body mounted DOM tire carrier - design check - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > body mounted DOM tire carrier - design check

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 11-20-2013, 03:15 PM   #31
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster1407 View Post
This should turn out nice!
I hope so!

With all luck, I will turn the Jeep around in the garage and get started installing the PSC tailgate this weekend. I need that on before I start on the tire carrier.

Things are starting to settle down at the house, so I am hoping to get little things done here and there.

TXST8tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2013, 08:43 PM   #32
xbcasey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Like was said before, the '03 and later TJ's had far stronger hinges. The week point on them is actually the tailgate itself, the hinges bolt to the side of the tailgate and the tire carrier bolts to the center. This leaves the sheet metal to carry all the weight and that's why they start to sag and warp. I converted to a drop down tailgate and used my original hinges to build a tire carrier. I found that 1-1/2" square tubing sleeves right into the stock hinges on my '06, I used a Destaco latch and a home built catch on the other side to latch it. I carry a 32x12.50 on a steel wheel and a gas can for two years on a lot of off road with no issues. I just added a cargo rack and box to the setup and don't have concerns over strength of the hinge, I do have Rokemen trail corners on the way to help beef up the tub though.
image-3383192074.jpg

image-512459429.jpg

image-2343246429.jpg

image-2644208961.jpg

image-3690401762.jpg

xbcasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2013, 09:24 PM   #33
jeepster1407
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Nice setup! I didn't realize the later hinges were that strong...
jeepster1407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2013, 10:36 PM   #34
xbcasey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, the hinges hold the weight with no problem at all and still work just as smooth as ever. The tub shows no signs of stress after two years, but I am going to add the trail corners for piece of mind now that I added the rack on top.
Unread 11-24-2013, 06:37 AM   #35
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Nice setup.

The hinges on my Jeep were the weak point. I had to put my whole body into the tailgate to get it to swing open.

I just removed the tailgate yesterday to start on the PSC trail gate.
Unread 11-24-2013, 11:34 AM   #36
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I pulled the factory tail gate in preperation for the PSC trail gate install.

I couldn't help but hold the brackets in place to see what I am working with.
The link brackets fit perfectly height-wise in the blank space of the corner armor where the factory tailgate hinges were. There is maybe a 1/4" void at the upper hinge, but the bottom could not fit better.

The brackets are a hair too long, so they will get trimmed.

I think the backing plate and roll cage tie-in for the upper bracket will be pretty easy. There is much less visibility on the backside of the lower bracket, so it will take a little more work.

Unread 11-24-2013, 06:44 PM   #37
xbcasey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

It looks like you could weld the brackets right into the spaces in the corner armor to spread the load across the entire corner. The are perfectly setup to weld front and back. I ordered the Rokemen trail corners for that very reason, they go completely under the hinges and carry the load.
Unread 11-24-2013, 08:18 PM   #38
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Unfortunately my Genright corner didn't go under the hinge. I would have to weld pieces in there and then weld the brackets to that. I do plan to weld the brackets to the armor, but it will only be around the edges. I figure it will still be better than nothing.
Unread 11-25-2013, 08:03 AM   #39
hums99tj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I had plates cut to fill the void so I could weld them to the corners but like you said tying it into the cage on top will be plenty of support.
Unread 11-25-2013, 12:27 PM   #40
xbcasey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

If the brackets are a close fit to the cutouts you could weld them right in, then you would be able to weld the backside as well
Unread 11-30-2013, 01:54 PM   #41
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

sub'd.
Wanna see how this turns out. I'm planning something very similar.

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2014, 09:34 PM   #42
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I messed around with one of the brackets for the tire carrier today. Going to mark and drill the lower one tomorrow. I drilled the holes out to use 1/2" grade 8 hardware. Will need to trim off the excess toward the tailgate opening.
They are bulky brackets (1/4" steel link brackets), but I think once the tube work is done and a tire is mounted, they will look proportional. There is some excess material there that can be trimmed away if they still look too big/unnecessary.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.