Custom off road trailer - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Custom off road trailer

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Reply
Unread 03-02-2011, 11:22 AM   #1
trailrated1989
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Yuma, AZ
Posts: 198
Custom off road trailer

Ok I am going to start out by saying, this project will be around a year out. But I am trying to get everything I want down on paper now. So what do you guys think about using a Jeep tub? I know it has been done before. But the reason I want to use one, is so when I am on the trail, I can take my doors off and put them on the trailer. I would be doing alot of sheet metal work in side and out for this project. But I think it would be pretty cool. I also would be building my own frame. Also another question is, does anyone know the ruff guess of a tubs weight? Because if it is way to much then I will just scrape the idea. Thanks in advance for any comments or direction pointing. Also the picture is not my tub. Its just one off of google for reference.

p1140279-1-.jpg  
trailrated1989 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2011, 11:29 AM   #2
goolsbayjeep
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 208
why don't you just remove the back seat and store the door behind you?
goolsbayjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2011, 11:45 AM   #3
00JGC00
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: South Jordan, UT
Posts: 6,737
I don't think it's a bad idea. It can't way that much more than a truck bed trailer. I really don't think it's a bad platform to start with as long as you're okay with it being a very long and committed project. I say go for it.
__________________
"The" Matt | '00 Limited WJ | "The White Wolf" aka "Willow" aka "Cool Whip" aka "Sweet 'N Low" aka "AKA"
Utah JeepCrew #39 | Club Matt #1
December '11 GCOTM | Build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/life-times-979511/
00JGC00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2011, 12:07 PM   #4
trailrated1989
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Yuma, AZ
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbayjeep View Post
why don't you just remove the back seat and store the door behind you?
I have full steel doors. And I have two kids that like riding in my Jeep more than I do. Also I have been wanting a trailer for camping reason. I started thinking about this last night. So I thought I would throw this out there to get feed back.
trailrated1989 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2011, 12:09 PM   #5
trailrated1989
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Yuma, AZ
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00JGC00 View Post
I don't think it's a bad idea. It can't way that much more than a truck bed trailer. I really don't think it's a bad platform to start with as long as you're okay with it being a very long and committed project. I say go for it.
I like projects. This will be my biggest one that I will have done. But I think once I get started I will finish it. Because the way I am, if I have to spend money on something. I am going to finish it or else I wasted money.
trailrated1989 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2011, 12:13 PM   #6
trailrated1989
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Yuma, AZ
Posts: 198
Another though, for towing reason. Would the axle/tires be to far back? Because I know most of the time trailers try to have centered axles.
trailrated1989 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2011, 12:23 PM   #7
00JGC00
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: South Jordan, UT
Posts: 6,737
Well the further back your axle is, the more weight you potentially put on the tongue. What is the max tongue weight on a TJ?
__________________
"The" Matt | '00 Limited WJ | "The White Wolf" aka "Willow" aka "Cool Whip" aka "Sweet 'N Low" aka "AKA"
Utah JeepCrew #39 | Club Matt #1
December '11 GCOTM | Build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/life-times-979511/
00JGC00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2011, 12:33 PM   #8
firefighter315
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,827
IIRC, the tub weight minus roll bars is in the neighborhood of 300 lb.
__________________
My YJ Build Thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...hread-1181000/
firefighter315 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2011, 06:19 AM   #9
BSInc
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kelowna, British Columbia
Posts: 275
that weight sounds about right. 2 guy really groaning to move mine around completely stripped.

As for axle location, I closed my tub out just ahead of the back door brace (trailer is 5') and I'm glad I left the axle in the stock location. I wheel with my family too and it's nice to be able to sit on the tailgate without lifting the tongue in the air when it's unhooked. I used a cj tailgate.
BSInc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2011, 06:25 AM   #10
trailrated1989
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Yuma, AZ
Posts: 198
Could youngest some pics of your trailer?
trailrated1989 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2011, 09:36 AM   #11
timatoe
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Grass Valley California
Posts: 13,724
The part about putting the doors "on" the trailer has me a bit confused, are you going to be using from the firewall back to just past the door opening and then moving the tailgate area up to that point?? If so you're looking at basically a flat bottom trailer and you can position the axle wherever you need to. My concern would be where the tires will sit if that's the case, because if they're under the tub it will sit very high and if they're outside of the tub they will likely interfere with the door area.

If you're going to be using the rear portion of the tub, the "bed" if you will, then I'd just use the frame that's there and use a standard trailer axle with leaves at the right width and weld the hangers to the stock frame basically centering the wheels in the stock opening.

BTW, when I re-did my little trailer I found ABC Trailer Parts to have the best prices, and very good customer service.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2011, 10:12 AM   #12
rdsk8ter
Registered User
1982 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northglenn, Colorado
Posts: 573
heres my thread on mine
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f104/...ailer-1164102/

Check out the hitch its kinda the pride of the build. Heed my warning these are addictive
rdsk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2011, 11:23 AM   #13
kcaverly
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fredericton, New Brunswick
Posts: 253
I think it's a great idea. I'm planning a similar build myself this spring. Your lines do have me a bit confused though too. Can you clarify which bits your cutting and moving where?

General rule for axle location is the weight distribution should be ~60/40 in front of/behind the axle. That gives you roughly the right amount of tongue weight, as well as a fairly stable trailer for towing confidence. It also makes it easy to maneuver and back up.

Kevin
__________________
1993 Jeep YJ - 350 Chevy TBI, SM465, NP241, 14B SF LSD, 10B
kcaverly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2011, 11:29 AM   #14
trailrated1989
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Yuma, AZ
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcaverly View Post
I think it's a great idea. I'm planning a similar build myself this spring. Your lines do have me a bit confused though too. Can you clarify which bits your cutting and moving where?

General rule for axle location is the weight distribution should be ~60/40 in front of/behind the axle. That gives you roughly the right amount of tongue weight, as well as a fairly stable trailer for towing confidence. It also makes it easy to maneuver and back up.

Kevin
Sorry for the confusion. I will be taking out the area behind the fender well and sliding the tailgate up some. And taking the area between the fender well and the door out. And cutting out most of the firewall. Just so shorten it up a bit. Right now I am just trying to get ideas.
trailrated1989 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2011, 11:30 AM   #15
trailrated1989
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Yuma, AZ
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
The part about putting the doors "on" the trailer has me a bit confused, are you going to be using from the firewall back to just past the door opening and then moving the tailgate area up to that point?? If so you're looking at basically a flat bottom trailer and you can position the axle wherever you need to. My concern would be where the tires will sit if that's the case, because if they're under the tub it will sit very high and if they're outside of the tub they will likely interfere with the door area.

If you're going to be using the rear portion of the tub, the "bed" if you will, then I'd just use the frame that's there and use a standard trailer axle with leaves at the right width and weld the hangers to the stock frame basically centering the wheels in the stock opening.

BTW, when I re-did my little trailer I found ABC Trailer Parts to have the best prices, and very good customer service.

The axle would be in the fender well. Also I would want to do my own frame, so that way I can try to shave a little weight out of it. Also thanks for the link.
trailrated1989 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.