Calling all TIG weldors.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Calling all TIG weldors..

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 05-04-2012, 02:47 AM   #1
Maximus856
1968 J-Series Truck 

Calling all TIG weldors..

I know MIG pretty much rules the roost now in terms of offroad fabrication. Understandably, as it produces good welds in all positions on a various amount of metals. With a bit of training, it is a 'do all machine,' and an affordable one at that. For those who prefer or simply don't have a choice (for whatever reason), what do you prefer in the way of using a TIG machine? I ask this in reference to scratch start vs. footpedal. I've done some out of position TIG welding with a footpedal, and it certainly takes some getting used too. I can't recall off the top of my head ever using scratch start, but I feel that this way would certainly be beneficial to doing something such as a cage, especially with todays finger controls. I realize most people who have access to a nice TIG machine typically have access to a MIG machine, but I'm speaking TIG only..

If you're curious as to why I'm asking this, it came to me when I found an add for a syncrowave with a footpedal but no torch... usually its the other way around

Maximus856 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2012, 07:03 AM   #2
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Scratch start is just the very basic setup..it can be usable but if you have the resources to get and use a high frequency start or lift arc it makes it MUCH nicer...and a foot pedal to control your heat at all times is also a big plus all around,havin the heat very low on a start makes it much nicer to have more control before you "throw the heat" to it.making sure you are in the exact spot you want to be before the work begins...it is also real nice for controling the heat through the weld to keep the heat zone controlable and possible burn through.....it is also real nice for the stops,your not "yanking" the torch quickly away from the end of the puddle to stop the arc and possibly losing your inert atmosphere before the weld puddle cools,causing contamination.

The reason that machine has the pedal and not the torch is most likely because the torch is a consumable,probably was wore out or even used for another machine they bought in place of this one.

Finger controls have thier ups and downs....if your in a spot laying down on your back or in any funky position it could be nice....but in a good position i didn't like the finger control,i felt like it took more focus attention and steadiness from the torch hand to control the puddle more fluently everytime youd try to turn the knob for heat adjustment, it sort of hindered the focus and steadiness of controling the puddle...i geuss with alot practice with them it could be real nice..i just personaly like the foot control better when possible.

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2012, 07:08 PM   #3
tangotag
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Foot pedal but many times we have used hand, knee, or a second man operating the foot pedal. It depends on the position and available space to wiggle into.

Re: the add
Maybe the seller is keeping his liquid cooler for his torch. We have both TIGs with coolers and others without. The chilled torches are best for prolonged welding.
tangotag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2012, 04:11 AM   #4
parker007
1977 CJ5 

im glad im not the only one that strugle with foot pedal. i weld food grade pipe and tanks and inside a ss tank runing foot pedal and filler is a frustrating task. i endup using knee also and feel like a monkey pating head and rubing stomach. But i will say tig is way beter for clean welds with no distortion and low heat. but tig require much patience in set up. if you try to fill gaps it is not desirable. and remember the faster you weld the less loss of chemical composition. which means cleaner weld.
parker007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.