Butt Joint vs Mitered Joint ...Please help a newB - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Butt Joint vs Mitered Joint ...Please help a newB

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 11-23-2009, 08:05 AM   #1
dwilliamsceg
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Butt Joint vs Mitered Joint ...Please help a newB

I am building a trailer and can fashion the chassis and other components in a variety of ways. A nagging question that I have is what is better between the two following joint types? By better I mean stronger, more attractive, easier to weld, etc. PLease explain your answer.

dwilliamsceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2009, 08:19 AM   #2
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I think the mitered joint is best myself.

1. If tubing is being used there isn't a hole that needs to be plugged afterwards.
2. In using angle iron you have more contact area to weld thus making a stronger joint, unless you over lap the ends in which case you'll have an uneven surface to deal with later.
3. If you use channel iron it's by far the easiest where to coners meet, just butt the corners together without a miter and you'll see why.

Hope this helps and have fun with the build!
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2009, 08:20 AM   #3
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

A mitered joint is usually better. If i was using angle iron i would miter (butt joints won't have much contact), but square tubing i would just butt, unless the open hole would look funny.
jgorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2009, 08:26 AM   #4
dwilliamsceg
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the comments guys.
Unread 11-23-2009, 08:31 AM   #5
puttputt56
2006 TJ Wrangler 

weld

Butt welds are easier than mitered weld in that it is usually easier to cut 90 degree angles than 45 degree angles. Mitered welds are more than likely stronger (more surface welded) plus if it is box tubing mitered welds close both pieces and a butt weld leaves one end open. Plus the mitered weld looks better when cleaned up than a butt weld. If you are into wood work too the same applies to welding with regards to types of joints you would use. A mitered joint is stronger than a butt joint because there is more surface making contact in a miltered joint to put it is simpler terms. puttputt56
puttputt56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2009, 08:59 AM   #6
limegreentj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

if its tubing being used, they are really both equally as strong, but...one a butt joint, you can add a fish plate and make it a little stronger, you cant do that with a mitered joint.
limegreentj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2009, 09:28 AM   #7
Totallymetal
2007 JK Wrangler 

The miter joint you decribed may work just fine. I have never used that type of joint. I would prefer the lap joint for thinner material. Half open or full open for thicker material (welded both sides). The goal is to get 100% penetration. That miter joint looks like a mess to create and to get a good weld on the outside.

Thought we were dealing with plate... I do like the lap or butt for tube.

2007 JK Rubicon
5.5 Rock Krawler X-factor lift w/37 x 12.5 x 17 BFG KM2s, 5.13 Superior gears
Warn Powerplant HD

Last edited by Totallymetal; 11-23-2009 at 09:58 AM..
Totallymetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2009, 10:27 AM   #8
dwilliamsceg
1997 TJ Wrangler 

FYI. This question is mainly for 2 inch square tuning
Unread 11-23-2009, 10:40 AM   #9
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilliamsceg View Post
FYI. This question is mainly for 2 inch square tuning
just butt it and cap the end. You could even make the cap a bit longer for super strength! A miter on a 2" piece would need to be perfect. Lots of messing with the saw, lengths, etc required for a miter joint.
jgorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2009, 11:29 AM   #10
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgorm View Post
just butt it and cap the end. You could even make the cap a bit longer for super strength!
This is probably the best / easiest way to do it for the framing of the trailer.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2009, 02:06 PM   #11
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1984 XJ Cherokee 

Miter joint...

Need a server? Buy this one!

COTM - October 2012!

If you want to help the sport of offroading visit the EnviroBeat Forum!

Blue Ribbon Coalition | Idaho State 4x4 Association | UFWDA | NAXJA | The KAT Team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Oh man Chili. I feel like a recovering addict that just had a bag of blow, a bottle of Jameson, and a sack dropped in his lap. You screwed me man!
ChiliPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2009, 06:00 AM   #12
dwilliamsceg
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgorm View Post
just butt it and cap the end. You could even make the cap a bit longer for super strength! A miter on a 2" piece would need to be perfect. Lots of messing with the saw, lengths, etc required for a miter joint.
I like this approach. It will be easy to cut and square and the cap/lap application would make it super strong. Thanks for the idea!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.