Cj7 half doors any suggestions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Cj7 half doors any suggestions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 01-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #1
mtndrew
1983 CJ7 

Cj7 half doors any suggestions

I'm looking into making half doors for the 7. I already have full doors in good condition and all the half doors I find on Craigslist are expensive. So anyone ever chop the top off a throw away set of doors and go that route. Any suggestions appreciated.

mtndrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2013, 07:01 PM   #2
yellow04tj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Are you wanting to make some tube doors or solid ones? I've seen some tube doors made from the tire carrier from either a Nissan pathfinder or maybe it was a bronco 2. I can't remember witch SUV it came from, but they looked good.
yellow04tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2013, 07:46 PM   #3
mtndrew
1983 CJ7 

I kind of wanted solid but I would do either right now the wife needs to feel a little less like she's going to slip right out of the jeep
Unread 01-08-2013, 08:51 PM   #4
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

I cut down an old pair of CJ7 doors and made half doors out of them.
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2013, 03:21 PM   #5
Destr0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have a set of junk doors in the garage I was thinking of playing with- I want to cut out the centers and replace with an expanded metal grate. Also thinking of adding an expanded metal roll up window to keep the brush from entering the cab, but not sure it is worth the effort for the window...

I 7 year old loves to go wheeling but I only do it with the full doors on with him- I figure if I make a set that feels more open but will keep him from leaning out would be cool for the summers.
Destr0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2013, 11:54 AM   #6
mtndrew
1983 CJ7 

So if I find a set of junk doors and cut them down what should I use to cap the top.
Unread 01-11-2013, 01:59 PM   #7
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

If you use rotary latch style doors, then yes, you can cut them down. Here's a set I did a while back. I cut them down and then ripped down a 1x4 piece of wood to fit in between the inside and outside of the shell. I screwed it in place to add support to the upper edge of the door and then capped it with a piece of sheet metal I bent up.

'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2013, 09:34 AM   #8
mtndrew
1983 CJ7 

Awesome that's kind of what I was wondering if I should block the inside if the door. Thanks jeepwhore
Unread 01-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #9
biggunner
1981 CJ7 

I am making a set of half doors out of full hard doors right now, I'm almost done one, then i still have to do the other one. I can post pics in a couple hours if you would like.
I got most of it done, except the top edge. waiting on money to buy material for the top edge.

Bradley
biggunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #10
mtndrew
1983 CJ7 

That would be great thank u
Unread 01-21-2013, 09:55 PM   #11
NashvilleTJ

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Since you would be altering the full doors anyway, have you considered selling the full doors to finance paying for a set of factory half doors? There is also a market for the full doors - I'm guessing that you may come out ahead.

Good luck!
NashvilleTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2013, 11:54 PM   #12
mtndrew
1983 CJ7 

I thought about that but I really like having my full doors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.