custom multipurpose trailer summer project - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > custom multipurpose trailer summer project

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineArtec JK Under Armor Bellypan

Unread 04-28-2011, 07:34 PM   #1
stroker90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

custom multipurpose trailer summer project

So I am almost done with school for the summer and then I am going to get started on my summer projects I want to get done. I have a few projects I need to get done first but I figured while I am finishing those I can start looking for parts I need for my multipurpose trailer I want to build. I already have a 5X10 utility trailer at my house that I already use for my motorcycle but it is just a trailer and nothing special. I want to make it personal and make it look like it belongs behind a jeep wrangler. The thinks I want to be able to do with this trailer is to be able to haul my street bike, kayaks, canoes, mountain bikes and whatever else I can think of. I would also like to be able to turn this trailer into a camper/tent when ever I am out camping. The camper part is not important but just something to consider having. This trailer must also be able to go into the woods and be taken on the beach. To start my design for this trailer I really like the look of those custom jeep wrangler tub trailers that I have found plenty of write ups about. The problem with those is I can't fit a motorcycle in one of them. My plans for my trailer is to still use 2 tubs either from a tj or a yj so that I can have a fold down tailgate conversion for the rear and a swing away for the front. I want to stretch the overall length just so my motorcycle can fit inside the trailer with both tailgates closed. I am going to have to built a roll cage for the trailer. The reason for the roll cage is so can use the trailer for either transporting some canoes or kayaks. Now I know that if I put a full roll cage on the trailer it will make loading and unloading the motorcycle a PITA. My solution that I have thought about is adding those bolt on roll cage cross members to the fixed side roll bars so I can take them on and off when I need to. the cross members will also be the anchor points for the kayaks and canoes. Now onto the camper/tent part of the build. Since I am using jeep tub parts to make the trailer I was thinking I could just use the hardware used for the factory soft tops and have the local upholstery shop make me a custom soft top using some old soft tops I have sitting around that I don't use anymore. When I arrive at the campsite I am able to unload the canoe and kayak and will be able to set up my soft top that will enclose the entire trailer. since the trailer is long enough for a motorcycle I will be able to fit an air mattress inside and will have some room left over for clothes and other things I don't want to get wet. I might have to trim the inner fenders of the tubs a little bit to make it work. Since I am busy studying for finals that are next week I won't be able to work on any drawings to show you guys what exactly I want to do. I will update my progress when I am actually done for the summer.

stroker90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2011, 10:44 PM   #2
monkeee2002
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, that sounds like a crazy-cool plan for a trailer!
Can't wait to see updates as you go.
Any ideas what this thing is gonna cost you??
Unread 04-29-2011, 12:10 AM   #3
stroker90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I don't really know at this time what the cost of everything is going to be. I would like to keep everything under $1000 for the entire project for this summer. Like I said I can live without the enclosure part for now. I can always do that part of the project later when time and funds are available. The enclosure part I believe will be the most expensive part of the build. I know I am just going to be using factory soft top hardware and materials but finding stuff in good shape to use will be difficult to find. Also having the upholstery shop do most of the work making it work will be pricey. I am lucky on the metal work of the project since a buddy of mine owns an auto body shop I can do a lot of the work at his shop. I just got to make sure I take some cold beer with me when I go up there. the only thing I really need to get is the 2 wrangler tubs, some sheet metal for extending the tubs, some disconnecting cross member tubes, some .120 wall dom tubing for the roll cage, tie down rings, and I also want to put a truck bed coatings on the inside of the trailer when it is done. I will see what all that adds up to and see what my budget looks like for the enclosure part. I am also thinking of making some storage containers along the sides but i will need to know how much space I am going to be working with.
Unread 04-29-2011, 05:14 AM   #4
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I would not make the roll cage a permanent fixture. Now to carry a kayak install a slide down rack to hold it in the corners out of square tubing. This could also serve to hold up a cover for a camper top and sides. Also what size of a bike are you talking about for a street bike? Keeping the size down would be better than larger just for the keeping the weight down. What type of axle are you thinking of ? Here is something else to add to your list of things to think of is the drawbar or tongue. I would recommend a V style over a straight single bar. Which can be used a platform for carrying extras.Now this is just suggestions. But things to think about.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2011, 09:12 AM   #5
stroker90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I am going to be using all of the parts that I already have from my utility trailer. It has an axle and leaf springs already on it rated up to 3,500 lbs. It has a straight tongue on it now but I will be adding an A style tongue to it for added strength and stability. My bike is just over 45 inches tall by 85 inches long and I also need to include a few more inches for the wheel chock for the front tire. the wheel chock is not going to be a permanent fixture. The side parts of the roll cage is going to be bolt on to the floor of the trailer but I doubt I will take them off much. I know this trailer is going to be tall with a bike on it but hey thats what I get for having a dream. Also I know it is going to be some weight to it and I will have to see what the estimated total weight of the everything is going to be before I start the project. I don't want to have it done and find out I can't tow it with my wrangler.
Unread 04-29-2011, 02:22 PM   #6
stroker90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

