building a tube bumper - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > building a tube bumper

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 08-28-2014, 04:20 PM   #1
4x4Jeep
2001 WJ 

building a tube bumper

looking to have a winch tube bumper built and trying to decide if i need DOM or can use Schedule 20, 40, or 80. is the DOM worth the extra cost? this is all new to me so any help is appreciated.

Unread 08-28-2014, 08:15 PM   #2
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

HREW. seamed tube.

DOM is not necessary for a bumper IMO. but pipe is not teh best choice either, i would (and do) use HREW tube. it has a a welded seam. Cheaper than DOM and comes in the same sizes, where pipe will be sized different

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2014, 08:51 PM   #3
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Pipe is ok also. As Underpowered said the sizes are different as 4" pipe is actually 4.5". Schedule 40 is a good choice.

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2014, 12:44 AM   #4
4x4Jeep
2001 WJ 

ok, thanks. i'm having one built and he's asking me all these questions about what size i want and it's a lot of info.
Unread 08-29-2014, 11:13 AM   #5
AtTheHelm

Usually tube bumpers are made from 1.75"x.120 tube. 1.5" or 1.25" is sometimes used for smaller filler pcs with less structural support.
AtTheHelm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2014, 11:15 AM   #6
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

If using pipe,shedule 40 is most common to use for bumpers and such.

Just for an FYI for those who don't know...

HREW tube is the EXACT same thing as common Pipe,the only difference is the sizes,,they are both made of the same exact material and process and then rolled and seam welded

DOM even starts out as HREW,but is then ran through a Drawn Over a Mandrel process.....

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2014, 11:34 AM   #7
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

And "pipe" gets a protective coating applied.

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2014, 02:30 PM   #8
framanda
1997 ZJ 

I thought pipe was a harder material than standard HREW. I have always been told sch 40 pipe was a little more resistant to dings than tube. Also pipe is measured inside diameter, tubing is measured outside diameter 1.5 sch 40 is like 1 5/8 outside diameter.
framanda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2014, 08:36 PM   #9
AtTheHelm

Astm schedule 40 pipe is a different alloy than hrew and dom tube.. It's built to hold pressure rather be a structural building material. There is 'pipe size tubing' though, which comes in pipe sizes but is uncoated and A500 spec for structural use.

Nominal 1 1/2" pipe is 1.90" OD btw.
Unread 09-02-2014, 09:42 AM   #10
4x4Jeep
2001 WJ 

would 12 gauge steel be good enough for the front skid? i live in FL and don't do any rock crawling.
Unread 09-02-2014, 02:45 PM   #11
AtTheHelm

12 gauge is pretty light, it's thinner than 1/8". IMO 3/16" would be best regardless, you might encounter a rock or two even in FL.....
Unread 09-02-2014, 03:42 PM   #12
4x4Jeep
2001 WJ 

ok, thanks for all the help. i think i have all the info i need.
Unread 09-02-2014, 08:25 PM   #13
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheHelm View Post
Astm schedule 40 pipe is a different alloy than hrew and dom tube.. It's built to hold pressure rather be a structural building material. There is 'pipe size tubing' though, which comes in pipe sizes but is uncoated and A500 spec for structural use.

This was always my understanding.

Pipe is in fact NOT the same as Hrew.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2014, 09:05 AM   #14
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheHelm View Post

The most common NPS pipes seen and used is A53,the old A36 is pretty much become obsolete.
A53 pipe is for LOW pressure and structural uses..which is the most common schedule 40 mentioned here...........

The most common used HREW these people use and most cost effective is the A513-1..which has several chemical composition allowances according to ASTM from 1008-1015....

To really understand the actual chemical composition difference between the 2 would be to take a close look at the Carbon and Manganese contents in the material itself..then notice the very close if not exact alloy...

Also notice the "loose" requirements of percentages allowable to be "tagged" a certian ASTM

Also notice mills pouring the from the same "pot"(furnace) and spread out to different size tubing/pipe sizes and both HREW or CREW.(i've worked many of the US Steel,Bethlehem,RG Steel,,which is shutdown now in baltimore,etc plants on shutdowns and such and SEEN the actual processes).

If you want to get into a real freindly debate without cluttering this man's thread up anymore than it already has and add any expertise to the actual differences in pipe and tube chemical compositons and alloy mixtures in detail according to the ASTM grades..then lets do it over here and open this old thread up where a few of us who actulay work the trades and hands on expereince chimed in on some pretty good debates on pipe vs tubing to clear up some internet myths and mumbo jumbo...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/p...00/index3.html

I'm all for it,for the fact i am in some pre-metalurgic studies at the moment on my own to be more than ready for an AWS-CWI school and test and venture into the WE side of it too(welding engineer)..and i am getting some GREAT help from a GE-Engineer i have known for years as a scheduler on these nuke outages and just this outage he moved up to the new Project manager/engineer for GE now and we are trying to help design some new lifting rigs to make the heavy lifting jobs much easier,safer and quicker..and we have to be "on our toes" so to speak when presenting these designs to the people who will actualy approve the money spent to build these..and that includes knowing the type of steel and such we will be using in our plans..

So i'm all for another debate in that thread to update it if you all like.

Bottom line here,,if i have a choice between common HREW and common NPS pipe and the pipe size fits the purpose..I'd more than likely buy the cheaper priced pipe over the higher priced HREW....

And..i will only reply as i can..i am at the moment in the middle of a Pre-outage prepping for another Turbine outage with GE on overtime and will be on 7-13's and more for a month or 2 in a week or so now..thats why i haven't been around in the past week much

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.