body mounted DOM tire carrier - design check - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > body mounted DOM tire carrier - design check

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 11-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #1
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

body mounted DOM tire carrier - design check

I am considering building a body mounted, swing out tire carrier for my TJ. I like the Genright design in general, but rather than have the tire sit between the tailgate and carrier, I would rather build something that sits fairly flush to the body/tailgate, where the tire mounts on the outside of that.

Some basic details to start...
I just received my Poison Spyder Customs 'trail gate', so the factory hinges will not be a factor.
I have Genright full corner armor currently installed (will fill the spaces left from removing the hinges).
I also have 4" flush LED tail lights.

My basic idea is to use some 'off the shelf' fabricator parts from Barnes4wd or RuffStuff, etc to put this all together.

Here is the basic design idea:

I am looking at using some frame mounts for control arms on the passenger side that the carrier will hinge from, attached to the corner armor. There will be one upper and one lower.
I would use DOM tube with poly bushing and sleeves at the end of the DOM tubing that makes up the tire carrier. The poly bushings will bolt in the control arm mounts to complete the hinge.
An upper and lower length of DOM tube (considering 1.75" OD, .120 wall) will run from the hinge on the passenger side, to corresponding mounts on the driver's side.
I would use the same type of poly bushing setup on that end, as well as control arm mounts attached to the corner armor.
I would use some sort of hitch pin to allow the carrier to open.
The upper and lower horizontal lengths of DOM would receive vertical supports on either end and the actual tire carrier portion would be built at in the middle of all of that.

I am curious if it would be better to weld the brackets to the corner armor, or bolt them on. I figure either way, there needs to be a backing plate on the inside of the tub at each of the link mounts that bolts to the exterior mount.
Is just a piece of equal-sized plate sufficient, or does it need to be complex and tied into another part of the Jeep?

What I am looking for is some feedback to the overall theoretics of the design, and input on the backing plate support aspect.

This is a basic CAD drawing of what I am talking about.

I have also spotted the Synergy frame tie-in kit for a roll cage that includes the bracket, backing plate, DOM tube, and bushing. The bracket material is only 3/16" thick, where the above items are 1/4" thick. This setup would be an easier install, but I am not certain the 3/16" would be sufficient.

TXST8tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2013, 04:04 PM   #2
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

another thought.....going to drill out the holes for the factory tailgate hinges and use those locations to locate and secure the new hinge mounts.
Unread 11-06-2013, 04:44 PM   #3
grnd93
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I've considered doing the same sort of thing. I would make mounts using boxed tube cut and drilled to fit where the tailgate hinges currently are. Then I'd bend a simple hoop for the swing out. Two short pieces of tube with some bushings and a couple bolts for the hinges. Haven't quite figured out a latch but that should be easy enough. A plate in the center of the hoop could accept the factory mount to simplify things
grnd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 11:40 AM   #4
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnd93 View Post
I've considered doing the same sort of thing. I would make mounts using boxed tube cut and drilled to fit where the tailgate hinges currently are. Then I'd bend a simple hoop for the swing out. Two short pieces of tube with some bushings and a couple bolts for the hinges. Haven't quite figured out a latch but that should be easy enough. A plate in the center of the hoop could accept the factory mount to simplify things
My first idea was pretty much just along those lines. Rokmen made one very similar to that using Johnny Joints instead of poly bushings. It definitely had a cool factor, but I can't justify that expense.

My idea for the latch making something like they did was a 'bear claw' style of latch that would be hidden in a small 'box' that would be welded to the tube. The striker pin would be mounted to the corner armor on the driver's side.
Unread 11-07-2013, 11:41 AM   #5
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Got the link mounts and tube/bushings ordered from Barnes4wd.
Going to take some more measurements this evening and then order the DOM tube and wheel mount plate.
Going with a 1.75"od x 1/8" wall DOM. Same thing Genright uses for their carrier. I considered 1.5"od, but I worry it will look a little small. We shall see.
Unread 11-07-2013, 12:26 PM   #6
Diverdown87
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Is this going to be in the style of the ORFab carrier that will also hold Hi-Lift and Gerry cans? If so I am very interested to see the work you do. Am contemplating this type and losing my Sh^%tybilt rear bumper and carrier.
I was thinking since I have a CJ gate on mine I would try to encorporate the old hinges as part of the carrier. I am still in the planning stages as well so I will watch yours and see how yours will be done.

