Building a Sierra rack - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Building a Sierra rack

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-31-2010, 07:51 PM   #1
tjwillis
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Building a Sierra rack

I am building a rack similar to the olympic sierra rack. I am by no means a fabricator but what follows is my DIY project. I want a rack to carry a cooler and free up space in the jeep. I was looking at the OLympic Sierra rack and thought I could make one myself. I want something that is easy to install and remove, also the rack can't interfere with the opening of the tail gate. This is my first build thread so if I miss something or if anyone wants me to go into more detail let me know.

First thing I did was remove the spare tire and mark the lug pattern on a piece of cardboard.

I layed out my pattern on a piece of 1/4" plate the same size as my spare tire mount.

Unread 10-31-2010, 07:58 PM   #2
tjwillis
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I marked and drilled my holes.

And installed the plate and the spare tire so I could mark the center of the tire.

I bought a 2"x1 1/4" hitch adapter from Harbor Freight which will be used as the mounting point for my rack. This will allow me to easily install and remove the rack. I didn't like how far the reciever stuck out so I cut about half of it off.
Unread 10-31-2010, 08:04 PM   #3
tjwillis
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I wielded the cut adapter to the plate.

And here it is with the spare tire.

As you can see I now have a very sturdy reciever in the center of my spare tire. This opens up a whole new world of possibilities. For now I am just going to build the cooler rack but this would work for a Bike carrier,Hi lift mount, jerry can mount, and the third brake light that I will show next.
Unread 10-31-2010, 08:15 PM   #4
tjwillis
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I bought a 2" reciever LED brake light from Harbor Freight. The reciever I Just insalled is 1 1/4" so some modification is in order.
I cut the 2" insert part of the light off. This is made of plastic so no problems here.

After the cut this is what I had (from the back of the light)

I opened up the light and removed the circuit board from the housing.

I placed the housing on a peice of heavy guage sheet metal I had laying around the shop and traced around it.

I cut it out with the angle grinder and cleaned it up a bit.
Unread 10-31-2010, 08:25 PM   #5
tjwillis
2005 TJ Wrangler 

A little primer.

And I marked and drilled the holes to mount the light.

Next I cut a piece of 1 1/4" square tube to size and tacked it to the light mountin plate.

Here is the light reassembled and the wiring going in.

I marked and drilled the holes for the hitch pin.
Unread 10-31-2010, 08:28 PM   #6
tjwillis
2005 TJ Wrangler 

And here is the finnished product.
The skull was my wifes idea and very fitting for halloween. I will post more tomorrow when I start work on the rack.
Unread 10-31-2010, 10:24 PM   #7
CJ7Pilot

Really?!? All that work, and you finished it off with zip-ties?

Aside from that, I love it!

Edit: I missed that part about the skull idea... great job!
Unread 11-01-2010, 05:42 AM   #8
tjwillis
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks. I will either figure out a way to mount the skull or I will take it off. I was thinking Hot glue? would that hold up? any better ideas?
Unread 11-03-2010, 09:04 AM   #9
heavypedal
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Great looking project!
Was the skull removed after Halloween?
2006 LJ Rubicon, R.E. Long Arm lift, 35 inch BFG's, ORF sliders, LED's under frame, on board Viair, Hard-rock roll-cage and rear bumper/tire swing w/ gas cans, Cobra CB, Hanson front bumper, Warn 9.5ti winch, Rock Krusher Diff guards, Dana 44's front & rear w/E lockers, Optima battery, Metal Cloak fenders, LED blinkers, B&M trans cooler, Kilby steering skid, Gen-Right hood vents, Oh and... I wave!
heavypedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2010, 04:04 PM   #10
tjwillis
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The skull was removed. I may do another one with the skull in the future. It was pretty cool. I had a buddy of mine do the Jeep logo in vinal for me.

This is the finished product.
Unread 11-03-2010, 06:46 PM   #11
CJ7Pilot

Nice! That looks really good.
Unread 05-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #12
b0bbymc
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I know this is a very old thread but I used this idea and built my own out of a 1.25" surco rack. I had to make my mount a bit different since I still have stock Moab wheels and the center hole is a lot smaller. It works the same, i just swapped the male and female ends. Let me know what y'all think!
image-3634520338.jpg   image-3450012601.jpg   image-3337609427.jpg   image-2336089353.jpg   image-344252486.jpg  

b0bbymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 10:31 PM   #13
Stretch2121
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0bbymc View Post
I know this is a very old thread but I used this idea and built my own out of a 1.25" surco rack. I had to make my mount a bit different since I still have stock Moab wheels and the center hole is a lot smaller. It works the same, i just swapped the male and female ends. Let me know what y'all think!
I like it...where did u get the actual rack?
Stretch2121 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.