Boat-side Rockers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Boat-side Rockers

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 02-03-2006, 12:15 PM   #1
E_ROCK
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Boat-side Rockers and Tube fenders

What do you think?

More info on the "how to" here:

http://www.rockfrogs.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=182

www.rockfrogs.org

Last edited by E_ROCK; 09-10-2009 at 10:00 PM.. Reason: fixed link
E_ROCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2006, 12:21 PM   #2
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Looks good! Maybe add some body mount covers to them.
Unread 02-03-2006, 06:59 PM   #3
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Nice!!

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2006, 11:59 AM   #4
E_ROCK
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgertsch
Looks good! Maybe add some body mount covers to them.
Why? The body mounts are always uncovered. I can't see any benfit.

www.rockfrogs.org
Unread 02-06-2006, 01:52 PM   #5
Down&Dirty

Actually the TJ mounts seem to be a magnet for rocks. Atleast mine were. There are many people now putting skids on them to keep them from deforming. The boat sides look great. What did that do to the rigidity of the body? Are you going to stich weld them on or bolt them? Do you have any inside shots of the effect on foot room? Looks great so far.

'80 CJ-5, full width, 3 link front, 1/4 elliptical rear, 38's, and propane.
Down&Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2006, 02:17 PM   #6
E_ROCK
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down&Dirty
Actually the TJ mounts seem to be a magnet for rocks. Atleast mine were. There are many people now putting skids on them to keep them from deforming. The boat sides look great. What did that do to the rigidity of the body? Are you going to stich weld them on or bolt them? Do you have any inside shots of the effect on foot room? Looks great so far.
Cool, I guess I am not worried yet.

I plan on capping the ends with 1/4" steel also. There will be bolts through the firewall and through the rear wheel well. The front cap will be tied to a set of tube fenders that I am working on also. Most likey the tie-in tube to will use the same bolts and the ones going through the firewall.

I will also use counter-sink bolts along the edge just below the door jam. About 8 to 10 of them. The floor board is going to be supported with bolts and crush sleeves where the floor doesn't sit right on the the rocker. The rocker will be support even further when I get the cage in. There will be two floor plates that will be bolted to the rocker and tied into the frame.

To finish off the inside, the floor will be spot welded to the rocker where it is needed. I plan to paint with herculiner to cover up everything.

I will post more pictures when I get further along. I haven't had much garage time lately.

www.rockfrogs.org
Unread 02-07-2006, 05:25 AM   #7
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

It is a lot of work for not much real clearance improvement. I can not imagine this setup geting you through any obsticle that a conventional skin tight rocker will not.
Unread 02-07-2006, 07:35 AM   #8
E_ROCK
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon
It is a lot of work for not much real clearance improvement. I can not imagine this setup geting you through any obsticle that a conventional skin tight rocker will not.
Are you afraid of a little work???

Yep, the setup requires a lot of work. But, I tend to disagree with you. Rockers are like anchors where I wheel. Anytime you get pitched to your side, a regular rocker will stick out like a point. Mine, will have a smooth surface to slide on.

Roughly, I figure that I cut about 624 cubic inches out. (4 tall x 3 wide x 0.5 * 52 long * 2 rockers = 624)

I also went pretty shallow on my inboard cut of the floorboard. A person could go more aggressive, but you would have to have a harness instead of a seatbelt.

www.rockfrogs.org
Unread 02-07-2006, 07:40 AM   #9
E_ROCK
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Also, I didn't have much to lose at this point.

www.rockfrogs.org
Unread 02-07-2006, 08:10 AM   #10
Down&Dirty

That will look great once you get it all cleaned up. That is a lot of tie in bolts. Is the body still rigid enough to provide any support, or would it be better to boatside with some 18 gauge then skid plate it? I know that you are pretty set on your path now, but what would you do different on the design. I am getting materials together to build a '46 CJ with boatsides, full cage, custom frame, and suspension. I think that the boatsides offer a great inprovement in where you can take a rig and what lines you have available. I am just concerned on tub strength. Seems like most vehicles depend on a solid body for a lot of strength.

edit: What ballpark did the shearing and bending put those in?

Unread 02-07-2006, 08:54 AM   #11
E_ROCK
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down&Dirty
That will look great once you get it all cleaned up. That is a lot of tie in bolts. Is the body still rigid enough to provide any support, or would it be better to boatside with some 18 gauge then skid plate it? I know that you are pretty set on your path now, but what would you do different on the design. I am getting materials together to build a '46 CJ with boatsides, full cage, custom frame, and suspension. I think that the boatsides offer a great inprovement in where you can take a rig and what lines you have available. I am just concerned on tub strength. Seems like most vehicles depend on a solid body for a lot of strength.

edit: What ballpark did the shearing and bending put those in?
I guess, I am a little confused of your plans. Are you talking about using the 18ga metal on the inside and the steel plate on the outside? Or are you talking about creating a something off your cage kind of like this and skinning it with the 18ga.

[img]http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/attac...id=43437&stc=1[/img]

Right now, I guess I wouldn't say I would have done anything different. But, I am not very far along either. I am hope that there is going to be enough body support and enough support from the future cage to allow the rockers to take some abuse and hold there shape.

BTW, sounds like you are building a pretty cool jeep!

www.rockfrogs.org
Unread 02-07-2006, 11:04 AM   #12
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelson
Are you afraid of a little work??? Anytime you get pitched to your side, a regular rocker will stick out like a point. Mine, will have a smooth surface to slide on.
No, not afraid of work, if it is for a reasonable return gain (swapped axles and motors and such). My point is, I very much doubt that those rockers, rather than normal non-step skin only rockers, will cause you to winch less often, maybe once or twice a year tops. That 'point' you mention is not a point, but an edge, that slides pretty well. Hey, knock yourself out my friend, and I hope it works out great for you. I just thought I'd speak my piece on it.
Unread 02-07-2006, 11:54 AM   #13
E_ROCK
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon
No, not afraid of work, if it is for a reasonable return gain (swapped axles and motors and such). My point is, I very much doubt that those rockers, rather than normal non-step skin only rockers, will cause you to winch less often, maybe once or twice a year tops. That 'point' you mention is not a point, but an edge, that slides pretty well. Hey, knock yourself out my friend, and I hope it works out great for you. I just thought I'd speak my piece on it.
Maybe you should tell all the comp buggies guys there are wrong?

If notice almost every comp chassis built today has some type of inboard lean.

It has big advantage. I have wheeled plenty of place and that 2" means making in up a line or not. I have seen where someone has made lines with a boat-sided TJ where similar TJ with rockers guards got hung up.

www.rockfrogs.org
Unread 02-07-2006, 09:29 PM   #14
Hokie_YJ
The RockFather

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelson

Gaaawwwdd, I want one of those sooooooo bad! Sometime before I die I will build a PSC Bruiser of a BTF Fusion from the ground up. Even if it takes my life savings.

"Beat it like it owes you money"

Jeep Wrangler with some bolt-on "stuff"
Hokie_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2006, 07:55 AM   #15
Down&Dirty

I was talking about using 18 gauge to rebuild the body. Then using the plate like you bent for the actual armor. I just feel like cutting the corner out of the body will take out a lot of the support that keeps the body from bending. I could easily be wrong, but I haven't cut the bottom out yet. I will also have to reinforce it because I am streching the body 6 inches in the door opening so that I can even fit in. The 2A is a tiny little jeep and I am 6'5". I am mainly shooting for a custom built buggy style frame and cage with a 2a body. Call me crazy but I love the look of a classic flat fender. It is on the back burner now as I collect parts and finish up the 53 wagon I am working on now.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.