Custom Rear Pull Out Storage Case for YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Custom Rear Pull Out Storage Case for YJ

Rugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped OSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Building a Bumper?

Unread 02-20-2012, 03:01 PM   #1
L4ZRUS
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Custom Rear Pull Out Storage Case for YJ

In the process (now completed) of creating a pull out shelf storage box as can be seen elsewhere in this forum. Did all the dimensions in Photoshop. Already have all the supplies, just have to put it together tomorrow (also done now).

Found the diamond plate sheets at a local metal shop. 1/16" thick. Going to frame it around the actual box which will be made out of 8x4' sheets of MDF wood (I know it's not the best, but it was the cheapest for what I needed). How I was able to fit those sheets of wood in the back of my jeep and drive it home with a burnt out clutch is beyond me, but I did.

If anyone wants to take this up as well and wants access to the Photoshop file I created, just PM me with your email address. It has all the dimensions that will fit in the back of the yj, at least my 95 yj but I assume all yj trunk areas are the same?

I've layered the PS file by drawer and frame as well as a top and side view. The dimensions are to scale so you can see if something won't fit or whatnot. You can't see all the layers in the images below, but it is very detailed with each piece of wood in there. The red outlines are the 1/16" thick Diamond Plate sheets I'll be bolting around the box. Everything is accurate to 1/16".

I'll post pics tomorrow (hopefully) when I have it all together and completed.

Here are the dimensions of the different pieces of wood I'll be cutting from the sheets tomorrow:

Drawer
1 Drawer bottom: 36 11/16" x 31 3/8" @ 3/4
2 Drawer Sides: 36 11/16" x 6 3/4" @ 3/4 or 1/2
2 Drawer Front/Back: 29 7/8" x 6 3/4 @ 3/4 or 1/2
1 Drawer Front Face: 33 7/8" x 8 1/4" @ 1/4

Frame
2 Bottom/Top: 38" x 33 7/8" @ 3/4
2 Sides: 38" x 7 1/2" @ 3/4
1 Back: 32 3/8" x 7 1/2" @ 3/4

What's the code on here to resize images? The BBcode I use doesn't seem to be working.

Just for fun:

I had to make some adjustments to these dimensions as I was building it. I didn't account for the lock module on the door to go in as far as it does when the trunk door is shut so it pushed the whole box back a couple inches. Now the back of the box is not flush with where the trunk drops off to the front seat area. Hangs over a couple inches, no biggie. If you want it flush, you might want to cut back the 38" to about 36" or so. I'm not sure of the exact measurement, just grab a tape measure and measure from the front to the drop off. Make sure it will clear that lock bracket and the brake light sensor bracket on either side of the trunk door when it is shut.

I also trimmed back the drawer bottom, front, and back pieces about another half an inch to allow more room for drawer slides if I want to install them in the future. I originally was planning to have the drawer flush with the top of the frame, but it was kind of a tight squeeze, so the front/back and sides were all trimmed from 6 3/4 to 6 1/4. That leaves half an inch of movement space from the top of the frame.

L4ZRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2012, 12:27 AM   #2
JPetru82

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Very cool!! been thinking about doing this to my TJ for a while now. Couple questions for you if you don't mind: Is that secured to the tub at all? What's the inside height of your drawer? Do you know the weight limit of your drawer? Lockable?
Thanks!!
JPetru82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2012, 05:10 PM   #3
Steve707
1993 YJ Wrangler 

That is pretty cool, make sure the mdf doesn't get soaked though.
Steve707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2012, 06:46 PM   #4
L4ZRUS
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPetru82 View Post
Very cool!! been thinking about doing this to my TJ for a while now. Couple questions for you if you don't mind: Is that secured to the tub at all? What's the inside height of your drawer? Do you know the weight limit of your drawer? Lockable?
Thanks!!
It is secured to the tub. I just used the bolts from the seat, lined up the bottom sheet to the seat holes, marked, and drilled. You'll have to keep the top sheet off to install it to the tub, or make the top sheet hingable. Maybe someone has a better concept on securing it.

The height of the drawer is 7 1/2 inches.

Weight limit. Not sure. It depends what material you use and how thick it is. MDF is pretty strong, just not good with impact pressure. I wouldn't recommend to use wood though, I took it to the dunes and accidentally went airborne. The shelf came busting through the back of the frame. So now the case is in pieces. I actually just trashed all the wood and I'm planning on starting over another time with all aluminum. If you don't plan to be too rough with your rig than you should be good.

The drawer is locked in when you close and lock the back door. It can't be pulled out that way.
L4ZRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
GilNewJeeper
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4ZRUS View Post
Very nice but I think is better if you do the drawer in metal too.

GilNewJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2012, 08:52 PM   #6
karlo

Like it! Though I think it needs a handle to easily pull out the drawer.
karlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2014, 07:34 PM   #7
derosa93yj

Where did you bolt it to man?
derosa93yj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.