Custom Dash - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Custom Dash

CCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 09-27-2009, 09:38 PM   #1
jeepsta
1983 CJ5 

Custom Dash

I have been looking around for a dash panel that isn't already pre cut so that I could put my stuff where I want it. The problem I have run into is that price with shipping is 200 bucks or more. I have decided to go locally and buy some material and build my own. The ones I have seen online show that they are using 12 or 16 gauge steel and I have seen some with aluminum. Would plexiglass be worth my time? If not what would you go with?

1. Christopher Columbus did not need directions and neither do we.
jeepsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2009, 01:09 PM   #2
DoGood
2000 TJ Wrangler 

hmm, I think the plexiglass would be kind of cool. You could see all the wiring and what behind the dash. I guess the main issue is it being strong enough to not brake, especially when you add a bunch of holes for all your stuff. I was reading about windshielf material and I believe the consensus was to use lexan because plexiglass makes knives when it brakes while lexan doesn't. If your going that route I'd look into it.
Unread 09-28-2009, 02:12 PM   #3
skullver
Tarpitz
1991 XJ Cherokee 

it really depends on how many switches/lights and other components you want, the span between mounting spots, the type of components you are using etc. Here are some ideas for you, this guy makes some cool custom stuff:
12voltguy.com - Home

my Jeepspeed build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/dez-racer-xj-build-367176/
skullver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2009, 04:22 PM   #4
jeepsta
1983 CJ5 

Well I just scored a FREE piece of Lexan so it looks like that is what I am going to try for now.

1. Christopher Columbus did not need directions and neither do we.
jeepsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2009, 06:12 PM   #5
Roadymi
1982 CJ7 

Lexan is tough stuff, but it does scratch relatively easy. I would try a test on a scrap piece with some clear coat to protect it. I have no idea if the clear coat will stick? This will defenitely give you incentive to clean up your wiring.
Roadymi is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.