buying a welder - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > buying a welder

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 09-22-2010, 02:31 PM   #1
XGoBoomJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

buying a welder

I have read a bit on this, and instead of taking my jeep to somebody to pay them and weld i want to do it myself. But things like stiffeners, sliders, minor things around the jeep, up to 1/4th possibly.
Now i know the HF welders are not worth my time, but yet i dont have enough $$ to throw down on a 400-500$ hobart or lincoln really..

Is there a happy middle option? that runs on 120v, decent duty cycle, mig

would use be my only option here?

Unread 09-22-2010, 02:56 PM   #2
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Used will be your best bet here. You will regret buying a HF welder in the long run.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2010, 03:16 PM   #3
ImpactFabWorks
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I would start looking on craigslist.

www.Impact-FabWorks.com

Impact-FabWorks Facebook

Please fill out your profile, It helps us help you!!!
ImpactFabWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2010, 03:52 PM   #4
XGoBoomJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler View Post
Used will be your best bet here. You will regret buying a HF welder in the long run.
As much as i just want to buy even the $99 120v 90amp to just install my stiffeners/ sliders/ lca skids, and a steering brace

It seems it would work for that, taking a decent amount of time on cooldown, but it might be better adding the 100 to the funds for a 2-400$ one i guess..
Unread 09-22-2010, 05:05 PM   #5
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XGoBoomJ View Post
As much as i just want to buy even the $99 120v 90amp to just install my stiffeners/ sliders/ lca skids, and a steering brace

It seems it would work for that, taking a decent amount of time on cooldown, but it might be better adding the 100 to the funds for a 2-400$ one i guess..
I'm planning on snagging a 110 HF welder to start learning and play with before I move up the big leagues. Remember, you can also find 20% off coupons for a single item all over the internet for HF.

$79 for a cheap welder to start learning is probably the best deal in town. Atleast for me that's maybe 2 months worth of saving.

97 XJ SE - DD/Light Trail Rig - The War Wagon
75 CJ5 with a badly chopped CJ7 Tub - Pandora
96 Land Rover Discovery - Black Dog; possible trail toy
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2010, 10:49 PM   #6
baldeagle1
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i would buy a 220 volt lincoln buzz box, can find usedones all time for 100-200
baldeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2010, 11:53 PM   #7
XGoBoomJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldeagle1 View Post
i would buy a 220 volt lincoln buzz box, can find usedones all time for 100-200
I do not have a 220 volt outlet. 110 is the only way for me. there are plenty powerful machines that run off 120v. just cost near 400-500 lol.

part of me wants to just get the 99$ one, im sure once the settings are dialed in i will be able to weld on my stiffeners/sliders. But if they will hold is the question...

or i can have some local 4x4 guys help me out.. hmmm
Unread 09-23-2010, 02:21 AM   #8
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

so you dont have a dryer outlet? Ive never heard of a house not having 220, the line that comes in off the power line from the transformer to the house is always 220-240v. Usually always 1 hookup in the house, the AC uses 220 as well.
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2010, 02:44 AM   #9
ImpactFabWorks
1990 YJ Wrangler 

wiring a 220 plug is easy, and chance are you do have one already.I just don't understand why people spend so much money to just limit what they can do

www.Impact-FabWorks.com

Impact-FabWorks Facebook

Please fill out your profile, It helps us help you!!!
ImpactFabWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2010, 11:12 AM   #10
jeepin1995
1998 TJ Wrangler 

no expert welder by any means, but have burned quite a few things..... here's my opinion..... i have tried several welders, including a HF welder, a campbell hausfeld, a lincoln, and a hobart (110 & 220) with the cheaper welders it was hard to get a good constant line feed..... which makes learning how to weld impossible..... everything with the higher end welders is better quality therefore more dependable/easier to learn on. i couldn't do crap with the Hf or CH..... but with the lincoln and especially the hobart.... i'm actually not half bad!!! if i was you, i'd save until i could afford the welder i wanted. not buy a cheapo to learn. learn on what you're gonna use!!
Unread 09-23-2010, 01:02 PM   #11
bruteboy

the biggest issue for me when I had my first cheap 110v welder was the duty cycle.
when welding 1/8" or thicker material,the welder would heat up and then shut down(thermally protected)
and I would have to wait for it to cool down before continuing.
even welding sheet metal,once the welder got hot,it would shut down and I would have to wait.

any money spent on a cheap welder is that much less to spend on a good one.
an extension cord to the stove or dryer plug should take care of your 220v issue.
bruteboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2010, 10:55 AM   #12
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

X100. DO NOT BUY the HF welder! As mentioned, search craigslist. I have seen many nice welders for cheap on there. A Lincoln, Miller, or Hobart 30 amp is good as long as you are not making safety related items, such as spring perches or receiver bumpers.
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2010, 11:43 AM   #13
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

If you buy a good quality used welder it will most likely last you a lifetime. My first welder was Lincoln stick welder, still have it after 15 years and it was used. I can weld just as nice a bead as many folks can with a mig and it's got plenty of amps to burn anything in that you'll ever need to weld. My point is that you could get by with a stick welder and get one cheaper than you might a mig. Some say a stick is harder to weld with, but I think if you're going to weld you might as well have the skill to use whatever you have, even a stick.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2010, 01:07 PM   #14
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XGoBoomJ View Post
I do not have a 220 volt outlet. 110 is the only way for me. there are plenty powerful machines that run off 120v. just
You won't find any "plenty powerful machines" that run on 110v. 140 amps is it for a 110v welder and you'll quickly learn how limiting it will be if you start trying to weld big pieces of even 3/16". That is why I sold my 110v Hobart welder and bought a Miller 180 amp 220v welder.

I didn't have 220v in my garage either, I moved my laundry room's 220v dryer outlet into my garage which works fine. All I had to do was install the right kind of outlet (NEMA 50-R) to match the welder's 220v type of plug.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.