Custom Gear Shift Knob - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Custom Gear Shift Knob

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-25-2013, 08:33 AM   #1
BatJeepRises
2013 JK Wrangler 

Custom Gear Shift Knob

Hello, sorry if this has been posted before, but I couldn't find anything on it. I posted this I'm the technical forum, but was directed here.

Anyway, I literally bought my first Jeep two days ago. 2013 JK Sport. My friend directed me to this forum.

I'm looking to make custom gear shift knobs, but not of the normal round variety. (To be honest, I'm looking to make the Batman symbol.) My question is what I should use to do this. Should I buy a custom molding machine and carve the molds myself? And what should I mold the knobs out of, a type of hard resin? Any advice would be great, thanks everyone.

(Also, not looking to mass produce/sell anything either, I just want a unique shift knob.)

BatJeepRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 12:00 PM   #2
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Usually, people wanting custom shift knobs find something they'd like to use and turn it into a knob. Creating a mold and pouring your own would be quite the undertaking. Very cool and interesting, but a lot of trouble. Personally, if I wanted a Batman symbol, I'd find something that would work as a shift knob, drill/tap it, or drill and put a threaded insert in with an epoxy set or something. Unless it is just your thing, the time investment in carving a mold in reverse to just produce one or two castings would be huge.

If you do it, post up some pics so we can check it out.
Unread 04-25-2013, 12:49 PM   #3
BatJeepRises
2013 JK Wrangler 

I've been like that my whole life: doing something the longer harder way just so it looks the best it can rather than making the same thing the easy way that's just passable. I want it to look like it was made for the Jeep.

I suppose if you couldn't tell from my username/question, I'm attempting to customize my JK so that you wouldn't think twice if they saw Batman driving it. So I can still be a nerd while off-roading. I have a bunch of things already in mind. I need to figure out a way to have a grappling hook shoot from a winch lol.
Unread 04-25-2013, 02:25 PM   #4
Machinist
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Is Robin your spotter?
Machinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 04:20 PM   #5
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I think I'd whittle down a chunk of aluminum or stainless. They'd look pretty cool polished. If you don't mind a challenge, do the shaping with hand files.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 05:04 PM   #6
BatJeepRises
2013 JK Wrangler 

That's not a bad idea. I'd have to paint it black however, so stainless might be a moot point. My friend suggested a hard rubber if I went the molding route.
Unread 04-26-2013, 04:15 PM   #7
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

When I was in elementary school, we did a project in our Science Class.. using plexiglass.

We took a Dremel Tool and carved a design into a small square of plexi (I did a Lightning Bolt). We then used Acetone (IIRC) to glue another piece of plexi to the first.. sealing our designs into the center of the chunk of plastic.

We then used a belt sander, files, sand paper, and rubbing compound.. to polish the finished piece to perfection.. looked like glass when we were done.

You could carve a "Batman" logo into the piece, glue several pieces together, and then shape/polish the whole thing. Sort of a Batman Logo, within a Batman Logo.. ?

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 04-26-2013, 04:59 PM   #8
BatJeepRises
2013 JK Wrangler 

That sounds interesting.

Batception!
Unread 04-27-2013, 03:37 PM   #9
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

.. then, you make a small pocket under the knob to insert an LED. Turn it on, and the little "Batman Logo" would light up..

Similar concept as this..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 05-09-2013, 07:32 PM   #10
Tracker401
2004 TJ Wrangler 

BatJeep
You're getting advice from one of the best in the business. If I were you, I'd pay attention to BESRK.
Good Luck
Tracker401
Tracker401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 08:32 AM   #11
svtkev
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Make it so the 'bat signal' is projected onto the headliner!!!
svtkev is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.