Building a hydraulic punch press - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Building a hydraulic punch press

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #1
outbackmatt

Building a hydraulic punch press

A few years ago I built a hydraulic tubing bender and have been using it nearly every day since. Recently I got a williams tubing notcher and converted it to hydraulic using the tubing benders power unit. The next piece of equipment I need in the shop is a hydraulic punch press. I dont have the $$ to buy one so I plan to build it.

I have not used a punch press before so I am researching and comparing pics on the internet. I came across this homemade punch press which I really like its simple design. It functions the same way as the hydraulic notcher I built, so I am confident I can make this punch press as well.

I am still unclear on the types of punch presses and their tooling. It seems like there are two?? One that uses a self contained die set like this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Die-Set-Mach...item4174464738

And the other type being like the punch press pictured. Can someone explain the differences here?

outbackmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 05:34 PM   #2
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I've never used either before.. but it appears the one in your link is "self-contained" able to be dropped into any press (with enough oomph) and used. While the one in your pic appears to hold the punch/die individually.

I think it would be easier to maintain proper alignment using the self-contained setup. I'd hate to have the punch come down out of alignment and go "bang".

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 07:54 PM   #3
outbackmatt

I emailed the guy who made it and he said that is a converted mittler bros punch press.

I decided to go the easy and IMO safer route for a beginner and ordered a set of used unipunch tooling to go in my hydraulic press. I like how you can set up multiple punches on templates to make more than one hole at a time. The unipunch is a nice self contained unit to go in a press and will eliminate the dangers of the punch shattering against a misaligned die. The unipunch has its limitations but I think it will be a great addition to the shop.
outbackmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 11:57 PM   #4
WSS
Ps:91

1972 CJ5 

A friend of mine writes cam/nesting software for CNC punch presses. He wrote a custom java for nesting on my plasma too. I guess the punch press must have some "critical" alignment or else....... He spends a large amount of his time dedicated to this art.

Pressing to make a hole is outside my comfort zone LOL.

Our Yellow 72 CJ5 build thread

Yellow Jeep club member #73802
WSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 06:17 AM   #5
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

<--------- Lazy.. prefers CNC Plasma-cut holes..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 10:30 AM   #6
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I can't see pictures on my phone right now so this may be irrelevant but...

All the sheet metal dies I design have 7-10% material thickness clearance per side between the punch and die block. 1/4" material gets 0.025" clearance.
The company we order smaller punches (for fastener sized holes) recommends 12.5% clearance. 1/4" material gets 0.031" clearance.
Our assembly tolerances are held to 0.001" or less.
Hole punches are aligned by centering the punch in the die block using shims. Then the top retainer is lowered (and aligned with the bottom) and dowel hole locations are transfered using fancy center punch dowels.

I'd want a self contained unit for holding that tolerance. But then again, our dies sometimes run at 60+ strokes per minute with .003" clearance. A small misalignment would cause a punch or die to wear out very fast at those speeds, or crash in spectacular fashion.

I personally would go with the self contain bump press. You only bolt down the bottom. Allows it to be used in a variety of presses.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.