My idea of help from the man above is a sniper on the roof.
Diverdown87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 12:33 PM   #7
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I like the ORFab carrier. I think it is probably the most thought out and designed carrier out there, but I am more looking to keep the tire closer to the body.

Once the tire carrier portion is done, I plan to go back and add a hi-lift mount, CB antenna mount, and will run a 3rd brake light in the center of the tire mount. I don't anticipate making any mounts for gas cans; however, the thought had occurred that I could make a mount with some of those bolt-on clamps if I ever wanted to add a Rotopax gas can.

My thoughts about using the factory hinges is that I know they can't support the weight of a 31" tire for extended periods of time without sagging, so I don't see them as being a viable option to use with a carrier like this.
Unread 11-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #8
grnd93
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I'm very interested in seeing how this turns out. I have corner armor that I need to install and would really like to do a drop down tail gate. My smittybilt bumper is ok, but I really don't care for the tire carrier part of it.
grnd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #9
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnd93 View Post
I'm very interested in seeing how this turns out. I have corner armor that I need to install and would really like to do a drop down tail gate. My smittybilt bumper is ok, but I really don't care for the tire carrier part of it.
Stay tuned

Just got the DOM ordered, as well as the wheel mounting plate. Ordered from RuffStuff. Good pricing on the DOM....kinda killer on the shipping.
Unread 11-07-2013, 08:09 PM   #10
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I did this. You need to reinforce the brackets. I bolted them on, welded a plate onto the armor and made backer plates.

Mine has hinges on the right and uses an 8 inch track bar tied to the tailgate. There is a video in my build thread.
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2013, 08:45 AM   #11
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermatt View Post
I did this. You need to reinforce the brackets. I bolted them on, welded a plate onto the armor and made backer plates.

Mine has hinges on the right and uses an 8 inch track bar tied to the tailgate. There is a video in my build thread.
I will be using backing plates at each bracket. If I can find a way to tie them into the rollcage or an additional part of the body, I will do that. I think between grade8 hardware, 1/4" backing plates, and potentially welding to the corner armor, I should be ok.

You have a nice setup for your carrier. I like carriers that open with the tailgate, but I have the PSC drop down tailgate (to install), so that is not an option for me. The carriers that I see that open with the tailgate have a much larger bracket attached to the tailgate than the one you have. Has that been an issue for you?
Unread 11-08-2013, 10:03 AM   #12
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXST8tj View Post
The carriers that I see that open with the tailgate have a much larger bracket attached to the tailgate than the one you have. Has that been an issue for you?
Yes. The main issue I've had is that I back into trees and rocks sometimes (or stuff in parking lots honestly) and it bends my tailgate where the bracket sits.

The biggest issue in my carrier is snapping bolts in the hingest and the bottom bracket.
It initially punctured through my body. When that happened I put a backing plate on it that had a re-inforcing bar within the wheel well. That still kind of bent. So after that happened I upgraded to corner armor and cut out some steel from an old dolly and welded that to my already thick armor.

Now the bottom hinge doesn't push in my body any more. (That's where all the force ends up -- the bottom hinge.)

I recommend making that bottom hinge and whatever you mount too strong as hell.
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #13
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I see what you are talking about. I think between the 3/16" corner armor, the body, and a 1/4" backing plate, it shouldn't deflect into the body.
Unread 11-09-2013, 09:41 PM   #14
hums99tj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I going to use 3/16" plate that bolt through factory hinge and put a plate behind each tie in. I built a fold down tailgate so hinge area will be the same as your talking about. I then will unbolt roll cage an tie a plate under it and then weld it all together. Check out Redneck Fab on FB to see our concept.
Unread 11-11-2013, 07:44 AM   #15
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

hums, I checked out your FB page, but did not see anything about a tire carrier, other than the one on your sweet XJ.
send me a link

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.