CJ Stretched to Four Doors - Advice Needed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > CJ Stretched to Four Doors - Advice Needed

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-01-2013, 07:03 AM   #1
allanbranch
1978 CJ5 

CJ Stretched to Four Doors - Advice Needed

-- 1st post on this forum --

I've been researching CJ conversions/stretched to four doors. Just to be sure my Google searching has turned up the best results.

What are your favorite/best posts/articles/blog posts about this mod?
Has anyone written a step by step guide?
Has anyone written a "Common Mistakes" or something?

I've noticed it's more common to make the conversion with CJ7 tubs than a front CJ7 + CJ5 (rear door). Any thoughts on why it's usually CJ7 and not a mix of both models?

Unread 10-01-2013, 06:07 PM   #2
lar308

1990 YJ Wrangler 

You started well. There are other factors to consider. Function, apearance, what do you what it to do?. What do YOU want the end product to do? I'll help if I can, Ron
lar308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2013, 10:36 AM   #3
allanbranch
1978 CJ5 

Hi Ron, thanks for the reply.

I don't do much off-roading maybe a couple times a year, nothing serious like rock climbing. My current Cj5 has 33.5x12.5, I'd like to go to 35's on this project. I have a couple other vehicles so this jeep wouldn't get driven but on weekends. I have two kids and wife and we're just all cramped in the CJ5. I'm a relative newbie with engines and metal work. But my work (software designer) allows me to take off as much time as I want (I own the company). I also have access to metal workers, tools etc. My family owns oil changes and car washes, we have an empty closed oil change with tools + floor lifts. So I thought it would be fun to participate in a project like this. i spent two years working at body shop in high school, so I'd do much of the body prep work myself and get someone to paint it.

I'm in a researching phase but plan on start buying pieces this winter.

Being this is my first stretch I hope not to totally screw up a couple tubs before learning common mistakes in this conversion.
Unread 10-03-2013, 05:31 PM   #4
lar308

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I understand the pride and accomplishment of building something yourself, but It would cost less and take less time, to buy a 4 door JK. Personnally I'd build one. Do you have a vehicle to start with? You need to do some additional research, How much more room do you need? Try out a 4 door JK for space, Will all the family fit comfortably? And most important "How much of teh fab work are you realalisticly capable of?" I don't want to discourage you, but I not very good at sugar coating a s..t pill, this is a big project. With your families safety involved. Ron
Unread 10-04-2013, 05:18 AM   #5
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

As for using 2 CJ7s versus a CJ7/CJ5, the rear CJ7 door openings would look more symmetrical and would be easier for entry/exit into the vehicle.

However, using CJ5 rear openings should allow a slightly shorter overall vehicle length.

Either way, it would be a pretty expensive project with a substantial amount of fabrication required.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 09:52 AM   #6
allanbranch
1978 CJ5 

First many thanks for all the feedback!

I love getting in over my head but I know Craigslist is filled with failed/unfinished jeep projects that started with high hopes just like mine.

As mentioned previously my family owns car washes and our maintenance facilities have mig, tig and stick welders, plasma cutters etc. I have access to an empty two bay oil change, lifts etc. I have access to air tools, although I do probably need to buy some sanding equipment. My good friend is a boilermaker who will head up the fab. I spent a few years sanding cars at a local body shop. If addition fab work is needed, my family's car washes have a maintenance staff of 3 former ship builders (metal workers).

I am naive, but smart and many resources at my finger tips. So I really don't plan on heading up the project, just participating and hiring the right people. But I do want to be well researched and learn as much as possible. I have a local mechanic that heads the local tech school that's going to help me rebuilt my current cj5's 304 this December. He's going to head up the engine work in the jeep I want to build either at the school he teaches at or at the vacant oil change my family owns.

I've found a few failed jeep projects on craigslist and I'm confident I can get all the body parts, top, doors, etc plus frame for less than $3000. My goal is to keep this project under $12,000.

You're probably like, this guy is insane or a making stuff up, I'm just foolhardy and love to learn.

Buying a new jeep isn't interesting to me, the whole value of this project is to actually build something, participate in the process and learn something new. Maybe I'll learn that I'm unable to finish a jeep build like that, maybe I'll just get tired of it half-way thru.

So I'm leaning towards four CJ7 doors, I dislike my CJ5's doors due to the door peg that occasionally catches my pocket as I enter or get out of it.
Unread 10-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #7
allanbranch
1978 CJ5 

Also this is my current CJ5, it's a fiberglass tub. I cut the wheel well back and moved the seat down and back. I'm 6'4" and fit into it pretty well. I also helped/participated in the install of the tilt steering wheel.
Unread 10-04-2013, 04:50 PM   #8
lar308

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, You still need to establish how much extra room you will need. Which will let us know how much more wheel base you'll need. Planning will save money and time. You may want to campare wheel base's and frame design of a scrambler. I'm in Ron
Unread 12-30-2013, 01:15 PM   #9
MCCRARY
1981 CJ7 

Allen just ran across your project . I strechted my cj7/cj7 41 inches because thats how the door openings worked out . I'm new on this forum , when I can figure out how to post pics here I will.
MCCRARY is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.