Custom off road trailer - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Custom off road trailer

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 03-03-2011, 11:41 AM   #16
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I love this idea! I though the illustration was clear enough on where you want to cut. It's just the doors with just a little bit of the front and back to round it out.

Timatoe has a good point, though. What are you going to be doing about the tires?

They'd either have to be outside of the lines of the tub, but low enough to not interfere with opening and closing the doors, or you'll have to fab in the wheel wells from the cut-out section into the main body of the trailer.

Any thoughts on which yet? Or another solution altogether?

Edit: Man....you hesitate on posting and you end up late to the party, ha ha.

I do love this idea, though!

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2011, 11:46 AM   #17
kcaverly
1993 YJ Wrangler 

That's awesome, but why go to all that work just for a few inches? Also, I would leave the rearwards bit in there in order to help balance the load over the axle.

I'm planning to leave mine the full length from the tailgate to the firewall, and when I did the math the balance is pretty good assuming an even weight distribution within the tub, a spare tire on the rear, and the stock tank still full of gas.

That gives you a spare tire, extra gas, and tons of room for camping stuff. Mind you, I do have a 350 in mine so I'm less concerned about weight.

Kevin
Unread 03-03-2011, 11:56 AM   #18
trailrated1989
1997 TJ Wrangler 

It would be a little more than a few inches. Maybe around a foot. Also I just thought of something. Would making a pizza slice cut in the front(think tranny tunnel) and dove tailing the front. So that was you can have a shorter tounge. Would that help out with weight distrabution? Also great idea about the gas tank.
trailrated1989 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2011, 12:52 PM   #19
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrated1989 View Post
The axle would be in the fender well. Also I would want to do my own frame, so that way I can try to shave a little weight out of it. Also thanks for the link.
OK gotcha. Like I said before, the doors "on" the trailer had me confused. I immediately thought you wanted to keep the door openings as part of the trailer to have a place to mount the doors once you got to the trail.

Good luck and take plenty of pics.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2011, 01:06 PM   #20
trailrated1989
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
OK gotcha. Like I said before, the doors "on" the trailer had me confused. I immediately thought you wanted to keep the door openings as part of the trailer to have a place to mount the doors once you got to the trail.

Good luck and take plenty of pics.
I do still want the door openings. So I can put my doors on the trailer.
trailrated1989 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2011, 01:37 PM   #21
kcaverly
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Try a little reading here: http://www.synthx.com/articles/trailer-design.html

You don't necessarily want a shorter tongue. "Ideal" ratio is supposedly that the trailer axle should be the same distance from the tow vehicles rear axle as the front axle. IE, tow vehicle wheelbase = distance from tow vehicle rear axle to trailer axle.

A YJ/TJ is what? 65" wide? So a 33" tongue gives you 90 degree turning capability. That's not all that long to worry about.

With a 93" wheelbase on the TJ, that gives you about 5 feet of trailer in front of the axle after you account for the tongue. That's pretty much the length of the tub from the rear axle to the firewall isn't it?

Dovetailing the front I think would only reduce the amount of stuff you can carry. The only real change in weight distribution would be due to less stuff up front. If you don't dovetail the front, and don't cut those sides to shorten it, then you can put a top on it too. I don't know what kind of top you have, but if you have a hardtop its perfect. You drive to the trails in comfort, then you pop the top and doors on the trailer, keep all your stuff clean and dry, and you can lock it up while you're away from the campsite.

Just some food for thought,
Kevin
Unread 03-03-2011, 09:08 PM   #22
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

OK, I finally got it, I was looking at this as a one or the other thing, not thinking you were going to be using essentially the entire tub. That will definitely be unique, I don't know that I've ever seen one like that.

Sorry for mucking up your thread with not understanding.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2011, 06:00 AM   #23
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcaverly View Post
If you don't dovetail the front, and don't cut those sides to shorten it, then you can put a top on it too. I don't know what kind of top you have, but if you have a hardtop its perfect. You drive to the trails in comfort, then you pop the top and doors on the trailer, keep all your stuff clean and dry, and you can lock it up while you're away from the campsite.
Kevin
Holy crap I love this idea! You be ending up almost pulling a full length Wrangler behind you, though.

What about a half-cab, though? That would still serve the same function as the top with the doors, but allow you to reduce the trailer length....

Love where this is headed!

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2011, 12:27 AM   #24
Rugged-Crosser
1972 CJ5 

Ok Mr. no name with the read jeep and the yellow lines . Tell me how did you do that. I have been wanting to learn how to do that. Would you mind shareing that with me?

Thanks Larry

[B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/rebuilding-old-rugged-crosser-cj5-1180801/"][/B]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/rebuilding-old-rugged-crosser-cj5-1180801/[/URL][/CENTER]

The Old Rugged Crosser in a Old Rugged Cross-en CJ-5
------------------------------------------
"He that is kind is free, though he is a slave; he that is evil is a slave, though he be a king." - St. Augustine
Rugged-Crosser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.