Countersunk bolts in trans crossmember - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Countersunk bolts in trans crossmember

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueECGS DOTW - $100 off Yukon 8.8 C-Clip Eliminator KitNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 08-13-2014, 05:00 PM   #1
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Countersunk bolts in trans crossmember

Still new to working with metal so probably a newb question.

I'm prepping my clayton crossmember for my long arm build and getting the poly trans mount put in it. Clayton expects you to use the standard bolts from the trans mount which means the heads of the bolt protrude from the bottom of the crossmember. Based on the state of the bolt heads on my current crossmember I don't really want that.

Is there any reason I shouldn't use 3/8 countersink bolts in place of the standard ones? I have the bit to drill the countersinks, the crossmember is 1/4" thick so I feel like there's plenty of material there.

I know there's a slight decrease in strength with a countersunk head vs standard but will it matter?

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2014, 02:52 PM   #2
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

1/4" really isnt that much meat to countersink in this application. Are you more concerned with damaging the bolt heads or that they will get hung up on things?
Unread 08-16-2014, 08:07 PM   #3
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Or a button head screw?

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2014, 03:24 AM   #4
jason m

Two problems, first as its all been said 1/4" is not a lot for a countersink bolts, second with a countersink bolt you use Allen type wrench to tighten them, you won't get them hold as tight as a normal fixed head bolt would.
There bolts, buy good quality bolts like caterpillar use's and they will last a long time.or just replace them every few years once they get gouged up. I have the same bolts on my cross member for 10 years now, yes they are so worn down the zinc is gone and gouged to the point a socket fits hard.
But I bought Cat bolts and they have a larger head and made to a higher quality standard.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.