Building a cage for the Scrambler - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Building a cage for the Scrambler

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 05-20-2010, 08:17 PM   #1
Beowill

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Building a cage for the Scrambler

Well, graduation is sunday, and summer starts monday. And summer means endless jeep mods for my new scrambler. I sold my TJ because I was ready for something different and Ive found my scrambler.

So,

A half cab cage is what I have in mind. specifically one which looks like the front portion of this one. I did some crude highlighting...

I really like the diagonal bars that go along the legs.

I have a few questions. What size tubing, what bender, what notcher, and what molds for the bender and notcher should I get. I don't want to spend a ton of money on this

Beowill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2010, 07:38 AM   #2
ksheffer08
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
I have a few questions. What size tubing, what bender, what notcher, and what molds for the bender and notcher should I get. I don't want to spend a ton of money on this
1 3/4" x .120 DOM is pretty standard size for roll cages. if your trying to save money, you can use HREW for the straight peices (about half the price.) JD2 manual bender, obviously with an 1 3/4" die (not mold.) JD2 also makes a nice notcher. if your trying not to spend a lot of money, you should have one made. bender, die, notcher, etc will have you in over a grand. plus materials.
ksheffer08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2010, 08:36 PM   #3
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Funny you posted this today. I just took in a CJ7 that is running a Scrambler Half Cab. I'm going to do an interior cage for the cab (owner is also running the stock roll bar that bolts on the fenders).

If you end up getting a JD2 Model 3 and a 1 3/4" die (with a 5.5" CLR), I can give you the bending dimensions for the B Pillar Hoop that goes behind the seats.. I just bent it this afternoon. To maximize room, the tube has to sort of come up, flare out and lean back... running up across the inside of the cab as tight as possible to maximize headroom/interior space.

I plotted the bends out in BendTech and the tube fits nicely. The measurements I can give you would be..how long to cut, where to bend, how far to bend, and how far to rotate the tube between bends. There were 6 bends in all. I'll shoot some pics in the coming days and post them in the Cage Thread at the top of the Fab Forum..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2010, 07:06 PM   #4
84scrambler
1984 CJ8 

A CJ-8 can get a little toward the heavy end so I chose 2" DOM tube. I'm about 120 feet into it for a full family cage. I went originally with buying a JD2, notcher, and the Die and in the end decided to let somebody build it because it was going to be a lot faster and probably cheaper due to how much tube I would have wasted trying to build it myself.

I had somebody local build mine. I provided the material and $1k dollar for labor and got a really nice cage out of the deal. Just some food for thought.
84scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 02:45 PM   #5
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Here are some pictures of a Scrambler cage I did for a customer. 1 3/4" .120 DOM. Using a ProTools die with a 6" radius.

Thanks to our Sponsors:
Delmarva Offroad - F-O-A Shocks - BD Turnkey Engine - Under Cover Fab - Jer-C Transmissions - Quigley Driveshafts

Delmarva Offroad
You call it rolling, we call it R&D! 443-951-JEEP
mferrari is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.