Best tire carrier hindge - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Best tire carrier hindge

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 09-28-2010, 10:28 PM   #1
mknight759
1986 CJ7 

Best tire carrier hindge

Ok I am building a few bumpers and have been doing a little r&r on the hindges just curious on what everone thought was the best. I have read about a few failure with the standard trailer spindle cause of all the heat when welding it in.Has anyone had any problems and if so what kind did they use.

mknight759 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2010, 12:23 AM   #2
gremlinsteve
2006 TJ Wrangler 

i think this is the one ill be using on mine.

Netfirms Commerce Pro
gremlinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2010, 02:44 AM   #3
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlinsteve View Post
i think this is the one ill be using on mine.

Netfirms Commerce Pro
Ummm..what does that anything to do with a tire carrier spindle??

Is this some kind of way to spam in a forum?

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2010, 03:16 AM   #4
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

Im also interested in peoples opinions on who makes a good hinge. So far I have found them in 1.25 inches, 1.5 inches and a 1.75 inch diameter one from polyperformance but its over $100 shipped I just started making a rear bumper and need to find something that will work for 35"- 40" tires... Anyone have better luck with one brand over another? they all seem to have the same components...
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2010, 06:46 AM   #5
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Can't speak for everyone but here's my take on it...

I think the two common trailer spindle sizes are 1" (typical 1000lb axle spindle) and 1.375" (typical 2000lb axle spindle). Those are the inside bearing surface diameters.. not the shank diameters. I use the 1.375" spindle with my bumpers. I like them because the seal area diameter is 1.75" and that's where it gets welded to the bumper. They've been reliable for about the past 4 years or so.

The high price for those kits is due to the material/time to make them. My approx material cost (if I purchase a single unit with shipping) is..

Spindle.. $20
Raw 2.75" DOM Tube.. $20
Bearing Kit.. $20
Aluminum Cap.. $8

Then, figure about 30-45 minutes on my $5000 lathe to machine the parts.

Granted, I can purchase my material in bulk and get a better price break.. but then the old "it takes money to make money" comes into play. If I'm going to tie up $1000 in spindle material, I need to earn interest on it while those parts sit on the shelf.

So, I spend $68-$70 for the parts, 30-45 minutes of my time on my $5000 machine and make about $30 in profit (if I don't break a $6 lathe insert)..

... but I don't sell the pivots anymore. It's all I can do to keep up with my own bumpers.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2010, 07:43 AM   #6
smunns

I'm very happy with my hinge from A to Z Fabrication. Not only are they a Jeep Forum Vendor, their mega duty spindle upgrade is only an extra $20.

Tire Carrier Swingout Heavy Duty Hinge Kit
smunns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2010, 08:17 AM   #7
snowrydr01
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smunns View Post
I'm very happy with my hinge from A to Z Fabrication. Not only are they a Jeep Forum Vendor, their mega duty spindle upgrade is only an extra $20.

Tire Carrier Swingout Heavy Duty Hinge Kit
X2 on the AtoZ piece

the kit is cheaper then trying to piece together the parts from the next cheapest sources too
snowrydr01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2010, 10:57 AM   #8
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I used this one.... Tire Carrier Hinge Kit - 1000 Pound They now offer a double shear version.

I went with that one because you don't weld the spindle itself in, you weld in a sleeve then press the spindle in and it has a set pin that prevents it from coming loose, although I can't imagine how it could ever come loose without the pin..... Anyhow, it's not necessarily "better" than any other, I just preferred that design.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2010, 02:39 PM   #9
shadowulf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

+1 for the AtoZ set up.

This is what I was planning on getting, before I found my current bumper/carrier for $120
shadowulf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2010, 05:56 AM   #10
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
I used this one.... Tire Carrier Hinge Kit - 1000 Pound They now offer a double shear version.

I went with that one because you don't weld the spindle itself in, you weld in a sleeve then press the spindle in and it has a set pin that prevents it from coming loose, although I can't imagine how it could ever come loose without the pin..... Anyhow, it's not necessarily "better" than any other, I just preferred that design.
I just ordered the 1750lb one, I also like the weld in sleeve, will make removing it much easier then taking everything apart. I wonder why they dont make the 1750lb one into a double shear version...
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.