Countersinks for 3/16" steel - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Countersinks for 3/16" steel

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 05-13-2013, 02:14 PM   #1
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

Countersinks for 3/16" steel

Anyone know what type of countersink armor manufacturers like Poison Spyder use to countersink the holes in their armor? Particularly their crusher corners.McMaster-Carr has the countersinks in all different angles, but I'm not sure which one to go with, thanks.

I need one like this for these type of bolts.

http://shop.poisonspyder.com/CJ-7-Re...4-010-alum.htm

CJ7ROB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 05:16 PM   #2
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

If you've got the bolts, you can just mike the heads to see what diameter you'll need.

Even without the bolts, if you know what size you're going to use (5/16" Countersunk Allen Heads for instance), you can look up their dimensions online to see which bit you'll need.

I'm not at the shop right now, but I think I use a 5/8" bit to get a good fit with 5/16" allen heads going thru 3/16" plate.. I could be mistaken though.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #3
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

Thanks Eddie my bolts are 3/8" and the diameter of the head is 3/4" Do you think I need a 3/4" countersink bit? Also how do I properly check the angle so I get the right bit? Thx It looks like it just may be a std 45 degree bit.
Unread 05-13-2013, 09:42 PM   #4
popascj7
1976 CJ7 

Standard machine screws have an 82 degree angle.
popascj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 03:10 PM   #5
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

If the bolt head is 3/4" dia, then the 3/4" bit would allow a perfect fit flush with the surface of the sheet. The issue then becomes the "thickness" of the head. If the head of the bolt is thicker than 3/16", then it will protrude above the surface.. or, you'll have to make the hole (in both the 3/16" and the sheetmetal under it) big enough for the bolt head to drop in all the way.

When I was digging around for my countersink bit, I think I went with 5/16" allen head countersunk bolts because the head thickness worked out to be about 3/16" thick.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 01:27 PM   #6
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

Oh I see what you mean. I'll have to play with it to see how deep the head goes into the metal. Thanks for the info.
Unread 05-22-2013, 07:46 PM   #7
Copperhead89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by popascj7 View Post
Standard machine screws have an 82 degree angle.
Correct. SAE flat head machine screws are 82 and metric flat head machine screws are 90.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.