CNC Plasma System Build - iplasma table, Hypertherm, Dragon Cut - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > CNC Plasma System Build - iplasma table, Hypertherm, Dragon Cut

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 12-19-2012, 09:14 PM   #61
rescueweasel

WSS

I have always been a cad, black and white diagram kind of person. I started off making parts and components for machines. Then someone handed me a picture of their prized corvette and said can you make this out of sheet metal.

The rest is history. I'm not creative by nature and have had to work at it. When cash carrying customers walk in I tend to branch out of my comfort zone a little.

I had a job that came in a few weeks back that was all cad parts for a filtration unit. Took 6 sheets of steel with everything nested as tight as I could go. Much easier to do. Black and white cut the drawing.

I checked out your site nice oxy set up. I have not cut with oxy since I got my plasma. Definitely has its place. They had some really nice oxy machines running at the Fabtech show in Las Vegas last month.

rescueweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #62
rescueweasel

Its been a while since I have posted on this thread. Its been a year since I put my plasma system together, how time flies.

I put some new photos on the build website showing some then and now photos. http://www.cncplasmabuild.com/ I also fabricated up some splash guards for the table. I was frustrated when the water would splash out onto the floor or into the channels next to the water table so I created some guards to prevent that.

Since I'm always looking for the next thing, I have started looking into CNC Routing. Lots to learn in that area so it should be a fun adventure.

I hope to add a rotary tube cutter and a air scribe to my current system soon.

The machine has been performing great. I have been cutting a bunch of stainless steel lately for a customer. The machine has been producing awesome results. The material is brushed finish 20 G Stainless for a restaurant. I have been using the "best Cut" settings out of the Hypertherm Manual for the Powermax 65. I have no dross on the front or back. I have been leaving the protective film on the sheets and cutting film up. I'm not getting any discoloration on the sheets at the cut sites.

Could not be happier with the results.

I also got to clean out the table recently. That was a mess but thankfully I do not have to do it very often.

My evaporation rates have been so high lately I have to fill the table daily to keep up, temps outside have been 126 in the shop its been 110 thankfully its a "Dry Heat" . I was using the green cut but it became too diluted to be effective anymore. I got an order of Plasma Quench in but I'm not going to start using it until the temps cool down. For now I'm using just water.

Still looking for the perfect solution.

I got a look at the new table top plasma tables from Precision Plasma, I have thought many times it would be handy to have one that I could take to the job sites so that I could make custom pieces onsite. That would be slick to roll that out of the trailer and start cutting on a job site.

Time to get back to Cuttin!
water_table_splash_guard.jpg

clean_out_table.jpg

Unread 07-14-2013, 03:49 PM   #63
WSS
Ps:91

1972 CJ5 

Sweet! I am building a "brushing" attachment for alum and SS today for my machine. Have not used it yet but prelims look good.

Our Yellow 72 CJ5 build thread

Yellow Jeep club member #73802
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #64
rescueweasel

I would be very interested in some pics of the "brushing attachment" With the base system there are so many things that you can do, imagination is the only limitation.
Unread 07-14-2013, 05:52 PM   #65
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Right now, I am using a milwaukee hole shooter to power it but i will use a 150-200rpm ac gearmotor later and mount the motor over the brush to balance the load. The ol' drill is heavy!

Code was a handwrite, used 20ipm and set the Z at 0. The attachment has a die spring with a wing-nutted bolt to fine tune pressure.

http://s1344.photobucket.com/user/WS...82ed8.mp4.html

Unread 07-14-2013, 06:12 PM   #66
Griff1918
Web Wheeler
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Well if you wanna play with the machine, you can make me some sway bar mount for my Dana 30 on a 2000 Cherokee.
Griff1918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 07:19 PM   #67
rescueweasel

Very nice I like the idea. What grit/type of wheel are you using? Does is give you the results you want with one pass? Just need to add a few of those rolls side by side and make a 4 ft wide one and you can do full sheets.

I think for now I'm going to buy the pre-brushed sheets.
Unread 07-15-2013, 02:12 PM   #68
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueweasel View Post
Very nice I like the idea. What grit/type of wheel are you using? Does is give you the results you want with one pass? Just need to add a few of those rolls side by side and make a 4 ft wide one and you can do full sheets.

I think for now I'm going to buy the pre-brushed sheets.
It does (or will do) it in one pass. I still have to get the speeds and pressures right. I have hand written the code for it it do pretty much any size sheet I need. The two signs I have in right now are 37x47, so it will take a few passes.

I am using a M08/09 code that is used to trigger my cut oxy solenoid to power the drill.

So it would look like this:

F15 (still playing with ipms)
G00 X0.0 Y0.0 (GET TO THE STARTING CORNER)
M09 (DRILL ON)
Z0.0 (Z DOWN, here is were the pressure is kinda preset by feeling the drag and zeroing out)
G01 X47.25 Y0.0 (run the length)
Z2.0 (Z UP)
M08 (DRILL OFF)
G00 (rapid) X0.0 Y11.75 (Step over, do again and so on for width)
M09
Z0.0
G01 X47.75 Y 11.75
Z2.0 (Z UP)
M08

I found the brush on ebay, it is listed as a floor brush. It has a 7A/medium, cut and polish, which I would guess to be about 600grit.

Unread 07-15-2013, 09:25 PM   #69
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff1918 View Post
Well if you wanna play with the machine, you can make me some sway bar mount for my Dana 30 on a 2000 Cherokee.
Get me a drawing, lets play!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.