Boatsides - Some fab questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Boatsides - Some fab questions

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChBestop underseat lock boxes @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!

Unread 10-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #1
jjmoonen
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Boatsides - Some fab questions

Hey guys,

Im pretty set on fabbing up boatsides for my YJ. I have done a fair amount of research and looked around on here for a bit. I even read through E-rocks build on his boatsides (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/e...build-1151311/).

I love the idea of them, but IM not sure how far I want to come down with them. Im looking for some advice from those of you that have them. Does it make sense to come to the bottom of the frame and tie into a skid plate or would just stopping at the top of the frame suffice? Im not sure I like the idea of leaving the body mounts exposed.

If anyone has pics of what they have done I would love to see them.

Thanks guys!

jjmoonen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2012, 05:03 PM   #2
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I think to get the strength from the plate, which is also the new rocker and floor, it needs to come back under and tie into the body. Also, if you went straight at an angle to the bottom of the frame, you would cover the body mounts. You would have to remove that whole piece to get to the body mounts if needed.

I think I would consider making some sort of skid/cover for the body mounts.

Kilby Ent makes some 'body clams'
I think something could be fabbed easier thoand simpler though.

TXST8tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2012, 08:21 AM   #3
jjmoonen
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah I see what you are saying, but I still see the mounts (skids or not) as hang up points. Will I hang up on them all the time, or even once in awhile? Maybe, maybe not, but I think I would rather take them out of the equation all together. Maybe making an access panel(s) in the boatside with recessed screws to get at the body mounts if need be would do the trick. I could fab some structure under the boatside (between bottom of floor and top of boatside) for an attachment point.

It makes sense in my head anyway, execution maybe a differant story.
jjmoonen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.