Bending square tubing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Bending square tubing

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 08-19-2011, 08:01 PM   #1
Machinist
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Bending square tubing

I need a few pieces of square tubing bent,I am trying to do some cj2a fenders and make them stout but still keep the classic lines of the fenders.I have a jd2 bender with a 1 3/4 inch die but I don't want to buy a square die just to do a few small bends and then have it sit there.Whats a guy to do?

Machinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2011, 12:25 PM   #2
tangotag
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Make some dies yourself.
The roller die will need a slight V centered on it. You can do this by using thick steel pipe and welding a stack of beads around the pipe then grinding it smooth. You will need to weld in center supports to be able to pin the die in the bender. You will also need to make a sliding back support trough to support the tubing when bending the box tube. When in use grease the hell out of the trough.

It is possible to make your own square bending dies, we made a few other sized sets after purchasing one size and using it as a guide.
tangotag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2011, 01:06 PM   #3
Machinist
1995 YJ Wrangler 

My shop is buried right now and I couldn't get one in the machines if I had to.I have looked up a few options and will be seeing which one works out.
Unread 08-20-2011, 03:24 PM   #4
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

If I were going to just do one set of fenders, I think I'd just cut some 1/8" plate into the upper/lower curved shapes.. and then weld in strips of 1/8" along the length (inner/outer).. and grind smooth. I wouldn't want to do that regularly but for one set of fenders, it shouldn't take too long..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2011, 05:29 PM   #5
dwilliams35
2003 TJ Wrangler 

What size square tubing are you talking about? You'd be amazed at just how good a job you can do with an electrical conduit bender: you're stuck with one radius, but if that one will work, it actually does a better job as far as kinking, etc. than most factory benders. I've done 3/4" and 1" square tubing with those same size conduit benders: better bring your big girl panties with the 1": it's a mother to bend.

I know, it sounds ghetto, but it really does work. Seriously.
dwilliams35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2011, 08:35 PM   #6
Machinist
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I thought of the plate and stich.I still need to get the plasma table up and running.Too much going on need to slow down and get some stuff done.I think I found a way to do it,I will let you know if it works out for me.
Unread 08-20-2011, 09:02 PM   #7
tangotag
2003 TJ Wrangler 

This shows how the die with the V inside and support trough work to bend square tube.
tangotag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2011, 06:17 PM   #8
AlmostElmo
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I made one for my shops manual bender. I used a piece of 4" diameter round stock. Cut it to the width of my tubing (3/4"), rolled a piece of 1/4" round stock around it and tacked it in a few places to act as a crush ring. Then I put two plates on the top and bottom of the die to keep the tubing centered.

Here's a crappy pic of it and a piece of tubing that I bent with it and another shot of the inside of the bends.

In that second pic the tubing looks deformed on the top, but trust me it isn't. Having the plates on the top and bottom of the die kept the top and bottom of the tubing flat and square. It worked out very well and was very simple to make.

Last edited by AlmostElmo; 08-22-2011 at 05:42 AM..
AlmostElmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2011, 06:31 PM   #9
SteveD
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Nice bends AlmostElmo. Would you mind posting a pic of your manual bender when you get a chance. Is it something that I would be able to make a copy of? My son wants to build a roof rack for his GC and would like to use 1 inch square tube, Thanks.
SteveD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2011, 07:02 PM   #10
AlmostElmo
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
Nice bends AlmostElmo. Would you mind posting a pic of your manual bender when you get a chance. Is it something that I would be able to make a copy of? My son wants to build a roof rack for his GC and would like to use 1 inch square tube, Thanks.
Thanks. I'll post some pics tomorrow. The bender is a Hossfeld Model 2. I'm not sure if you're asking about copying the bender or the die...the die shouldn't be too hard to make.

Last edited by AlmostElmo; 08-24-2011 at 09:56 PM..
Unread 08-21-2011, 07:33 PM   #11
SteveD
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks, hoping to make a simple bender, if yours at work is too complicated I may try to copy your die and mount it to a plate with a stop, I appreciate your help and input.
Unread 08-22-2011, 05:41 AM   #12
AlmostElmo
1998 TJ Wrangler 

For anyone interested in the die I made for bending 3/4" square tubing, here are some clearer photos. I made the die to be used on a Hossfeld Model 2 bender.

I used a piece of 4" solid round stock. I cut it to 1" long, drilled a hole for the center pin on the bender, and turned down 1/8" steps on either side to center the rings I had made for it. For the crush ring, I rolled a piece of 1/4" round stock, centered it on the inner die, welded the ends on and tacked it in a few places (had to grind the tacks down so they wouldn't put little dents in the tubing.) The rings were 5/8" deep so the tubing would be supported from bulging out on the sides while still having room for the follower to pass over the die. I added the short piece of tubing to the start of the die to act as a stop so I could accurately measure where each bend would start. I had access to a lathe to machine the 4" round stock and a CNC laser to cut the outer rings but it could definitely be done with less sophisticated equipment.

Last edited by AlmostElmo; 08-24-2011 at 09:56 PM..
Unread 08-24-2011, 08:13 PM   #13
SteveD
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks again AlmostElmo. Those pictures are just what I needed. I am going to try to copy your die, I sure it won't look as professional as yours. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out.
Unread 08-24-2011, 08:25 PM   #14
Machinist
1995 YJ Wrangler 

so how does it work in the bender.I know all the holes in my die uses pins but I dont see any hols in yours.Thats a great way to make dies also.I will be copying that method also
Unread 08-24-2011, 09:44 PM   #15
AlmostElmo
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
Thanks again AlmostElmo. Those pictures are just what I needed. I am going to try to copy your die, I sure it won't look as professional as yours. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out.
No problemo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinist View Post
so how does it work in the bender.I know all the holes in my die uses pins but I dont see any hols in yours.Thats a great way to make dies also.I will be copying that method also
Yeah, I just realized I misspoke earlier in the thread, the bender being used isn't similiar to a JD2 Model 3, it's a Hossfeld Model 2 which is a different style bender. Instead of the die moving, the die is stationary and the follower pulls the tubing over the die.

http://www.hossfeldbender.com/bender...-tube-pipe.php

So the die sits on the center pin and I just used a piece of pipe on the follower pin to act as a roller and there is a stop built into the bender. I don't think it would be too difficult to put some holes in your die to work with your bender type though.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.