CNC operation? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > CNC operation?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 04-03-2013, 08:02 PM   #1
sjones26573
GO GOATS!

2004 TJ Wrangler 

CNC operation?

So out of the blue today, I found out I've been offered a summer job to operate CNC machines at a machine shop from one of my step-dad's customers (whom I don't know). I'm seriously considering it as it would offer experience in my major and would probably pay better than my lifeguarding gig. Plus I imagine i'd enjoy it. Only downfall is a way longer commute than my pool job.

So what does it take to operate these machines? I know AutoCAD is important, and I trained on that for about 2 years in drafting and architecture classes in high school. The website shows operators need 2-5 years experience in Swiss turning (small precision items), which I do not have. So, what should I expect?

The Yellowtail Build
FOR SALE
NIB HiLift HL-484 48" Cast/Steel Jack
4" Fabtech Coils/Shocks (TJ/LJ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 08:38 PM   #2
sjones26573
GO GOATS!

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone?

The Yellowtail Build
FOR SALE

Quote:
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
Unread 04-03-2013, 08:48 PM   #3
Machinist
1995 YJ Wrangler 

o operate a machine,nothing.If you are doing production parts.One offs and set ups are different and each shop is different.Does he know that you are green to the whole machine shop thing.If so he may just be looking for a person to train the way he wants the person to work.Sometimes thats the best way to get what you want out of a employee.I have hired all sorts from top rate machinists to people that have never set foot in a machine shop.Be honest with him and you will do just fine.One trick that I do is I always have a small notebook that I write certain operations down so I can go back to them and learn from it.PM me if you have any other questions.
Machinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #4
sjones26573
GO GOATS!

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinist View Post
o operate a machine,nothing.If you are doing production parts.One offs and set ups are different and each shop is different.Does he know that you are green to the whole machine shop thing.If so he may just be looking for a person to train the way he wants the person to work.Sometimes thats the best way to get what you want out of a employee.I have hired all sorts from top rate machinists to people that have never set foot in a machine shop.Be honest with him and you will do just fine.One trick that I do is I always have a small notebook that I write certain operations down so I can go back to them and learn from it.PM me if you have any other questions.
Appreciate it. Yea, he knows I've never ran a CNC, but I think he knows how much I'm into Jeeps and that I've been doing a lot of welding and such lately, combined with my major, and that I'd be willing to learn.

The Yellowtail Build
FOR SALE

Quote:
Unread 04-04-2013, 06:06 AM   #5
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

Good tip on the notebook. It's just like anything, be ready to learn, ask questions, and practice.
aggiejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 04:18 PM   #6
Diamond-x
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I've never worked in a machine shop, although my father-in-law owned one for 50 years. I do home fab and enjoy it also.

My advice would be that the Life guard gig is a summer job at best. The machine shop job offer could be the beginning of a life-long career, even if it is just for the summer. Be sure to have a long talk with the shop owner so he is fully aware of your experience and desire to succeed, as well as your interest and enthusiasm.

Find out what machines he has and see if you can read some documentation on them.

It sounds like you have a great opportunity!
Diamond-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 04:20 PM   #7
sjones26573
GO GOATS!

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Citizen L20 Type VIII CNC

10 Units
Swiss automatic lathe
Simultaneous 8 axes control
20mm/.79" diameter bar capacity

Citizen L32

5 Units
Swiss automatic lathe
32mm/1 1/4" diameter bar capacity

Citizen C16

2 Units
Simultaneous 7 axes control
5/8" diameter bar capacity

Citizen C32 VIII

1 Unit
Simultaneous 5 axes control
32mm/1 1/4" diameter bar capacity

The Yellowtail Build
FOR SALE

Quote:
Unread 04-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #8
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I own my own shop and that includes CNC work. Being someone that has never been around this, if I were hiring you, I would first find out if this is short term. If so then the time you worked for me would be spent to get all of the parts through whatever machine you're running. You'd learn a few things but no more than needed and no more than you could catch onto. You'd be a button pusher. I would not invest any more in educating you than needed to get the work out the door.

Now if you wanted to advance and stay that would change things, provided I had the work to keep you here. Long term is always the best place to invest in people and learning. My way of thinking is to show you all you need to know to start your own business someday and to promote a trade that is fading away. There is a huge difference between the person that can "run" a machine to make a part than there is in a person that can think for themself and see a project to the end. I'll let you in on a secret. There are bosses that only want someone that can push buttons and make money for them. Then there are the ones that fully expect you to take the bull by the horns and go. These are the same ones that are dissapointed in lack of interest and motivation. Show an interest to learn and you'll be well on your way to gaining favor, just show up, stand around and wait on someone to lead you by the hand and you'll be viewd as lazy.

Always watch the experienced people and how they work. Make these people your friends, true friends and you will learn more than any college class will ever teach you. I've watch this trade evolve for the past 34 years and we are in dire need of folks that will advance not only the trade and themselves but also that the U.S.A. still can mean the best made stuff there is! Lastly there is a difference between a "machinist" and a "toolmaker". Go find some crusty, cranky old man in shop that turns out the best stuff and he'll explain the difference.

Best of wishes to you.
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.