building rear bumper with tire carrier... need suggestions for 40" tire - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > building rear bumper with tire carrier... need suggestions for 40" tire

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 10-03-2006, 10:12 PM   #1
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

building rear bumper with tire carrier... need suggestions for 40" tire

so i plan to practice my rear bumper/tire carrier ideas by building my roommate one for her yj that will hold her 33" spare.....

i've found a few hinges but so far the rockstomper seems to be the strongest... comments?

latches seem fairly simple and i'm not too worried about that aspect of it as of now.

questions now... what do you guys think of the rockstomper hinge? any other suggestions?

it will only need to hold her 33" spare but i plan to use it as a test mule to see how it will hold up to my 40" spare. if it works, i'll reporduce another one slightly different for myself.

now before i go and waste my time with something that will never work i'd like to ask if ANYONE has a tire carrier capable of holding a 39.5" bogger SAFELY without the risk of the hinge self destroucting from all the weight and vibrations?

if you have indeed made a carrier please give me your insight as to what you did and how you could have improved as well as things you wouldn't do again or products you wouldn't suggest such as particular hinges, latches, sizes of steel, etc.

my plan thus far was a 2x4" bumper tied it to the frame with 2x2" square tubing that would make up the simple triangle, yatta yatta yatta... it'll be like practically every other tire carrier out there....

ok, i'm ready... throw your opinions and suggestions at me...

-Erik

'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

March 1st, 8pm. WILMINGTON, NC MEET & GREET @ HOOTERS!
Big-n-Broke-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2006, 08:46 AM   #2
JJs99TJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

theres a lot of people that go with rockstomper, including myself.
i am only running a 32" tire for now and have no issues or worries.
a couple other guys i know have rockstomper hinges on their homemade
carriers, running 35's and 37's (GY MT/R's) and they havent had any problems
with theirs either. im not sure how it would hold up to the 39.5" bogger. i doubt
my jeep will ever get to tires that big so im pretty confident my carrier with
the rockstomper hinge will last
JJs99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2006, 09:25 AM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I can't imagine a tire carrier made where the main support point is at one end on a bumper could ever hold up for long with a 40" spare tire.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2006, 09:53 AM   #4
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-n-Broke-YJ
so i plan to practice my rear bumper/tire carrier ideas by building my roommate one for her yj that will hold her 33" spare.....

i've found a few hinges but so far the rockstomper seems to be the strongest... comments?

latches seem fairly simple and i'm not too worried about that aspect of it as of now.

questions now... what do you guys think of the rockstomper hinge? any other suggestions?

it will only need to hold her 33" spare but i plan to use it as a test mule to see how it will hold up to my 40" spare. if it works, i'll reporduce another one slightly different for myself.

now before i go and waste my time with something that will never work i'd like to ask if ANYONE has a tire carrier capable of holding a 39.5" bogger SAFELY without the risk of the hinge self destroucting from all the weight and vibrations?

if you have indeed made a carrier please give me your insight as to what you did and how you could have improved as well as things you wouldn't do again or products you wouldn't suggest such as particular hinges, latches, sizes of steel, etc.

my plan thus far was a 2x4" bumper tied it to the frame with 2x2" square tubing that would make up the simple triangle, yatta yatta yatta... it'll be like practically every other tire carrier out there....

ok, i'm ready... throw your opinions and suggestions at me...

-Erik
you might want to step up to a 2x5" bumper, or maybe even 2x6 for your own use. this will give your hinge a longer lever by spacing out the top and bottom attachments to help resist the bending action the gate is going to put on it when you open the carrier. think about picking up a long pipe and holding it straight out with two hands at the very end. the further apart you space your hands on the pipe, the easier it is to hold it straight. same principle.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2006, 10:28 AM   #5
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Not sure what size the Rockstomper spindle is but I'm gonna assume it's a 1000lb rated piece. If I were gonna hang big rubber off it, I'd go with a 1750lb rated spindle and have the spindle hub tube machined accodingly. Or maybe use a piece of 1.75" OD cold rolled solid stock and just get a piece of thick walled DOM to fit over it as the hinge.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2006, 11:36 AM   #6
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

thanks for the suggestions guys. maybe this is just a bad idea....

