Co2 Tank for OBA - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Co2 Tank for OBA

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 05-22-2009, 01:06 PM   #1
moprr71
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Co2 Tank for OBA

Can I use an aluminum Co2 tank for OBA like a power tank? These are used for kegs and paintball filling. There are some on ebay and i wanted to know if it would work

Unread 05-22-2009, 01:37 PM   #2
kickingprop
1985 CJ7 

The aluminum tank should be fine so long as its rated for the pressure you are wanting to charge it up to...
Phase Three: Waggy 44 front, Scout D44 Rear, 4.56's, ARB's (F/R) SOA with YJ Springs, 35x12.50x15 BFG MT - Not Even Close to beginning

Also a mostly rust-free 1970 Scout 800A That I'll get to start working on someday...

Quote:
Chrome won't get you home...BUT Rattle Can Black may just get you back"
kickingprop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2009, 02:46 PM   #3
moprr71
1997 TJ Wrangler 

what psi does the power tank hold?
Unread 05-22-2009, 03:24 PM   #4
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I figure that co2 can range up to about 1000psi depending on the temp. If the tank is rated for liquid co2 it will be fine.
jgorm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2009, 11:44 AM   #5
my-jeep-earl
1971 CJ5 

IMHO I would recommend using Nitrogen over CO2, it's dryer, larger molecules, and won't change pressure when hot. The cylinders hold 2100 PSI VS. 1000 or so with CO2, thus more tire fills.

Most all auto racing sanctions are using it now also, as well as the military for high flying aircraft (it won't freeze). I've been using it in all my vehicles for 2 years now, no problems!

If you do choose CO2, I wouldn't use a liquid tank (syphon, dip tube) as you'll be dumping the CO2 into the tire in liquid form and have it return to a gas form 'in the tire', probably not too good for the tire. Just a thought!
my-jeep-earl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2009, 01:35 PM   #6
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by my-jeep-earl View Post
IMHO I would recommend using Nitrogen over CO2, it's dryer, larger molecules, and won't change pressure when hot. The cylinders hold 2100 PSI VS. 1000 or so with CO2, thus more tire fills.

Most all auto racing sanctions are using it now also, as well as the military for high flying aircraft (it won't freeze). I've been using it in all my vehicles for 2 years now, no problems!

If you do choose CO2, I wouldn't use a liquid tank (syphon, dip tube) as you'll be dumping the CO2 into the tire in liquid form and have it return to a gas form 'in the tire', probably not too good for the tire. Just a thought!
CO2 tanks probably hold 15x (I think liquid to gas phase transitions expand around 14.x times) the volume of a N2 tank because the co2 is liquid. It wont spray out co2 if you use a standard tank. Most co2 regulators prevent liquid from coming out. You can get liquid N2 too, but the tanks and juice will cost WAY more.
Unread 05-24-2009, 05:25 PM   #7
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

before you kill yourself, read here:

Quote:
Q: “Why can’t I just make my own Power Tank TMCO2 system? What’s the difference?”
A: Although you can find CO2 tanks around you will be hard pressed to find or make a CO2 regulator that does what our SuperFlow regulators do. This is because common gas regulators that you would find at a welding or restaurant supply store are not designed to provide a high-pressure output AND, MORE IMPORTANTLY, A HIGH FLOW RATE. They are designed for low pressures and low flow rates. At the most they are used to operate pneumatic switches and valves – higher pressure but again low flow rate requirements. The high flow rate is the key to our SuperFlow HPXTM regulators. Our regulators use a proprietary design to provide a very high constant flow rate which is what enables it to run large air tools and inflate multiple tires at a high rate of speed. Normal regulators will quickly “freeze clog” and often destroy internal parts even at moderate flow rates due to CO2's freezing temperatures. Our SuperFlow regulators are compact, well built, and guaranteed to perform to our claims. We back every SuperFlow regulator with a limited lifetime warranty. This is unheard of in the regulator industry. Finally, we protect the regulator assembly against damage with our stout powdercoated aluminum Power Grip™ guard/handle.
http://www.powertank.com/faqs#question8
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2009, 10:22 PM   #8
moprr71
1997 TJ Wrangler 

so I can buy the regulator and find a Co2 bottle and have a reasonable OBA system. The power tank bottle is $200 and i found some on craigslist for $20.
Unread 05-24-2009, 11:49 PM   #9
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
before you kill yourself, read here:
http://www.powertank.com/faqs#question8
Thats just marketing BS. Maybe it will ice up if you are running a sand blaster, or an impact wrench on a tire change contest. Even if you get a lot of frost, there is nothing that is going to "explode". Maybe i'll test it out tomorrow with the impact gun on a regular regulator.
Unread 05-25-2009, 07:32 AM   #10
AlterEgo
2008 JK Wrangler 

Liquid CO2 tanks work fine for tires and air tools. Just make sure you get a high volume regulator. Wear gloves when using because the fittings can get quite cold.
Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
United Four Wheel Drive Associations
AlterEgo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2009, 11:44 AM   #11
my-jeep-earl
1971 CJ5 

Why would you want to dump an "ice cold" gas into a hot or even warm tire and have to do it with gloves on?