This is a photo I found of what I kinda want to do. http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...rAssembly2.jpg It is not the length I want but I can easily fix that. this is a picture of what I kinda what I want the enclosure to look like. the only difference is mine is going to be a soft top. http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...romeYellow.jpg
Unread 05-01-2011, 06:55 AM   #7
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

And you want to do this for a $1000. Ok sure you might be able to do the trailer part but not the top. Custom top is going to eat up about $300-500 of the monies re quick. The reason I said that you will not want to make the roll bar a permanent fixture when you need to load something that will fit in the trailer the cross bars are going to get in you way and limit you on what you load inside. This is just like a cap on the back of a pickup truck does. You will not need to figure a tire chock into the length of the trailer either now maybe a little growing room for future bikes and such.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2011, 10:04 AM   #8
stroker90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

thanks dodger889 for your comments. If you read my earlier posts I am not to worried at the moment about the soft top enclosure at this time. If I am able to come in under budget without the soft top I will consider doing it this summer. If not I will just wait till next summer to get it done. Also in my earlier posts I mentioned that the cross members for the roll cage will be those bolt on roll cage support bars that you can buy out of any offroad parts catalog. With them being bolt on I can remove them when I need to load and unload stuff out of the trailer. Now if I ever need a bit more room to fit longer bikes into the trailer I will just use the fold down tailgate to get the added length that I need.
Unread 05-01-2011, 11:54 AM   #9
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Cheap, simple, easy to find components on Craigslist..... Old long-bed half-back mini-pickup trailer, "Rack-it" lumber rack or similar rack that fits it, set of C-list rims and used 33-12.50x15 tires, and a tarp. Trim the fenderwells with a sawzall to fit tires, and add 3" harbor freight rubber fender flair strips to keep the cops happy with covered tires.

Carries your motor cycle, has removable rack for kayaks, tows like a dream, and a quick covered shelter for when you are camping. Swap a plastic tank for the gas tank and you have water storage. You can put the whole thing together for less than 500 bucks if you search a bit.

I got an old Datsun half-back trailer I've been using since 1986, hauling everything from 2900 lbs of rock () to scuba gear for 15 students plus a zodiac inflatable with 2 kayaks stacked on top. Bigger tires means it tows across the sand just fine.

I can't seem to break the damn thing.
Unread 05-01-2011, 06:58 PM   #10
stroker90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I was going to go the pickup bed trailer thing but I already have a trailer. I just want to turn the trailer I have into something better. Also I already have wheels and tires for the trailer and I have found 2 YJ jeep tubs for free. All I have to do is drive out and put them on a trailer and take them home. Of course I will be using the trailer that I plan on using for this build project. All I need to do is locate another soft top for cheap or free so that I can use that for the enclosure since I already have on at my house that needs repaired. I also need to start thinking what color I want to paint the trailer.
Unread 05-03-2011, 07:02 PM   #11
stroker90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

So I found a picture of the disconnecting bars I want to use for my trailer.The back bar on this jeep is offered by Rock Hard 4X4. It is a bolt on support bar that is for sale as an option for their bolt on roll cage protection. I am either going to order 2 of them from Rock Hard 4x4 or I will just order the clamp parts from http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/...mp_p_1474.html and make my own. I just don't want to spend 2($120)= $240 on some bolt on support bars. I originally saw this idea used on Extreme 4x4 on one of their JK builds. I figure if it is strong enough for a tree then it can hold up a kayak or 2.
Unread 05-13-2011, 09:33 PM   #12
stroker90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

so I am finally home for the summer and took some pictures up to my buddies auto body shop to show him my idea of the trailer. He is all excited to do it but he just got a bunch of work on the books and my trailer plans might get pushed back till late july or early august. I can have it done sooner if I want to pay for labor but that is a nice hung of change we are talking about even at the friends and family discount. So I might consider doing most of the work myself and just have him paint it when I am done.
Unread 05-14-2011, 08:57 AM   #13
monkeee2002
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroker90 View Post
so I am finally home for the summer and took some pictures up to my buddies auto body shop to show him my idea of the trailer. He is all excited to do it but he just got a bunch of work on the books and my trailer plans might get pushed back till late july or early august. I can have it done sooner if I want to pay for labor but that is a nice hung of change we are talking about even at the friends and family discount. So I might consider doing most of the work myself and just have him paint it when I am done.
Doing it yourself = bragging rights!
Be sure to take pics as you go.
Unread 05-18-2011, 03:19 PM   #14
kbarwall
1985 CJ7 

I have done what you are describing, im still working on my "roll cage" of sorts, im making more of a ladder rack type set up that is removable that will double as overland tent support and i will be hanging my kayaks. If you go to the last page of my build thread most all the pics are in for the trailer. I need to install the back up lights and then start on making some of the other bracketry for such things as kayaks, bikes, tent, camping grill, and ramps for loading my quad.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/k...bicon-1168891/
kbarwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2011, 09:20 PM   #15
stroker90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

thanks Kbarwall for sharing your trailer build. I really like your tongue idea that you have. That is one thing I hate about the utility trailer that I have now is the tongue always sticking out. I can't believe you got to build this for your senior design project. That is really cool.

Tags
motorcycle carrier , tent trailer

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.