Custom control arms - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Custom control arms

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 08-03-2010, 08:18 PM   #1
attackcammel
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Custom control arms

hey guys I recently had someone give me some 2" solid stock I have 2 pieces at 67" a piece. Im thinking about making some control arms out of them im thinking just buy rod ends cut the stock and bring them to a machine shop to be drilled and threaded. now i just have a few questions

What kind of rod ends are good quality at a decent price?
What size rod end?
Will I need new brackets on the axle/frame?
how can i determine how long to cut the round stock?

I know these arms will be crazy overkill but i figure if I have the material why not use it for something i need anyway.

I have a 2003 wrangler with OME lift and 33" tires hopefully going to 35 by next year.

thanks for the help guys

Anthony

Ordinary cars lie to you. They tell you that everything is controlled, warm, safe, smooth ---- we know this is a general falsehood. There is extreme beauty in the world and the best way to find it is to be out in it --- all the way. In a Jeep. Cause you can't get there in a Camry.
attackcammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2010, 09:15 AM   #2
RedlegWJ
1999 WJ 

Might research materials a little more, my understanding is good tube is actually less prone to bending than solid stock. I used 2" x .250 DOM myself (got lucky with the drop rack at Alro), but I believe square tube is even stronger. Plus, the added weight savings of using tube. I think Mallcrawlin had a write up with data spreadsheets if you look. As for the joints, go with Currie joints and get some big Teraflex bushings for the other end and don't look back.

That solid rod might make some mean bumpers, steps, stinger, etc, though.
RedlegWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 10:15 AM   #3
timmytimm3
2000 TJ Wrangler 

good info here:

Pirate4x4.Com - The largest off roading website in the world.
timmytimm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 02:58 PM   #4
zachbh
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'm assuming you are sticking with short arms. If that's the case, you won't have to change the brackets. As for the measurements, decide which length control arm you will want (based on lift height, an eye to eye measurement), decide which rod end you will use (Currie JJ is a common joint, and popular), then calculate the rod length you will need to drill/tap. If I was doing this, I would cut to rod to a length that would allow to JJ to be adjusted to make the arm length both shorter and longer, that way you can easily make adjustments.

I'd maybe leave 1/2" to an 3/4" of thread on the JJ exposed at the arm length you are shooting for, that way the jamb nut can be tightened. This will also allow you to stretch the arms if you add more height when going to 35s. I'm not sure if there is a recommended minimum length of thread engagement, but I would stay away from extending them out too far. I'm also not sure of the length of thread on the JJ, or any other joint. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlegWJ View Post
That solid rod might make some mean bumpers, steps, stinger, etc, though.
Yeah, but if he wanted or needed to bend solid rod, that might be a little more difficult than tubing
zachbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 04:33 PM   #5
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Not a good idea.

They would be way too heavy and not worth the trouble.

Buy some DOM if you are going to make your own CA's.
Unread 08-06-2010, 06:54 PM   #6
attackcammel
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I just figure I already have the solid stock it was free and im trying to keep costs down if/when i need longer arms or i want to four link the jeep or whatever comes up I can always taje the rod ends with me and sell of the arms just trying to workwith what I have I guess
Ordinary cars lie to you. They tell you that everything is controlled, warm, safe, smooth ---- we know this is a general falsehood. There is extreme beauty in the world and the best way to find it is to be out in it --- all the way. In a Jeep. Cause you can't get there in a Camry.
attackcammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 07:08 PM   #7
johnny9
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMaiden View Post
Not a good idea.

They would be way too heavy and not worth the trouble.

Buy some DOM if you are going to make your own CA's.
agreed

fla cracker head born and bred

build- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...hread-1065655/
johnny9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 10:57 PM   #8
Terrain Twister
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I'm posting this link directly from RK. I'll be honest and say that I do run their SA system.

http://www.rockkrawler.com/spages/pages/long_arm_tech.htm

I'm not an Engineer so I won't say one is better than the other, but I do feel my arms are very solid.
They do say the type of solid stock does matter, so if it's nothing more than a low grade, then I'd have to agree with some of the above thoughts.

Tags
comtrol arm , custom

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.