CNC Plasma System Build - iplasma table, Hypertherm, Dragon Cut - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > CNC Plasma System Build - iplasma table, Hypertherm, Dragon Cut

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 11-01-2012, 01:17 PM   #46
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Thanks for the explanation..

I think I'm probably gonna take the hit and pick up the retrofit Duramax Torch for my 1250. I already spent the morning reading up on it. Funny thing is, I just got an email yesterday from Ann Thompson at Hypertherm.. asking me about doing the Duramax retrofit on my 1250.. weird.. must be a conspiracy..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #47
rescueweasel

I'm glad to hear that the Duramax Torch series are free of this problem.

We have all of the lateist components from CandCNC and from Mach3. We have not started using all of the new features for the Hy-T Connect kit and the interface with the Powermax 65, but hope to be making use of that soon!
rescueweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #48
rescueweasel

Just got back from the SEMA show in Las Vegas had a great time, but its hard not to. I put the covers on the table and machine. These are just for when we are not going to be using things for a bit. They take less than a minute to put on or take off and will keep the grinding dust and general shop dirt off the components. Hope to have some cut pictures up early next week. Need a little time to recover from the show.
img_1689.jpg  
Unread 11-02-2012, 01:10 PM   #49
WSS
Ps:91

1972 CJ5 

I would love to here your input when you get er' up and running on the S code features and the DCC features. I have been reluctant to do it because our table is working good and you know the saying, if it works don't fix it! Much of our work involves "small holes" which as you know does not get along with plasma, the new DCC features should put us way up there with the high dollar machines using the true hole tech.

I like the covers! Good idea.

WSS
WSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 11:15 PM   #50
rescueweasel

This has been a great build! Ran into a few hurdles here at the end and between the SEMA show and FABTECH show I have not been around much to put in the final touches. But it is done and everything is working!!

I have some trial and error left to find the sweet spots in everything but that is for other posts down the line.

I will be keeping the build website going: www.cncplasmabuild.com I will keep posting progress reports and changes I make here.

I will be reviewing a few products like the Green Cut cutting fluid and other accessories that I add on and I will be trying out the Patina Finishes from Steel FX.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions from everyone along the way!
desert-fabworks-computer-cart-plasma.jpg   top-view-finisehd-plasma-table.jpg  
Unread 11-27-2012, 02:22 PM   #51
Griff1918
Web Wheeler
2003 TJ Wrangler 

How much you have wrapped up in this set up?
Griff1918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2012, 10:15 PM   #52
rescueweasel

It's tough to say I was keeping good track then there was all of the little things and extras and trips to the hardware store for this and that. Not counting labor hours or things I did maybe 10k powder coating and some of the extras I did pushed the total a little higher than I wanted but that includes a lot of things you don't see like all the extra consumables and the hand torch plasma leads and some other misc equipment. Could have done it cheaper could have done it more expensive. I do plan on adding a air script and rotary tube cutter down the road and maybe upgrade the gantry as the jobs I have pay for this set up.
Unread 11-28-2012, 07:34 AM   #53
Griff1918
Web Wheeler
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'm just trying to figure how much it would be to get this off the ground.
Griff1918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2012, 08:45 PM   #54
rescueweasel

If you have any questions or want to go over any options let me know you can email me. At http://www.desertfabworks.com/contactus.html. In case you have not been to the website I made for this build go to www.cncplasmabuild.com I have more info and pictures there.
Unread 11-29-2012, 09:30 PM   #55
WSS

1972 CJ5 

If you can build it yourself, go the way rescueweasel did. I did not (at first) go this route and it cost me big $$. I statred out with a DynaTorch and it was a miserable ride. I was losing a motor a month @ $1K each motor. No warranty after a year, next day shipping totals were over $2K. All said and done I have $40k in our table and about $13k was total loss. In the end I retro-fitted with a CandCnc PlazPak-4+ servo system that is simply mighty! It has unreal torque top and bottom. We can run as accurate at 4ipm as we do at 150ipm. Most of the stuff we built ourself (I am cheap).

Not trying to hijack, just suggesting a quality product with super support.

