cnc plasma cut rear corner guards tj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > cnc plasma cut rear corner guards tj

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 12-03-2014, 07:42 PM   #1
Gavpowell
1999 TJ Wrangler 

cnc plasma cut rear corner guards tj

Hi all, I was thinking about cutting my own rear corner guards for my tj. want to do the cj tailgate conversion and the round led taillights. So after all that I wouldn't have to draw holes for the hinges. just the round taillights, license plate and the fuel cap. anyway, I was planning on using our cnc plasma cutter in class to cut from some 14 or 16 gauge steel. you can either draw your cut paths on the computer program or you can cut using a picture from the internet (to some extent). I am probably only a little less than an expert at the operation and could probably eventually draw the shapes I need BUT

I was wondering if anyone could give me ideas on how to go about it. Like should I measure from tailgate all around to where I want the guard to end and go from there? how should I go about the wheel arch? Does anybody have a flat layout picture of their corner guards before bent?
anyone familiar with cnc plasma cutting or the DesignEdge program any input?
I guess I could draw it out on paper or something but any help would be greatly appreciated!

"Jeeps don't get stuck, they just take quick naps... in deep holes... that sometime require an external force to be awoken." Anon "Everybody strap in... we're about to open some f***ing windows." Samuel L. Jackson
Gavpowell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2014, 01:37 AM   #2
YoungGun
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Start with cardboard and tape. Mock up what you want to do, then lay it back out and take measurements
Unread 12-04-2014, 12:42 PM   #3
Gavpowell
1999 TJ Wrangler 

wow thanks guess I should have just thought about it before making the post.
"Jeeps don't get stuck, they just take quick naps... in deep holes... that sometime require an external force to be awoken." Anon "Everybody strap in... we're about to open some f***ing windows." Samuel L. Jackson
Unread 12-10-2014, 09:01 AM   #4
NalinMFG
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Do you have a way to bend the radius?

5.25" TJ Speaker Adapters

Linkedin:
Andrew Nalin
Email: NalinMFG@gmail.com
Facebook: NalinMFG
NalinMFG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2014, 03:53 PM   #5
Gavpowell
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NalinMFG View Post
Do you have a way to bend the radius?
I was planning on using an oxy acetylene torch to heat it up and slowly bend it around something with a similar bend. I have plenty of materials so if that doesn't work I can figure something else out. Do you have any better ideas to bend it?
Unread 12-10-2014, 07:54 PM   #6
NalinMFG
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavpowell View Post
I was planning on using an oxy acetylene torch to heat it up and slowly bend it around something with a similar bend. I have plenty of materials so if that doesn't work I can figure something else out. Do you have any better ideas to bend it?
I've seen guys on here do it that way...I know it was a PITA making a die for production repeat-ability. A press and a 6"OD pipe would be a good place to start!

5.25" TJ Speaker Adapters

Linkedin:
Andrew Nalin
Email: NalinMFG@gmail.com
Facebook: NalinMFG
NalinMFG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.