CAD File Sharing Now Possible!! - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #76 of 93 Old 07-07-2015, 11:01 AM
IL_Bow_Man
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantYJ View Post
If you can draw an object using a polyline, the only real additional commands that you need to know are extrude, revolve, slice, subtract, align, interfere, and union. There are a lot of handy commands that you can pick up as you go; however there isn't much you can't do with a good understanding of 2D AutoCAD and the commands listed above coupled with the ability to envision parts in three dimensions. I have a ton of engineering software at my disposal, but when I decide to rough something out, 9 times out of 10 I do it in AutoCAD.
A large part of my reasoning for this is the way you build it in the program. You build things in the program using the same processes you do in the shop with real material. It may take you a little more time (at least when you're new to it), but it's much easier to avoid designing yourself into a corner.

Disclaimer:
I've been using AutoCAD professionally for about 20 years. I'll admit that I have some bias. That being said, I've worked with SolidWorks, Pro-E, Inventor, Mudbox, Mechanical Desktop, GDS, and a whole bunch of other stuff that you've never heard of and plain old AutoCAD is still my go to software. It's a workhorse and there simply isn't anything else out there that will cover the range of work that you can do with it.

Disclaimer Part II:
My "needs" may be a bit different than yours. I don't draw parts for practice. If I'm drawing a part, I'm either trying to decide whether it's worth the effort to build, or I've decided to build it and it's too complex to build on the fly without wasting a lot of material or time. Also, in addition to using design software for the standard "cutting and welding with a little forming where absolutely required" type of fabrication work that most folks on this site do, I also use it for machining work, sheetmetal forming, and metal casting. I need a program that is fairly capable in all these areas because I often have combinations of different fabrication disciplines that come together as an assembly.

In other words, mileage will vary, but give AutoCAD another shot. You don't have to use every command in the book.
I am going to agree and disagree with this...lol

AutoCAD is a power house for what it is...I used it for many years. But with 15 years of experience with Solidworks, SolidWorks is my go to whenever I am doing anything. I really only use AutoCAD these days for old stuff that I have to open.

It really is what you are comfortable and proficient with...I can do things way faster in Solidworks then I can in AutoCAD these days.

Quote:
I also use it for machining work, sheetmetal forming, and metal casting. I need a program that is fairly capable in all these areas because I often have combinations of different fabrication disciplines that come together as an assembly.
I have used SolidWorks for all of these fields and it is very capable of all of these.

But to each his own...it is all a matter of each persons opinions. I am glad to see other folks on the forums share a similar background in designing there own parts and making them!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 93 Old 08-05-2015, 11:51 AM
roes
1947 CJ2A 

Bracket for mounting Chevy 3/4T calipers to Spidertrax knuckles. Drill and tap holes to 7/16-20.
Attached Thumbnails
1947WILLYS365.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: dxf 080415_spidertraxcaliperbrkt.dxf (12.2 KB, 59 views)
post #78 of 93 Old 08-08-2015, 05:46 PM
SadDayPanda
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roes View Post
Bracket for mounting Chevy 3/4T calipers to Spidertrax knuckles. Drill and tap holes to 7/16-20.
Is it my eyes tricking me, or do you have a bend in there?

87, 93, 95 YJ
92, 98 XJ
87 J10

post #79 of 93 Old 08-09-2015, 07:42 AM
roes
1947 CJ2A 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadDayPanda View Post
Is it my eyes tricking me, or do you have a bend in there?
Its flat.
post #80 of 93 Old 09-29-2015, 10:31 AM
kosemund

does anyone have drawings for tj armor? or anything else armor realted for tj or cj? looking to cut and bend my own.
post #81 of 93 Old 09-29-2015, 11:11 AM
tdkask

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosemund View Post
does anyone have drawings for tj armor? or anything else armor related for tj or cj? looking to cut and bend my own.
Sorry... no help here... but, how are you going to bend the radius for back corners?

80 CJ7_360_32RH_D300_44/9"(4.56)_custom bumpers/cage
4" lift,tube fenders,comp cut_37s on H1 rims
post #82 of 93 Old 09-29-2015, 07:54 PM
kosemund

i have access to a large metal shop that has a radial bender. thought about the ole 6 " pipe to bend it around but i have to figure out the cad part and then find out where to start my bend.
post #83 of 93 Old 12-17-2015, 09:18 AM
Jeep_Parts_NC