Nitrogen is at ambient temp. The regulators will cost the same price or close to it and mine fills the tire as fast or faster than a gas station pump.

Liquid Nitrogen would be impractical for this use as the container it's in is a glorified THERMOS bottle called a Dewar and not a high pressure cylinder.

A 20 lb CO2 will cost about the same as a 60 CF Nitrogen refill, just a thought!
my-jeep-earl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2009, 08:48 AM   #12
EMTimZJ
GSMW!

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Why would you want to dump an "ice cold" gas into a hot or even warm tire and have to do it with gloves on?

Nitrogen is at ambient temp. The regulators will cost the same price or close to it and mine fills the tire as fast or faster than a gas station pump.

Liquid Nitrogen would be impractical for this use as the container it's in is a glorified THERMOS bottle called a Dewar and not a high pressure cylinder.

A 20 lb CO2 will cost about the same as a 60 CF Nitrogen refill, just a thought!
my-jeep-earl, 20 lbs of CO2 is approx. 160 cubic feet... using the information YOU provided with your argument; why in the world would you pay the same price for 100 fewer cubic feet just to use nitrogen? Seems pretty silly.

Project TORTOISE Build-up thread

JCR Rock Sliders Ford Taurus E-fan Install Dana 20 Twin Stick
EMTimZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2009, 09:35 AM   #13
EMTimZJ
GSMW!

1994 ZJ 

Quote:

I think you should do some more background on the physical properties of gasses and chemicals. How is CO2 "wet?" (it's not!)

Larger molecules? No! N2 molecular weight = 28.014
CO2 molecular weight = 44.009... I will agree that this is not the important part, but the size of the molecule is. Still, N2 is actually smaller than CO2.

Both molecules are linear, so the length is not as important as the diameter of the largest atom.

Atomic radius of N = 65 pm
Atomic radius of O = 60 pm
Atomic radius of C = 70 pm (pm = picometers)

Major radius of N-N (N2) = 65 pm!
Major radius of O=C=O (CO2) = 70 pm!

It will not change pressure when hot? This is very incorrect, gaseous N2 will behave just like every other gas, there is nothing magical about it. You take N2, the purest and driest N2 your can get your hands on, put it in a fixed volume container (how about a tire?) and heat it up, the pressure will increase… guaranteed.

Project TORTOISE Build-up thread

JCR Rock Sliders Ford Taurus E-fan Install Dana 20 Twin Stick
EMTimZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2009, 09:44 AM   #14
NOVA87Wrangler
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTimZJ View Post
I think you should do some more background on the physical properties of gasses and chemicals. How is CO2 "wet?" (it's not!)

Larger molecules? No! N2 molecular weight = 28.014
CO2 molecular weight = 44.009... I will agree that this is not the important part, but the size of the molecule is. Still, N2 is actually smaller than CO2.

Both molecules are linear, so the length is not as important as the diameter of the largest atom.

Atomic radius of N = 65 pm
Atomic radius of O = 60 pm
Atomic radius of C = 70 pm (pm = picometers)

Major radius of N-N (N2) = 65 pm!
Major radius of O=C=O (CO2) = 70 pm!

It will not change pressure when hot? This is very incorrect, gaseous N2 will behave just like every other gas, there is nothing magical about it. You take N2, the purest and driest N2 your can get your hands on, put it in a fixed volume container (how about a tire?) and heat it up, the pressure will increase… guaranteed.
Tim is wise is the ways of Boyle's Law. PV=nRT FTW

Just use CO2 - it's more common and you can hook it back up to your kegorator when you get back from wheeling.
Unread 05-27-2009, 09:51 AM   #15
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA87Wrangler View Post
PV=nRT
Yup, you cant argue with the natural gas law!

But on the subject of N2 in tires... It does hold pressure longer, but its not because of the molecule size, its due to the lack of charge that makes it harder to get thru the rubber. I called BS when i first heard about this stuff, but then i did more research on it. Using pure N2 is a total waste of money considering you can get 78% nitrogen for free.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.