the more i think about it, the only time i would probably ever need the spare would be when off road and i don't carry more than 1 passenger then, so maybe i'll just make a carriet that will mount to the roll cage that is removeable.....

the idea of a 2x5 or larger bumper is a great suggestion... in fact, i have a local metal shop with a 10' stick of 3x5 he said he'd sell me for $10 that i might consider... that is, if i decide to go on with this build. perhaps i'll get my rommate's built and then go another route on my own vehicle.

beserk i think if i do go ahead with this build, i'll be following your advice.... very wise thinking....
'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

March 1st, 8pm. WILMINGTON, NC MEET & GREET @ HOOTERS!
Big-n-Broke-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2006, 11:48 AM   #7
mxg342
1984 CJ7 

The main issue when going with larger (more the 4" deep) tubing is the spindle is too short. I ended up purchasing two spindles and welding them together and cutting to the needed length when I built mine. My bumpers are 2x5x1/4"

Another couple things... The latch I bought from McMaster Carr (www.mcmaster.com) p/n 5071A62. It is a De-Sta-Co latch. It has a double lock however. They sell regular ones for about 2/3 of the price of this one.

When welding the stuff together make sure to distribute your heat. I didn't and my carrier warped about 3/4". It is a little upsetting when you spend endless amounts of hrs and find out everythign is off.

My carrier is built from 2x2x1/4" tube.
'84 CJ-7 Junkyard TBI 360/T18/D300, 4" 4WDH Lift, D44 front with ARB and HS/D44 Rear w/ Detroit, 4.56s, 36" Iroks, TFI, TJ flares, Homemade rocker guards and bumpers with swing out, Optima Yellow Top, M8000, York OBA, 6pt cage
"when you're up to your *** in alligators, it is hard to remember that your original intention is to drain the swamp"
mxg342 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2006, 12:33 PM   #8
Divinitous
Disgruntled Jeepforum'er

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Look into the poison spider stinger bumper. That bumper hinges from two ponts and sectures by another two points. It's the best design that I can forsee for something that you plan to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo Ferrari
"The Jeep is Americas only real sports car!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlaine
"Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps."
Divinitous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2006, 02:44 PM   #9
horseman

Look at this site the tire carrier hinge is a 1" Grade 5 Bolt Welded into the 2x4 bumper..... There is no need for bearings, except maybe to pay more for your hinge. It's not a axle so you dont need'em.

http://wrangler.kicks-a$$.net/index.htm Replace the $$ with ss.
[B]Rims:[/B] Stock [B]Tires:[/B] P235/75R15 [B]Wench:[/B] 7500lb Champion
[B]Interior:[/B] Bedlined [B]Paint:[/B] Custom Camo [B]Driving lights:[/B]Hella 500's [B]Rear Lights:[/B]50w Halogen
[URL="http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2426963"][B][COLOR="Silver"]My Jeep Website[/COLOR][/B][/URL]

Last edited by horseman; 10-04-2006 at 02:59 PM..
horseman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2006, 04:26 PM   #10
JTB51B
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Just thinking out loud here, but what if you made the tire carrier swing open horizontally. Take a utility trailer tailgate into mind, something like that. You could use multiple hinges and then use 3/4 pins (hardened of course) as latches. I would think that to be a good solution, swing away to allow the hatch to open, as well as to lower the tire toward the ground. Like I said, just a thought.

Jason
1998 Sport Auto trans, 3.73 gears, D30/lockright D44/Detroit, 33" Mud tires, FT LCA's JKS Adj. Trac bar FT 4" coils, RE GEN II Disco's--1 1/4 JKS BL, 1" MML XD9000i up front, HD bumpers with extraction points.-Done.
1973 cz 250 MX Not much suspension, but 36 BHP at 6k rpms!
2006 Rhino SE, 27" Mud lites and a cupholder.
http://www.caos4x4.com/cmbs/index.php
JTB51B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2006, 04:34 PM   #11
4xfiend
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Aside from the hinge strength, I'd also think that on a conventional a-frame type bumper/carrier you'd have to worry about the carrier leaning away from the body over time due to the size and weight of the tire. Something else for you to think about. Good luck and let us all know what you end up doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
I DON'T FRIGGIN' CARE!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim M
Please keep the facts to yourself; nobody here wants to hear them. This was a perfectly good internet argument until you came along with anecdotal evidence.
4xfiend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.