8.8 parts

This is a great thread that has tons of great information.
Currently, I am looking for link tabs that weld on to my 8.8.
The tube size is 3.25 and I would like to know if anyone has a file for some axle tabs (control arm mounts) for that size.
Also, if you have anything else that deals with 8.8s please let me know.
Thanks
post #84 of 93 Old 01-11-2016, 10:24 AM
FabconJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosemund View Post
i have access to a large metal shop that has a radial bender. thought about the ole 6 " pipe to bend it around but i have to figure out the cad part and then find out where to start my bend.
Here you GO.. The DFX shows center of bend location. This is for a TJ.
Attached Thumbnails
Passenger Side Guard.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: dxf Passenger Side Guard.DXF (59.1 KB, 51 views)
post #85 of 93 Old 01-20-2016, 07:44 AM
roes
1947 CJ2A 

The more resources the better for all of us DIYers! Here is FB page I created a few weeks ago, its really taken off.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/OFFROADCNCFILESHARING/
post #86 of 93 Old 04-05-2016, 12:06 PM
chris86vw
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95GC_Fred View Post
This ZJ 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Door Patch Panel was made to match either drivers door or passenger front door. Just
flip the piece and counter sink the holes to match which side your
placing the door patch panel on (left side[drivers] or right
side[passenger]. I used 16 gauge sheet steel to have a shop plasma cut the panel. They edited the AutoCad DXF file format 2004 and removed the dimension lines, leaving only the drawing outline, the 3 holes 3/8 in diameter, which enlarged in size from the counter sink operation, and the 4 inside welding holes. Weld a small bead length on the 4 rounded corners, 1 short bead in the middle on the long flat side, 2 small beads near the cutout where the striker plate loop enters the door latch. Put a small tack weld in the 4 inside welding holes, if you need too.

You can use this Teigha convertor to make this DXF file created with
QCad for Windows version 2.0.5, compatible with your plasma cutter setup.
http://www.opendesign.com/guestfiles...aFileConverter

http://qcadbin-win.sourceforge.net/ Version 2.0.5 Qcad is available for the Mac and for Linux too. http://qcad.org/en/
or 3.4.2 version downloads http://www.ribbonsoft.com/en/qcad-downloads-trial

Fred L Finster wb7odyfred@yahoo.com I grant creative commons use of this DXF file that I created on October 29, 2013. I can have a patch panel plasma cut for you, too. Enjoy the pictures.
971 239-0140 or 360 403-9198

I grabbed some 16 gauge last night, was about to walk into the shop to go make a stencil to do exactly this but on our shop beater truck a 2001 3500 cummins. Randomly skimming this thread eating a snack first and BOOM this.. I print it out on paper matches up 99%, ram door slops sooner on the bottom, so have my cad guy convert it to a format we can use in the vinyl plotter print out a sticker, first one was off a hair so adjusted it, printed sticker measured off the PDF for reference and perfect.

Just need to do the countersunk holes.

Thanks for this saved me a lot of hassle!
Attached Images

98TJ 4bt, 15GSW TDI, 12JSW TDI, 06 A3 2.0t GTX3071R, 00 Audi TTQ, 80 rabbit pickup, 02 LR Freelander
post #87 of 93 Old 11-30-2016, 06:38 PM
jonyj90
1993 YJ Wrangler 

material bend allowance for making parts

First Post!

I've done quite a bit of cad work, I'm in design and cmm reverse engineering in an automotive based prototype shop in southeast michigan.

Just my $.02 for anyone calculating material for a bend. "bend allowance" can be tricky at first but in mild steel the best thickness factor i've found is .44.

I do this daily and it almost always comes out right

[[[material thickness x .88] + inside metal diameter]]x pi]

this will give you material for a 360* circle, divide by 4 for a 90* bend, or by 360 then multiply by your angle.

example. 3mm thick material with 6.35 bend radius around a 90* bend would require 12.05 mm of linear material.

I don't know if this helps anyone in their endeavors, but it makes for less trial and error.
Cts6867 and wrbrd like this.
post #88 of 93 Old 02-08-2017, 06:11 PM
1996logan

yup
post #89 of 93 Old 04-06-2017, 07:19 AM
09SPEEDTRIPLE

1. Quote:
    Originally Posted by tdkask View Post
    Helldorado, are you making it for multiple vehicles or just need one? I happen to have one I will never use nor a late style CJ. It's the same thickness as whatever stock is, I guess. Someone bought it as a aftermarket part and didn't use it, I got it in a trade or something, and will not need it (building a beefier crossmember and bumper combo). It's available for shipping and $15 (beer money).
Is there any chance you can send me a dxf file of the rear crossmember?
i have my jeep down to the frame now and would like to replace the crossmember while i'm there
post #90 of 93 Old 05-05-2017, 09:04 AM
Tomb Raider
Addicted...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09SPEEDTRIPLE View Post
Is there any chance you can send me a dxf file of the rear crossmember?
i have my jeep down to the frame now and would like to replace the crossmember while i'm there
Let me see if I can find the one I had....I'll post back when I'm on my other PC

I like to build stuff. Want to know what I build, you can google it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
door , door latch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.