Burlbook48 builds a camp trailer - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Burlbook48 builds a camp trailer

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChBestop underseat lock boxes @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!

Unread 09-20-2012, 10:03 AM   #31
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Got a little bit more done last night. Again, breezy. But the tailgate is mounted. The hinges are placed so I can remove the tailgate if I need to. A screwhead keeps them from working out... quick and simple. They can also be lubed with a zert fitting on one end. I'll clean them up after this weekend's trip:

The inner panel of the tailgate was simply screwed in place so I can remove it later to deal with the insetting the license plate. Same for the side panels, those will be unscrewed to cut the holes for the LED lights later. I got an idea last night that might look kind of cool.... along with the inset license plate in one panel of the tailgate, have a camping related scene cut out of the outer skin for the other panel on the CNC plasma cutter at class. Then back-light the camping scene with hidden LEDs so it shows the picture in silhouette at night while driving down the road. It would certainly be unique. Thoughts?

Unread 10-11-2012, 10:59 AM   #32
SkippyPB13
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlbook48
Finally got some time to work on the trailer. Made some progress so it looks like more than just a plywood rack.

Framing the sides and tacking before tacking the sheet metal to them:

Added a small rail to support the sides, I plan on having the ability to remove the box when I want to use the trailer for wider stuff. Here's a shot of stitching the rails in place. Liquid refreshment followed:

Several people have asked me why I added a receiver in the back bumper. I told them it was for a third hand, or a work support as needed. Glad I did so, it worked like a charm:

Exposed ends of the square tube frame are plugged with a piece of scrap round stock that fit perfectly. Tack, fill, grind flat... nice.

It's starting to look like a camp trailer. There's still a long way to go, but it's nice to show some progress. Decided to go with a simple box as opposed to the M416 look. I plan on adding side boxes later on, and this will make adding those boxes to the outside of the trailer easier. Different day, different refreshment.
What size tube and sheet metal are you using?

[url]www.SkippyKustoms.com[/url]
SkippyPB13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2012, 03:45 PM   #33
BOISERUNNER
1979 CJ7 

The plasma cut camping scene may become a dust collector if I am seeing it in my mind correctly. Other then that the trailer is lookin great and your welding skills are getting better and better. Update please....
-Doug
BOISERUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2012, 03:15 PM   #34
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies. I didn't think anyone was even reading this thread anymore.

The sides are made from 1x1x1/8" square tube, skinned with 16 gauge sheet metal.

The camping scene will be backed by clear plexy, so dust will not creep into the space behind the cut-out. Good call on your part. I had already thought about that when I got the idea. Otherwise, it would be a catch-all for dust, leaves, wasp nests...

I got the tounge jack mounted, and the top frame roughed out, skinned, and hinged with just enough time to take the trailer on another shake-down trip. This time to the Lost Coast with a bunch of other NorCal jeepers from this forum.

This is a shot of setting up the hinge. It's a piece of 3/4" DOM tube with a 1/2" rod that juuuust fit inside. Cut the DOM into 2" pieces, and it became opposite sides of the hinge for the top.

I used a 6' level to keep all the pieces aligned without drooping, and spaced everything out from the trailer side and top by using 1/2" washers behind the hinge. This keeps the individual hinge pieces from binding on their counterpart's mate. This way the hinge rotates freely.

The trip took the trailer on some nice trail roads, not even close to extreme, but enough to show me some areas to work on. First and second things needed.... shocks and bump stops. But, the trailer did what it was supposed to do, and hauled a bunch of firewood (a full stack all the way across the front of the cargo compartment), a large cooler full of food, clothes, tent, sleeping bags, chairs, stove, tools, etc, etc. I was throwing stuff in the trailer just to fill it up and add weight. The result? The jeep towed it fine on the sand.

Although, I did pull one brain fart.... I made the mud flaps too long. When I backed up to a large sand berm, the flaps got pushed into the tire and the tires backed right up the flaps, ripping them off the metal supports!

No big deal, and a lesson learned on mud flap length. Ten minutes with a sawzall when I got home, drilled a few new holes, and the flaps were bolted back in place, albeit a few inches shorter so that wouldn't happen again. I included these pics since they show the trailer with the top on. The welds for the top skin were not even finished at that point. The top was simply tacked in place and the edges covered with tape to keep any possible rain out. (told you I got things ready for that trip at the last possible moment) You can see in the last pic that the hinge rod hadn't even been cut to length yet.

Never fear, the top is now welded on. Next up, it's time to start building the fenders, so they won't be an issue before long. The frames are made, but I still have to skin them and then make the skirts that transition from the fenders to the trailer corners.

Thanks for reading.

Updates to follow...
Unread 10-13-2012, 10:53 PM   #35
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Awesome hinge design , I will be adding that to mine . Hopefully the royalties wont be too steep . I tore brand new flaps off my old dually long ago , so I feel your pain.
Unread 10-13-2012, 11:40 PM   #36
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I'm lurking here, just not posting. Looking good !
Unread 10-14-2012, 03:51 PM   #37
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

More pics of progress to date. Here's a close up of one of the hinges, with the inner hinge pin/rod cut into a shorter length. I welded all the hinges to the trailer with the rod running the full length of the trailer to insure everything stayed in line. I'll finish up the rod length for each hinge after painting the trailer.

Here's a pic of the fender frames. The corner gussetts not only reinforce the frame, but will allow me a couple strong points to bolt the fender to the trailer side.

And a few shots of the fenders mocked up in place. The final leg length of the fender frame has yet to be determined, and another cross brace will be welded in at the end of the legs to give the fender more strength to resist contact with rocks, trees or whatnot. Right now the brackets for the mud flaps are in the way of the rear leg, so this is just a couple shots to get a picture of where I want the fender to sit. I'm just playing around to see what is visually pleasing at this point. Obviously, the lower I set it right now, the more the mudflap bracket offsets the frame to the rear. That won't be an issue once I cut that bracket off next week.

And a shot to show the width of the fender. I wanted full coverage to keep the cops happy no matter where I drag this trailer, so it may be wider than some others would want. Oh, well...

Remember, the current tail lights will be gone from the their present location, and oval tail/brake LED's will be frenched into the back panels, along with LED backup lights.

That's all I can do for now, work will keep me from any shop time for a while. But, gotta make the money before I can spend it on stuff, eh?
Unread 10-15-2012, 03:09 PM   #38
yamaha225
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Very, very nice looking trailer. I hope to build one some day and love reading the threads about them to get lots of ideas.

Black Jeep Society, Eagle Scout Jeepers
yamaha225 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2012, 11:18 PM   #39
2000-TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Lookin good!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mark-Wood-Carpentry/117967248267233?ref=stream
2000-TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.