Chop Saw Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Chop Saw Help

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 10-01-2010, 08:54 PM   #1
DDove
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Chop Saw Help

If I have a 10inch compound mitre saw can I put a chop saw blade in it and cut metal. Thanks

DDove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2010, 09:08 PM   #2
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't advise it..2 reasons..the metal chop saw blades are designed for a different RPM..plus needs to be a stronger motor to handle the strain it puts on it..so it'll wear that motor out in no time..
2..metal chop saws are designed without any plastic materials..most wood saws have plastic parts and the sparks/fire will destroy it

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2010, 03:24 AM   #3
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

I tried doing that with my wood chop saw. It worked fine for small stuff but once you get into the heavy material for like body armor the motor just wouldnt cut it. I was able to take off all the plastic parts so I didnt damage anything. Worked good for cutting the 1 1/2" OD EMT I used for making my light bar and roof rack.
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2010, 06:19 AM   #4
thatnameisinuse
1998 TJ Wrangler 

What ironworker said , I use this saw and love it

YouTube - Evolution Rage 2 Dry Cut Chop Saw
thatnameisinuse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2010, 10:14 AM   #5
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatnameisinuse View Post
What ironworker said , I use this saw and love it

YouTube - Evolution Rage 2 Dry Cut Chop Saw
How do you like the Evolution? Is that the 12" 0r 14" model?

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2010, 12:04 PM   #6
ksander
2000 XJ Cherokee 

It kind of depends on what kind of saw you have. I've used an abrasive wheel on my miter saw to cut lots of metal and it works great. Its a really old saw but it was also designed to cut masonry stuff so I think it is a lot tougher than the cheap plastic ones sold now.
Unread 10-02-2010, 08:18 PM   #7
thatnameisinuse
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i have the 14 and its a beast
thatnameisinuse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2010, 01:32 AM   #8
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

Im in the market to purchase a dry cut chop saw. Im really interested in the Rage 2-3 but wanted to see if anyone knows whats the difference between the Fury 2 and Rage 2? seem very simular but the price is much different.
Are there any other brands of Saws that I should be looking at? Dont want to spend more then about $300 and the max thickness of metal I would be cutting is about 1/2" to give you an idea of what Im using it for....
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2010, 03:29 AM   #9
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord2 View Post
Im in the market to purchase a dry cut chop saw. Im really interested in the Rage 2-3 but wanted to see if anyone knows whats the difference between the Fury 2 and Rage 2? seem very simular but the price is much different.
Are there any other brands of Saws that I should be looking at? Dont want to spend more then about $300 and the max thickness of metal I would be cutting is about 1/2" to give you an idea of what Im using it for....
I think you're best bet would be to start another thread asking about dry cut shop saws to get more responses....

I use a few at Nuclear power plant fab shops and a few other jobs but these saws are WAY over you're 300.00 budget

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2010, 05:41 PM   #10
bairy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I love my rage 3 saw. Cuts like steel is butter. It is loud though. Find a local saw sharpening guy. I get mine resharpened every once and a while for 11 bucks.
bairy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.