Carbon Fiber parts anyone? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Carbon Fiber parts anyone?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 10-02-2014, 05:26 PM   #1
ECSALTLIFE13
1986 CJ7 

Carbon Fiber parts anyone?

Here's the deal I worked roughly for 3 years building carbon fiber show parts for street bikes and performance parts for dirt bikes and really enjoyed fabricating these parts; so i have decided that I would try and start building some parts for Jeeps. I have owned 2 XJ's, 1 TJ and 1 CJ7 so I have a real love for jeeps and would love making something for Jeeps. With that being said I'm trying to figure out what people are wanting. I will say this I cannot do anything very large at this time so NO Hoods or anything like that. I am thinking about flat fender flares project for a TJ, something along the lines of the BW flat fenders. I think with the rigidity of carbon it would be perfect because of how much it flexes and still retains the memory. Anyways let me know any ideas that you guys have. I can also explain more of the characteristics of carbon and different types of resin that affects it if you'd like to know.

ECSALTLIFE13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2014, 06:15 PM   #2
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

You're gonna need to prove they'll survive an interaction with a tree.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2014, 06:40 PM   #3
gregstudeny
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Removable flat fenders.
gregstudeny is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2014, 07:04 AM   #4
ECSALTLIFE13
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_dippert View Post
You're gonna need to prove they'll survive an interaction with a tree.
I'm with you on that. I also have a 2005 LJ so I was gonna try it out on that first. I think with the right resin and carbon thickness it would be pretty tough we used to build motorcross dirt bike skid plates and they came with a lifetime warranty (in three years I only seen one come back because the bolts pulled thru the hole so we fixed that with kevlar). The only thing is to build the first set it will be pretty exspensive bc I will have to custom build the mold first (that cost affects me not the customer). That's why I kinda was just throwing that out there to see if anyone may be interested and if so I would build some more if not I probably won't build it at all because I could just go out and buy some plastic ones.
Unread 10-03-2014, 07:11 AM   #5
ECSALTLIFE13
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregstudeny View Post
Removable flat fenders.
When you say removable you mean like quick removal? Say like put on for street use take off for offroad? Thats actually an intriguing idea.
Unread 10-04-2014, 03:43 PM   #6
gregstudeny
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSALTLIFE13 View Post

When you say removable you mean like quick removal? Say like put on for street use take off for offroad? Thats actually an intriguing idea.
Exactly what I meant.
gregstudeny is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2014, 04:57 PM   #7
jason m

I think one major thing to get past is that can CF resist rock rash or tear up fiberglass does. We know it can't be tougher than steel in a wear situation but how much wear and tear can it take grinding a fender into a rock wall let's say.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2014, 05:15 AM   #8
athos76
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Carbon fiber isn't very durable when it comes to rocks or trees. It might be good for a pavement princess, but not for on the trail. Maybe a CF bikini top or hood louvers.
Unread 10-08-2014, 12:50 PM   #9
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yea, I'm not really so sure carbon fiber really has a place on the exterior jeeps, maybe interior parts for people who just like the look of carbon fiber? But I don't think I'd want anything that comes in contact with rocks, trees, or anything else made out of CF. Idonno, maybe it's just me, but I kinda think carbon fiber look doesn't really fit a jeep any how. But maybe some people like it.

If you were able to make grill, I could see some people with the newer JK jeeps having a CF grill for the looks.
Unread 10-09-2014, 07:26 PM   #10
TMLoftis
1978 CJ5 

I've been thinking about a carbon fiber panel that the windshield wipers go through. Seems like it would be easy enough.

Was also thinking about some body armor as well. It seems like it would be fill a nice gap between nothing and aluminum.
TMLoftis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.