Crossmember Drop / Reinforce - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Crossmember Drop / Reinforce

Paracord grab handles, door limiting, etc at JeepHut.comRough Country Deals at JeepHut.comNew! JK/U skid plate system.

Unread 05-03-2015, 09:11 PM   #1
McColorado
1997 ZJ 

Crossmember Drop / Reinforce

I just installed a 3.5" lift kit on my 94 Zj, and in the process of attempting to install the t-case drop, I have broken a cross member bolt, and one other just spins. Now, I could go and tear apart the interior in an attempt to gain access to these bolts, however, I have some experience welding, and have some scrap metal to work with. Here is my thought: use a 1" steel tube and some 3/16" plate to make myself a t-case drop bracket. I would weld and bolt the bracket to the frame, and bolt the cross member to the bracket using grade 8 hardware. All the joints between bracket and frame would be welded together. Here is my general idea:

So my question is: would this work? I'm just trying to find a way around the weak bolts, and thought this could be an effective solution. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

The Jeep in question:

Unread 05-08-2015, 03:52 AM   #2
bdmead01
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Your design seems solid, but I think the problem is with the crappy nutserts. You would think Jeep would have changed their design by now...
Unread 05-08-2015, 07:03 PM   #3
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

to keep from crushing the uniframe and properly torque the bolts that appear as if they would go all the way through it, a small tube should be welded in place through the frame before the bolt is put through it.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2015, 07:14 PM   #4
jason m
Nothing but the facts

A chunk of tube is needed as underpowered said to keep the sides from crushing. And if it were me I would run the 3/16 plate on both sides, yes this means it needs to get a bend in it, well really two but adding it on both sides ensures it won't go no ware.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2015, 08:00 PM   #5
JeeperDon
Join a 4x4 Club

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Do it right. Just fix the bad nuts in the frame. Weld a nut on a small plate. Make a hole in the frame at the dead nuts (cut them out) just big enough to finesse the plate inside the frame, then weld the plate with the nut to the frame.
Unread 05-10-2015, 11:19 PM   #6
McColorado
1997 ZJ 

Thought I'd throw a quick update on this -- Decided to just do it right. Got some grade 8 hardware on the passenger side with nuts welded to the inside of the frame, I welded the floor back in place, siliconed it to make sure it won't leak, and painted it to hopefully not have to deal with rust down the line.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.