Buying a good welder for cheap. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Buying a good welder for cheap.

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 05-27-2014, 09:52 AM   #1
mjWJ12
2004 WJ 

Buying a good welder for cheap.

Hello all,
I know this has probably been asked before but i would like to know if anyone can give insight on the Lincoln Handyman like this.

I have a budget of 300$ or less. I

I want to be able to build a bump, roof rack and work on my frame if need be.

I am interested in this one as well.

Please help.

(04 WJ Laredo)3" IRO +3/4" front spacers; Custom rear bumper +d-rings; universal front tow hook; plasti-dipped 16" silverblades; premium sliders; custom hi-lift mount; 265/75/16 Cooper Discoverer ATP.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/mjwj12-build-thread-1436508/"]Here is my Build Thread[/URL]
mjWJ12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2014, 09:48 PM   #2
firegod33
1977 CJ5 

The 110 units are ok for light occasional use but waiting a little while until you can afford a better machine is a good idea. I have both a Hobart 140 (110) and Lincoln SP175+ (220). There is no comparison between the capabilities of the two machines. If you don't have 220 power available, go for the biggest 110 machine you can get. Hobart, Miller, and Lincoln will all serve you well.
Unread 05-29-2014, 12:10 PM   #3
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

I agree. You can't go wrong with a Lincoln, but this is a flux core only setup. You can weld bodywork but your bumpers are out of the question unless you only plan to use 1/8" steel. And your welds will be messy with splatter. Save some more coin and get a larger Lincoln that can use gas. I bought a Northern welder for $370 and it worked great on all my body metal work but for a 135 it's pushing it with 3/16" metal (it claims 1/4" with flux core .035). I wish I'd have gone bigger. But someday...
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2014, 04:40 AM   #4
jason280
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Craigslist is your friend...$300 will easily get you into a Lincoln 140a MIG, if you do your due diligence. I picked up a like new Lincoln 140a MIG a few years back of CL for $200, all I had to do was drive an hour to pick it up. Of course, you'll have to factor in the cost of a tank of 75/25 for shielding, but its well worth it in the long run. Flux core has its place, but MIG will require much less cleanup after you're finished.
jason280 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2014, 08:44 AM   #5
mjWJ12
2004 WJ 

Picked this up.
image-4218326827.jpg

(04 WJ Laredo)3" IRO +3/4" front spacers; Custom rear bumper +d-rings; universal front tow hook; plasti-dipped 16" silverblades; premium sliders; custom hi-lift mount; 265/75/16 Cooper Discoverer ATP.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/mjwj12-build-thread-1436508/"]Here is my Build Thread[/URL]
mjWJ12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2014, 03:37 PM   #6
jason280
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Congrats, now get out there and start welding!
jason280 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2014, 07:24 AM   #7
Mambo_Dave
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have that same Lincoln mig kit. Went to a local welding supply and 'bought' about a foot and a half high cylinder of welding gas (you've got the right tool, so just skip flux core altogether) so that it's way easy to move around and store. I bought thinner wire as well - thinner than comes in that kit, but I was welding thin tubing that needed the lighter touch / less heat of the thinner wire.

Also went to Harbor freight to buy welder's pliers (you use them a lot to snip off the end of the wire to have a fresh start) and one of their auto-darkening helmets for cheap.

PM me if you have any questions about it. I'm no expert, but I have this one running fine.
Mambo_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2014, 07:48 AM   #8
Professur
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjWJ12 View Post
Picked this up.
I bought this guy's much older brother as my first wire feed. Retired it almost as fast. The lack of any fine tuning to the arc makes welding much harder than it needs to be. It got the job done, but running any sort of bead was just slogging. I got cleaner work done with an AC stick. With mine, the stinger wasn't turned off by the trigger ... only the wire feed. Made for a few nasty surprises.
Professur is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2014, 09:06 AM   #9
Brut4ce
2010 JK Wrangler 

Craigslist is your friend....got my miller 251 with 5 bottles 2 electric masks, 35lbs of wire $600 had 15 hours of use....specialty projects company had for if they needed to go to a store and fix a unit....

[B][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="5"]BUILT FOR THE ROCKS BUILD[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/built-rocks-2101897/"][B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="5"]CLICK HERE[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B][/URL]
Brut4ce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2014, 11:58 AM   #10
IlliniJeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brut4ce View Post
Craigslist is your friend....got my miller 251 with 5 bottles 2 electric masks, 35lbs of wire $600 had 15 hours of use....specialty projects company had for if they needed to go to a store and fix a unit....
Jesus that's a steal.
Unread 07-15-2014, 12:39 PM   #11
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brut4ce View Post
Man, I never find deals like that, LOL I always just fine people trying to sell junk for way more than it's worth.
Unread 07-17-2014, 10:44 AM   #12
dirtdudeaz
1983 CJ7 

That is a steal! My millermatic 220 with a bottle, new spool of wire, auto-helmet, gloves, misc clamps/magnets was $1000 on CL. I ended up needing a gun which was another $200. But man, do I love having 220 power! I haven't needed the highest setting yet which is nice too to know that I have more power if I need it.
dirtdudeaz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2014, 02:26 PM   #13
bugsy123

Dont forget you need gas too.
bugsy123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.