Bumper Mounting Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Bumper Mounting Question

New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-15-2013, 01:17 PM   #1
browning16
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Bumper Mounting Question

For those of you who have fabricated your own rear bumper- How are you mounting it? I'm getting ready to build one for my YJ but im not sure how attach it. I don't know if most of you are using the existing holes from the bumperettes and bolting on or if you are just welding it on. Welding would be stronger, but you obviously can't take the bumper off anywhere near as easily. I am yet to see anything about the mounting points of these homemade bumpers. Would a nutsert welded to the inside of the bumper be the best choice? I don't know how else you could bolt on because the bumper itself blocks access to the bolting locations. It would be impossible to get a nut and a wrench in that space to tighten the bolts. If you are using the existing holes or drilling more i'd be interersted in seeing how your bumper actually attaches. Pictures of the inside(side that faces the jeep) of the bumper before it is attached would be great.

browning16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #2
tjcj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The rear bumper i made for my old CJ was made from 2x4 rectangular tubing. I welded nuts inside before i capped the ends. You could also drill and tap the bumper. And then use existing holes in the rear cross member, for the bolts.

Sent from my XT881 freeze ray gun using JeepForum
Unread 01-15-2013, 05:35 PM   #3
jaspepp
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Mine is 2 x 4 x 1/4 wall tube. I used the same stuff to attach it. I basically just stacked a 6" piece on each end between the actuall bumper and the cross member. I capped the bumper ends and left the part the bolt go through open. Probably could have used a better dimension, but its what I had. I would definitely stiffen the read cross member some how when you build the bumper.
image-301556432.jpg  
Unread 01-15-2013, 07:56 PM   #4
yellow04tj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Are you making a 2"x4" bumper? Look at the "sticky" bumper thread, BESRK sells his frame tie ins. I used them for my bumper and it turned out great! I think it's the easiest way to attach a bumper to your frame.
yellow04tj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.