Build Trailer Using Trailer House Axles?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Build Trailer Using Trailer House Axles??

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 07-12-2009, 07:30 PM   #1
jsc7002
1966 CJ5 

Build Trailer Using Trailer House Axles??

I am wanting to build a trailer instead of spending $1000 for one and I was thinking about using some trailer house axles, but I was wondering if there is any way to loose the odd ball wheel/ tire combo, is there a way to swap out the hubs with something more like this:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...2367_200332367

anybody know for sure??

Thanks

Unread 07-12-2009, 08:08 PM   #2
tonsoffun_77
1977 CJ5 

hey i personally use trailer house axles all the time on fabrication projects deending on what im going to be hauling etc...i use them on pipe trailers, bbq pit trailer, and 5x10, 5x12 foot trailers, i wouldnt use them on anything going to be hauling over 10k lbs....but to the point most trailer house axles come 8 ft wide i like to cut them down and then again if you havent done this before you have to get the axle straight etc so it pulls down the road right....The hubs u mentioned are good, but to cut the work down, buy the hubs, and buy thick wall 2 3/8'' pipe and weld to the hub flanges...it works great...hope this helps.
Unread 07-12-2009, 08:20 PM   #3
jsc7002
1966 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonsoffun_77 View Post
hey i personally use trailer house axles all the time on fabrication projects deending on what im going to be hauling etc...i use them on pipe trailers, bbq pit trailer, and 5x10, 5x12 foot trailers, i wouldnt use them on anything going to be hauling over 10k lbs....but to the point most trailer house axles come 8 ft wide i like to cut them down and then again if you havent done this before you have to get the axle straight etc so it pulls down the road right....The hubs u mentioned are good, but to cut the work down, buy the hubs, and buy thick wall 2 3/8'' pipe and weld to the hub flanges...it works great...hope this helps.
Yeah well the only thing it would haul would be a Jeep, and maybe some household items when I help friends move, but most are rated for 3500 each and some are 6000 each.
Unread 07-12-2009, 10:13 PM   #4
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I guess it depends on exactly what you're building, but it would seem to me that if you're gonna spend $45 per side for new hubs it's not really financially viable. Considering you can get 3500# axles with the right hubs in the length you want for $80 from ABC Traier Parts.

I think what I'm getting at is having a free axle that costs money and work to make the way you want for the same price or more than simply getting what you need to start with isn't a good idea IMHO.

BTW, I got a complete axle with spring kit for my trailer for under $200 shipped to the door from ABC.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2009, 10:21 PM   #5
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

stay away from mobile home axles. way more trouble than their worth.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2009, 07:43 PM   #6
johnny9
1997 TJ Wrangler 

ive used them all my life..no problems till the hub needs replaced and you cant find one..unless you know people..
any local axle company has a conversion hub for regular wheels but there 75 bucks per hub and they convert it to 6 lug chevy,toyota rims..but for that price id just buy a normal axle for cheaper..
i wouldnt haul my jeep on this trailor..but i love my jeep,haha
i have a trailor w/2 7500 lb modular frame axles and there real tough and dont break down,but,,,there not a nice a ride as a regular axle either..and they dont have much for qaulity springs,but they can be replaced also for more mulla..
do yourself a faVOR and get regular axles..just my 2 cents..
johnny9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.