Correcting for Warp - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Correcting for Warp

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 10-04-2010, 01:52 PM   #1
Sproocket
1986 CJ7 

Correcting for Warp

I am in the process of fixing the PO's overzealous hole cutting on my CJ-7 dash. The voltmeter and oil pressure gauge holes were cut too big. Ive removed the dash and vut out the affected section and welded in a replacement. I thought I was very careful, had my MIG welder turned all the way down, and tried to balance the heat by welding very short stretches (1/2") bouncing around the perimiter of the weld. I still ended up with what I think is shrinkage that has pulled the dash panel into a bit of a bow.

I am at a loss for how to correct it. Ive searched the site and couldnt find any ideas. Am I screwed? I appreciate any help you all can lend.

Last edited by Sproocket; 10-04-2010 at 06:51 PM.. Reason: Image didnt show.
Sproocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 12:32 AM   #2
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

I hate warping it just happened on my bumper Im making and I had to drive a forklift over it to bend it back the other way. Only way I know of is bending it back or using a hammer. I think there is a way to heat it up with a torch somehow..... Much easier to predict the warp and compensate by clamping and such.
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 03:16 AM   #3
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

About the only way i can think of to correct the warpage would be to cut it out again and start over,but this time only weld the thing with a spot tack n move type of method,don't weld it a 1/2" or even a 1/4" at a time..just tack welds,...tack a spot,move to the complete opposite side of that tack and tack there..etc....about every 4 corners opposite from each other let the whole thing cool for a few minutes,then continue again...and NEVER put water or anything on it to cool it off,,this will make it warp even worse.
Clamp the whole thing down in a way before welding it up so that it doesn't have a chance to pull,then after done welding leave it clamped there untill cool to the touch.

It can be corrected with some heat,or dolly hammering, but that's complicated to do correctly with out making it even worse,go to a few metal shaping websites or body shop websites and ask the pros there,they can help you with trying to straighten it out as is without starting over,they've helped me out with quite a few issues welding in body replacement panels with minimum warpage.

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 06:22 AM   #4
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I was just reading a thread in the CJ forum about a "metal shrinking" disk for a grinder. The video link showed a guy running the disk on high spots and then quenching with water to shrink the metal. He combined that with a "slap spoon" and "hammer/dolly" to really smooth the metal. Keep in mind, these were small bumps.. not sure how the disk would work on a large bowed area.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 06:46 PM   #5
Sproocket
1986 CJ7 

Thanks everyone.
Sproocket is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
welding patch

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.