Rescueweasel, did you get a PN-200? I love mine, it has a screen mode that I can see on our hi mounted 29" monitor from across the shop at a glance, not to mention the super handy features, even straight line cutting right at your hand, great for chopping up web rems.

Our Yellow 72 CJ5 build thread

Yellow Jeep club member #73802
Unread 12-01-2012, 04:06 AM   #56
rescueweasel

WSS,

No PN-200 on this one. I have a xbox 360 remote that it working pretty good for me. It was free and while it does not due as much as the PN-200 it takes care of most of the remote control options I want at this point.
Unread 12-18-2012, 03:11 PM   #57
rescueweasel

It has been awhile since the last post. We have been very busy cutting. Things have been going well with the build. We have been running the machine about 8 hours a day 4 days a week for the past few weeks. We have been cutting mostly 16 and 30 gauge and have been getting fairly good consumable life. We are on our 3rd set of (electrodes / nozzles) We have not seen a change in cut quality but have pulled them after they have a 2mm depression in the electrode as part of the initial trials.

We have added several pages to the website dedicated to the build with some tips and tricks we have found so far as well as lots of photos of the first cuts and the projects we have been working on.

Here is a link to the web page: http://www.cncplasmabuild.com/index.html the newly updated pages are listed on the right side of the page.

We just uploaded 4 new videos to the site so that people could see the machine in action and some of the cuts that we have completed. Here is a direct link to the videos page: http://www.cncplasmabuild.com/videos.html

So where are we going from here? There have been several updates to the software from CandCNC for the Dragon Cut package as well as new posts for Sheetcam. We plan on making the updates and making the most out of the software. We also have some additions planned to the table.

Most of that will be after the first of the year. We want to clear out the last few jobs that we have pending and shut down the shop and get some rest and enjoy the holidays.

I have included a few pictures from recent jobs and cuts but most are on the website.

Hope that everyone has a good Christmas and a Happy New Year!
copper_plasma_bull.jpg   dreyers_trashcan_close.jpg   leatherheadslogo4.jpg   moca_plasma.jpg   we_dont_dial_911.sign.jpg  

Unread 12-18-2012, 09:57 PM   #58
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Cool vids! Is the color on the steel some of Bill Wardens etching chemicals? Looks good. On the machine cutting vid, I see the machine pause/idle for what looks like a second after the torch shuts off, is that elective? I had the feature added to our nesting poster but do not use it with plasma (oxy uses it to let the cut oxy bleed off or post flow). What is the reason for the delay? I see alot of machines do it, but never figured why.

Looks like nice smooth motion with some good accel. Very nice build, I like the "command center", well appointed!

WSS

Unread 12-19-2012, 12:10 AM   #59
rescueweasel

Thanks!, Not professional quality video but it gets the info out there,

Yes the patinas on the metal are all from Bill Worden at Steel FX, They are some great products that I'm glad I found. I have been cutting for a few years with our first machine and just did spray paint, powder coat or plain metal. The patinas really set things apart and are much less expensive than powder coating or painting I think.

The response has been great from my customers.

On the torch the delay at the end of the cut is on purpose in sheet cam you can program in a "pause at end of cut" when I got my first machine this was already programmed in and I did not really know what it was for and it worked so I left it.

When I first set this one up I set it up basically the same since the last machine worked.

How it was explained to me is that, with high speeds and acceleration that you can have on the plasma and the very narrow lines and detail that it is possible that the torch will start to move to a new location before the arc is out and it could cause a cut in the material where you do not want it.

I have also heard that the torch is so fast that this is not an issue and more for oxy than modern plasma. I have also heard a few other reasons but nothing that has caused me to turn it off. Basically with me is a not broke don't fix it. Its all working and cutting really well so I'm leaving it for now. When I get some down time I will play and tweak settings more but for now it works so it stays.
Unread 12-19-2012, 07:59 PM   #60
WSS

1972 CJ5 

I have some of Bill's stuff. It works great. I wish I had more need for it. I had a customer come in today with a 5'x6' piece of 3" T1 and a handful of cardboard templates. Not much "art" here LOL.

Great work you are doing. That would be my favored path (the art side) if I had a choice. I love making Jeep parts too, but even those are right brained.

WSS

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.