Crossmember fab - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Crossmember fab

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChBestop underseat lock boxes @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!

Unread 12-21-2006, 06:44 PM   #1
learfxr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Crossmember fab

Any advice? Size of material, type of material? Pics?

learfxr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2006, 06:50 PM   #2
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by learfxr
Any advice? Size of material, type of material? Pics?
which crossmember and on what vehicle would probably be helpful

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2006, 08:25 PM   #3
learfxr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

My bad, I'm at work and was in a hurry.

Transmission crossmember. 89 YJ with 4.2L and TF727/NP208
Unread 12-22-2006, 08:56 AM   #4
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I don't have any pics but I just did one for a buddy's YJ with a 350/T350/D300 setup. Basically, we cut a couple lengths of 2"x2"x1/4" thick angle iron to about 2 feet long. We drilled the two pieces to bolt onto the frame where the old skid mounted. Then, we bent some 1.75"x.120" DOM to span across the distance. The rear tube was also fitted with an angle iron mount for the transfer case adapter mount. The front tube was only there as a place to mount the skid. Skin between the two tubes with 3/16" or 1/4" plate. Since this was for a mainly mall crawler/mild offroader, we went with 3/16". If it was a rig that would be banged around on the rocks, I'd go with 1/4" plate and probably a few supporting "ribs" to keep it from pushing up.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2006, 09:39 AM   #5
learfxr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Would it be easy enough to use square tube in place of the DOM? Did you have to arch the tube up or down? Is that why you went with round instead of a square or box tube? I'm just looking for a method where I can buy material that I will have a use for the left over material. I don't have a bender, and don't see needing round stock any time soon.
Unread 12-22-2006, 04:18 PM   #6
David K.

I am in the process of the same thing. same size angle iron, but I was going to use a scrap piece of c channel to mount the tranny mount. then I was going to use more angle Iron and weld the angle iron to the c channel.
David K. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2006, 08:30 PM   #7
360wrangler

I have an 89 wrangler with amc 360 and tf 727 np231. i fabed a crossmember out of 1.5 sch 80 pipe and a harbor freight pipe bender. i am in the process of making a rear shock hoop. drop me your e-mail and I get som pics 4 ya
360wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2006, 08:50 PM   #8
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I've done the same type of crossmember using 2x2 square stock... cut/weld to make the bends. That was before I got my bender. The square stuff works okay.. easy to weld the flat plate to.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.