308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 09:03 AM   #4
SFRautomotive
#TeamUnibody

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks.

Go ahead, use what you want
SFRautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 07:37 PM   #5
Copperhead89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Nice job! BTW, the abbreviation for that type of plastic is UHMW. It stands for Ultra High Molecular Weight. I used to design parts made of that material for the food processing industry.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.