CJ7 High Steer Kit - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > CJ7 High Steer Kit

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 06-22-2010, 11:59 PM   #31
Sportinwood
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
I couldn't see the pics on my gov't computer today so I had to wait to get home to take a peek.

Gotta agree with those that don't think it's going to stand up to the abuse. Parallel park next to a curb and have someone turn the wheel into the curb hard to see how the bracket takes it. I'm thinking the mounting bolts are gonna let go/loosen after a few lock-to-lock turns of the steering wheel.

I like the part of your bracket that runs down and catches the stock steering arm hole. I'd just look at making more attachment points on the rear portion of your bracket.
That's what I have been thinking about doing to beef it up some.. I think I can come up with a second bracket that will cradle the arm from the underneath side and attach to my bracket towards the back and drill/ tap a couple more holes on the bottom of the knuckle. I think this will give it allot more strength for the side to side torque..

Sportinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2010, 12:04 AM   #32
Sportinwood
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcneil View Post
The $50 solution is pull knuckle and take it to a pro welder to do it up right.

The 5/8 bolt will most likely loosen up over time. Sure, you used grade 8 on the bolt, but the rest of the joint is just as highly loaded and is only what, mild steel?
4340 chromoly
Unread 06-23-2010, 12:43 AM   #33
Sportinwood
1985 CJ7 

Thanks to all who have responded to this thread.. All your input has been noted and I will post some improvement pics. when I get it done. I am also going to have to fix some PO WTF's on the steering box brace and bracket you should see it. Gobs of weld on the stock sheet metal bracket and some home made POS brace out of angle iron that supports absolutely nothing. The whole steering box moves about 1" back and forth so it may be a little while before I get everything ironed out
Unread 07-30-2010, 08:37 AM   #34
Sportinwood
1985 CJ7 

Got the bracket beefed up what do you guys think now???

Ok guys here it is Ö The better version!! What I did was take the original bracket I built and add a bunch more steel to it.. I made a second bracket that that matches all of the goofy angles and radiuses on the knuckle and let me tell you it was no small feat to do this there is not one flat or square surface on that whole knuckle so it took some time to figure everything out.
The goal here was to build a tuff bolt on application however it just was not working out so I decided to go ahead with some welding. I had my new bracket welded to my old bracket to make one piece and then bolted the two pieces to my knuckle with the original two bolts then had both pieces welded to my knuckle. The new bracket basically added more beef to the old bracket and to the knuckle I also left a huge chunk of steel on the new bracket to act as a gusset. Now my bracket(s) looks like it is just another piece of the knuckle. As far as my original post goes you can forget about me building these to sell because it neither cheep nor easy to install.
Iím into this project only about $150 in materials but I have invested a ton of time and brain power (in the form of beer) to figure this thing out.. All and all I think it came out very nice and more than tuff enough this thing is not going anywhere now. I think it was well worth my efforts to build this thing on my own and I hope it can give some of you some ideas on how to build your own cheep and tuff cross over steering knuckle.

So what do you think??
100_4350.jpg   100_4349.jpg   100_4352.jpg   100_4358.jpg   100_4359.jpg  

Unread 07-30-2010, 08:40 AM   #35
Sportinwood
1985 CJ7 

And a few more
100_4361.jpg   100_4364.jpg   100_4366.jpg   100_4370.jpg   100_4369.jpg  

Unread 07-30-2010, 09:49 AM   #36
jsc7002
1966 CJ5 

its a clever idea, how did you weld it? wire? preheat?
Unread 07-30-2010, 09:55 AM   #37
Sportinwood
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc7002 View Post
its a clever idea, how did you weld it? wire? preheat?
A guy I work with has been a welder for 20 + years and he had a buzz box he brought over and some nickle rod. Worked out very well he got great penetration on both the cast knuckle and the steel bracket with no undercut.. I gave him a $20 well worth it!!!!
Unread 07-30-2010, 02:53 PM   #38
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

That looks better but man, that looks like quite a bit of work!

You know, a D44 flat top steering knuckle will fit a D30 axle C knuckle. You swap to aftermarket alloy inner shafts with the 760 size ujoint and use the D44 outer stub, hub, knuckle. Then, you can use a simple D44 high steer arm.

Granted, it would probably cost quite a bit more than making the setup you have but time is money..

Nice work though..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 06:56 AM   #39
Sportinwood
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
That looks better but man, that looks like quite a bit of work!

You know, a D44 flat top steering knuckle will fit a D30 axle C knuckle. You swap to aftermarket alloy inner shafts with the 760 size ujoint and use the D44 outer stub, hub, knuckle. Then, you can use a simple D44 high steer arm.

Granted, it would probably cost quite a bit more than making the setup you have but time is money..

Nice work though..

Yes It was a **** load of work and a ton of but worth it in the end. My original idea was that it was going to be a quick and easy fix with the equipment I have it just didn't work out as planned. Once I started I just couldn't stop. I had it in my head that I was not going to spend a ton of money on this and I really wanted to build it myself thats why I bought a mill and lathe in the first place so I could build stuff on my own. Anyway thanks for everyones Input on this I ended up using just about everyones ideas and I think it turned out awsome because of it. Next on the list 1 Ton TRE's and I still need to get a good steering box bracket and brace. Also fix a leak in my steering box and try to get some of the slop out of it. Maybe after all that my steering will be done?? Its already a whole bunch better than it was.
Unread 08-01-2010, 03:21 PM   #40
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Check eBay for the Rocktight (or Rocktite?) steering box mount.. for the price, I just ponied up and bought it instead of making my own. It's tough, powder coated, cheap and fit well.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2010, 01:12 AM   #41
Sportinwood
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Check eBay for the Rocktight (or Rocktite?) steering box mount.. for the price, I just ponied up and bought it instead of making my own. It's tough, powder coated, cheap and fit well.
Ya I have seen that I think it was like $69 or so. That was my plan too I just need to get my Elk hunt out of the way now before I buy anything else. How did you like that kit?? did it install ok?
Unread 09-25-2010, 08:15 AM   #42
keviny
1984 CJ7 

Dana 44 flat top knuckles

Any one have any use for a set of waggy Dana 44 flat top knuckles. (Not milled or drilled) have from the axles out including calipers.(keviny@windstream.net)
keviny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2010, 03:22 PM   #43
tmilburn
1982 CJ7 

what do you want from them??
tmilburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2010, 11:30 PM   #44
Sportinwood
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmilburn View Post
what do you want from them??

Sorry I'm not selling any of these. It just turned out to be way too much work but hopefully the pics will give others some idea on how to do it.

Tags
cj , custom , high steer

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.