CJ rear crossmember fab ideas - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > CJ rear crossmember fab ideas

** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear

Unread 06-20-2009, 08:42 PM   #1
chet44
Web Wheeler
1985 CJ7 

CJ rear crossmember fab ideas

Well, my front bumper build is at a point that I can start looking at the rear bumper design. Today I dropped the gas tank to see what I am dealing with as far as the frame rails and crossmember. the frame rails look good, with some slight rot at the ends on the inside walls. But I really don't like the factory crossmember. I tried the search, with 3 different descriptions, but had no success. I'm looking to see what others replaced the factory crossmember with. I'm kind of thinking about incorporating the body mounts and skidplate bolt holes into the rear bumper (I tend to overbuild things), but I'd really like to get some ideas and/or input from others. My crossmember looks like it was weak when it was new, and now it has seen waaay better days. Thanks in advance,

Jim

Last edited by chet44; 06-20-2009 at 08:43 PM.. Reason: spelling
chet44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2009, 06:41 AM   #2
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I built my own out of 3.5"x3.5" angle.. 1/4" thick. I just welded a lip along the bottom for the gas tank skid to bolt up.

If I were going to do it again, I'd probably contact this guy...

http://www.cj-8.com/forum/showthread...ar+crossmember

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2009, 06:46 AM   #3
chet44
Web Wheeler
1985 CJ7 

That looks pretty good. i hope he has some left.
chet44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.