CJ Skid Plate - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > CJ Skid Plate

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCKJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 12-01-2007, 08:46 PM   #1
dirtman13
2007 CJ7 

CJ Skid Plate

So after having to repair my stock skid plate after almost every run I decided it was time to build my own out of some stronger material. After much research I came up with a design. I started by getting some 1 1/2"x.120 ERW tubing and borrowing a tube bender from one of my buddies. That's when I learned that bending tubing is not that easy. After much research I decided that the Pro Tool instructions was how I was going to do my bends. This is the link to their instructions. http://www.pro-tools.com/pdf/105.pdf

The bender I used is a Pro Tool MB 105.
I thought that .120 would be hard to bend in a manual bender but I have to say it bends really easy.
Once I finished the bends it was time to figure out the best place for the tubing. There is defiantly a limit to how far forward you can go because of the front drive shaft. Also in this picture you can see the stock skid plate that is beat to crap.

Once I got all the clearances figured out it was time to add some strength. For this to look clean I needed to notch the tubing as clean as possible. I picked up this drill press for $40 and bought a 1 1/2" hole saw. This was quite challenging but It work out great.

After I figured out the press (long story) I was home free and things went really smooth.

Once the cross tubing was complete it was time for the transmission mount. For this I used 1/4" steel plate.

After I got the transmission mount welded it was time for the tabs that would hold the aluminum plate on. For this I used 1 1/4"x1"x3/16" stock.

Now it was time for the aluminum. I used 1/4" for this. Again you will see the piece of junk stock skid. Things were starting to look good and I was happy with the results so far.

Then after about 9 hours and about $200 dollars I was done (except paint). I figured I came out ok as I still have lots of material left for future projects and I have seen similar skids for over $400.

All in all I"m very happy with the results. I would have really liked to just installed a piece of 1/4" aluminum flush with the frame but this was not possible. Now I can't wait to test it out.

dirtman13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2007, 09:18 PM   #2
bairy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Looks great.
I would have looked into UHMW instead of the aluminum for cost and "slidability". I never liked aluminum and rocks.
bairy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2007, 09:37 PM   #3
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Perfect timing on this! I am installing 4 to 1 gears in my D300 and also picked up a clocking ring. Plan is to build almost exactly what you did but I'll probably use steel and UHMW plastic. That stuff is great! I have it on the belly skid of my buggy.. slides really well on the rocks.

Great job!

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2007, 11:47 AM   #4
Fatman
2008 CJ7 

What a nice job. Going to have to make one of these for mine.
Simple, clean, efficient design.
Let us know how it holds up after your run.
Thanks!
Unread 12-02-2007, 04:46 PM   #5
Exparrot
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Looks real good. I've been asking around about something like that for my YJ, I think I might just have to borrow your design idea.
LO Jeep Club #111 [and not proud of it]
Red Jeep Club #MC399
Exparrot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2007, 09:14 AM   #6
dirtman13
2007 CJ7 

Thanks guys. I tried it out yesterday. I found myself actually looking for boulders. Skid worked great. Very durable.
dirtman13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2007, 02:42 PM   #7
puggles

Yep looks like a professional job.

Do you think the 1 1/2"x.120 ERW tubing would be stong enough for a roll bar? I have a single bar and would like to modify to cover the from 2 seats.

Really good job here's to ya
puggles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2007, 12:59 AM   #8
tahoe wheelers

I used the 1.5" x .120 ERW for the two in bars on my roll cage and for my radiator hoop and stinger. Dont really care if it gets mashed as long as it prevents damage to the rig.
1985 cj 7. 360 V8, 35X12.50 BFG's sitting on Crager 15X8 rims, summer brothers axle rear, Yukon axles up front, lock rite lockers front and rear, 5" of lift, body armor, six point roll cage, 8000lb warn winch, 4.56 yukon gears front and rear, t-18, dana 300. And much more on the way.

www.therockgods.com
www.reno4x4.com
tahoe wheelers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.